Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Championship Finale

• 03-05-2008 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Blackpool v Watford, 14:00
    Bristol City v Preston, 14:00
    Cardiff v Barnsley, 14:00
    Charlton v Coventry, 14:00
    Crystal Palace v Burnley, 14:00
    Ipswich v Hull, 14:00
    QPR v West Brom, 14:00
    Scunthorpe v Colchester, 14:00
    Sheff Wed v Norwich, 14:00
    Southampton v Sheff Utd, 14:00
    Stoke v Leicester, 14:00
    Wolverhampton v Plymouth, 14:00

Green - Could clinch automatic promotion
    Orange - Could reach playoffs
    Red - Could go down

Needless to say, absoultely huge day for the Saints tomorrow. Absolutely mind-boggling to wonder how we've gotten here but all that goes out the window and it all comes down to an undoubtedly mental 95+ minutes at St. Marys tomorrow. A win is a must, we can't risk playing for a draw. Six games ago a Blackpool player was quoted as saying that he thought 50 points would be enough for survival... if only.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]1  	West Brom  	45  	31  	78
    2 	Stoke 	        45 	14 	78[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]3 	Hull 	        45 	19 	75
    4 	Bristol City 	45 	-2 	71
    5 	Watford 	45 	6 	69
    6 	Crystal Palace 	45 	11 	68[/COLOR]
    7 	Wolverhampton 	45 	4 	67
    8 	Ipswich 	45 	8 	66
    9 	Sheff Utd 	45 	6 	66
    10 	Plymouth 	45 	11 	64
    11 	Burnley 	45 	-2 	62
    12 	Charlton 	45 	2 	61
    13 	Cardiff 	45 	1 	61
    14 	QPR 	        45 	-4 	58
    15 	Preston 	45 	-3 	56
    16 	Norwich 	45 	-7 	55
    17 	Barnsley 	45 	-10 	55
    18 	Blackpool 	45 	-5 	53
    19 	Coventry 	45 	-9 	53
    20 	Sheff Wed 	45 	-4 	52
    21 	Leicester 	45 	-3 	51
    [COLOR="Red"]22 	Southampton 	45 	-17 	51
    23 	Scunthorpe 	45 	-23 	45
    24 	Colchester 	45 	-24 	37[/COLOR]

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

West Brom are pretty much up, but with Stoke or Hull filling the other automatic spot I can see Derby's record as the worst ever Premier League team only lasting one season. That said, I hope I'm wrong and I'd like to see Hull going up, it's always good to see a smaller team mixing it with the big boys. Wouldn't mind seeing Bristol City going up through the playoffs for the same reason.

At the other end of the table it's shocking to see so many teams that were in the top division not that long ago. I hope Southampton stay up, I've always had a soft spot for them since the 1976 FA Cup final. However their goal difference could be their undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm hoping Stoke go up as champions as have them backed pre season at 28/1 for title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Really exciting finish for neutrals. Southampton have the advantage over Leicester IMO as Leicester have to visit a side looking to clinch automatic promotion.

Glad to see WBA coming back up, really think they have enough to mix it up in the Premiership. I fancy Stoke to come up alongside them, then the playoffs are anyone's bet.

Can't wait for Stelling & Co, with all the games kicking off together poor Jeff is gonna give himself a strepped throat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Really exciting finish for neutrals. Southampton have the advantage over Leicester IMO as Leicester have to visit a side looking to clinch automatic promotion.

But Stoke only need a draw, that could work in Leicesters favour. Saints are playing Sheff Utd who have nothing to lose and can afford to go for broke. I can see there being plenty of goals at St. Marys.
    Glad to see WBA coming back up, really think they have enough to mix it up in the Premiership. I fancy Stoke to come up alongside them, then the playoffs are anyone's bet.

Definitely delighted WBA are coming up too, I really like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I'm hoping Stoke go up as champions as have them backed pre season at 28/1 for title.

that'd be a nice payoff! well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hoping Leicester get relegated, that said Southampton wouldn't be missed either in the Championship. Blackpool shouldn't be down in the scrap for relegation because they have played some nice football all season.

Hoping Hull beat that other crowd and get an automatic place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kind of hoping Sheffield Wednesday go down, so I can go their with Orient next season. Gonna be an exciting afternoon.

