Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So I bought mu "luxobarge" last Thursday.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

[I know what you mean, I am really in two minds about it. I have been looking for a similar car around the same money, but there is nothing. I just don't think I will get anything near as good. But then if it is repaired it might never be right. I know this is in the UK, but does anyone know what my rights are regarding satisfaction with a repair? I have heard very good reports about the quality of worked carried out by the outfit that have the car, they are highly regarded

Before the garage hands the car back to you , you will be asked to sign a satisfaction note (well thats the way in works in Ireland). This is the time to scrutinize the work done. It would be worth to employ the services of a qualified motor assessor to make sure all is in order. They can do a full report and judge things like alignment , quality of finish etc.
    Funny story about the airbags.... The car was booked into the garage the following morning to investigate an airbag warning light. After the impacts I was helpfully informed by the car that it was sorry, the airbags and the pre-tensioners should have gone off, but did not. There was a distinct smell of cordite, or similar substance, so it seems the charges went off but nothing deployed.

The fact the airbags didnt deploy could make a big difference with regard to the repair cost and incidently wether car is written off .
    My insurance company says this will be the trickiest part of getting a settlement. I think it is fair to say that the second driver driver going faster and braked later, but how do you figure that into percentages

This would'nt be an exact science , but the insurance assessor could probably tell the speed of imapct of the Golf with the Mondeo. They would take into account your version of event when you say the second bang was much harder . I would guess 70/30 or 80/20 in favour of Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Barr wrote: »

Before the garage hands the car back to you , you will be asked to sign a satisfaction note (well thats the way in works in Ireland). This is the time to scrutinize the work done. It would be worth to employ the services of a qualified motor assessor to make sure all is in order. They can do a full report and judge things like alignment , quality of finish etc.

The fact the airbags didnt deploy could make a big difference with regard to the repair cost and incidently wether car is written off .

This would'nt be an exact science , but the insurance assessor could probably tell the speed of imapct of the Golf with the Mondeo. They would take into account your version of event when you say the second bang was much harder . I would guess 70/30 or 80/20 in favour of Mondeo.

Doesn't it normally work that the person the OP hit would claim from the OP, OP would claim from Mondeo covering damages and payout on car in front and the mondeo would claim that cost plus damages to the Mondeo, lumping the Golf with the most of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ninty9er wrote: »

Doesn't it normally work that the person the OP hit would claim from the OP, OP would claim from Mondeo covering damages and payout on car in front and the mondeo would claim that cost plus damages to the Mondeo, lumping the Golf with the most of the bill.
    No one will be claiming from me....:D I did not cause any damage. I think in cases where the front car got hit by a second car and then the second car got hit by the third, but did not hit the first one again, this would be the case.

I think it gets more complicated when the second car hit me twice, but only one time under its own steam. In this case it is conceivable that the insurer of the second car will argue that they are not liable for all the damage to my car, as damage was undoubtedly caused by the second impact, which was nto technically her fault. Equally, the insurer of the third car can argue that they are also not responsible for all the damage as the car was already damaged at the time of the impact caused by their insured.

Interesting times...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr P you were inconsideratly stationary. Oh yeah don't forget to sue BMW Ireland for the airbag failure. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote: »
    don't forget to sue BMW Ireland for the airbag failure. ;)
    Or BMW UK! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Airbag faults are quite common in the 7 series. had an relative who crashed their 7 series because the airbag blew up before any impact. the airbag caused the crash. Court Case pending in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very sorry to hear about your troubles :(

Supreme car, great luxobarge! I'm sure you were just starting to love that car. But if it is a borderline write-off, I would push that agenda. The (repaired) car will never give you the same feeling of safety. You won't be able to sell the car on if someone would ask you the dreaded question. Have it written off. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about your troubles :(

Supreme car, great luxobarge! I'm sure you were just starting to love that car. But if it is a borderline write-off, I would push that agenda. The (repaired) car will never give you the same feeling of safety. You won't be able to sell the car on if someone would ask you the dreaded question. Have it written off. Move on.

And take a look at unkel's sig...can we interest you in an immaculate, older luxobarge with no reported airbag issues:D:D

I'm surprised you still have it unkel, it's a stunning car.

I like the new shape, and I have to say, in the short time I had it, I grew very very fond of the 4.4 v8 and the space in tghe long wheel base version. Plus, there are some serious bargains over here...

MrP

Got the quote for the repair. £11500. That is for bodywork, but might include aribags etc. Once that is complete it will have to go to the BMW garage for a system check and any further repairs that may come up.

Insurance company is sending an assessor to check the quote and make a decision.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fvck. I'd deffo nudge them towards a write-off and start again.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭golfpaul

MrPudding wrote: »
    Funny story about the airbags.... The car was booked into the garage the following morning to investigate an airbag warning light. After the impacts I was helpfully informed by the car that it was sorry, the airbags and the pre-tensioners should have gone off, but did not. There was a distinct smell of cordite, or similar substance, so it seems the charges went off but nothing deployed.

:eek: glad to