As it stands Southampton are staying up, just went 2-1 up and Leicester game is goalless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Come on the Saints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wats the story wit wednesday as it stands?

• Advertisement

Well they're winning so they're safe

1516: Oh to be a Foxes fan - news of the Southampton goal filters through at Stoke and Leicester supporters look like someone's just come into their house on Christmas Eve and replaced all their presents with a Daniel O'Donnell LP. Ouch.

ROFL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thanks

Leicester just hit the post and had a shot cleared off the line. I'd say Plymouth fans have very wide smiles today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jaysis, SheffYoo score

S'hampton back in the relegation zone.

Ah balls

1524: GOAL - Crystal Palace 5-0 Burnley
    Party time and proper champagne football for Palace, who go five goals to the good with an excellent strike from Clinton Morrison.

3-2 Saints! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    3-2 Saints! :eek:
    Wow

Watching the Stoke game but I can imagine what Le Tiss was like in the studio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

**** the Premiership. This is football.

• Advertisement

Leiecester just denied a stonewall.

33 goals in 12 games so far.

John Stern just sent off for the Saints and Leicester piling on the pressure at Stoke.

I wonder if Martin Allen is watching this with his feet up.

John Stern just sent off for the Saints and Leicester piling on the pressure at Stoke.

It's just gone away from them in the last five minutes. If relegation was all done to their performance today they count themselves desperately unfortunate. However, that isn't the case. Over the course of the season they haven't been good enough and in truth - they have been poor over the past couple of seasons.

Another side that was in the premiership for a number of years to fall through the trap door of the championship.

Pitch invasion at Stoke, game isn't over!

Jaysus. Football fans are never the smartest bunch.

By the way, getting relegated with a goal difference of -3 is lol.

Saints game is over, they are safe.

Congrats Saints (and MrJoeSoap!) and Stoke.
    Hard luck Leicester.

G'wan the Saints! See ya Holloway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Hoping Crystal Palace can get through the play-off's, then we'll see Morrison and Scanell playing in the top-flight :D

Fookin' hell, margins were thin today. Wolves were 1 goal away from the playoffs.

So, according to my calculations that makes:

Watford vs Hull
    Crystal Palace vs Bristol City

Hull and Palace are the teams with the most momentum, but I fancy a Watford vs Palace final.

I <3 the Championship! :pac:

As far as I am aware, the team that finishes third in the league table at the end of 46 games has an abysmal record in the playoffs so I wouldn't expect Hull to progress.

Yeah, if memory serves Derby are one of the only teams to do it in recent years.

Wouldn't mind Hull coming up though, they seem pretty ambitious. Phil Brown would probably get a bit to spend. AFAIK they tried to sign Christian Vieri last summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

AFAIK they tried to sign Christian Vieri last summer!
    Judging by his performance against Rangers, it's a good thing they missed out on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, the team that finishes third in the league table at the end of 46 games has an abysmal record in the playoffs so I wouldn't expect Hull to progress.
    That trend may be reversing though. For the past 2 seasons, both Watford and Derby finished 3rd and were promoted!
    I honestly don't mind which of the 4 playoff teams makes the big league...I'm just delighted that Wolves failed!:D

• Advertisement

That trend may be reversing though. For the past 2 seasons, both Watford and Derby finished 3rd and were promoted!
    I honestly don't mind which of the 4 playoff teams makes the big league...I'm just delighted that Wolves failed!:D

B-b-b-but they have all those wonderful Irish players. You should be out buying their jersey and bringing the kids over to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Leiecester just denied a stonewall.

Thats the trouble with reading the text commentary! That was never a penalty!

COTS! I f*cking love this league. 3 points seperated the 7 teams from 22nd upwards in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

missed the final days action but what a fantastic season this was, pisses over the Premiership for entertainment value left right and centre!

congrats to West Brom, Stoke and Nottingham Forest on their promotions this weekend. unfortunately unless Stoke get some serious investment i can see a Derby County-esque for them next season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

COTS! I f*cking love this league.

Lol really? glad to be spending another year in it?

leicester fan on tv crying was ****ing hilarious.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Promotion to the premier league what do it mean - it means absolutley everything to a stoke fan at this moment in time . I was so caught up in the party that i didnt know leicester had gone down til i got on the bus to bring me back to the pub .Comiserations to leicester fans , hope ye bounce back next year
    but for us stokies - We are Premier League !!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement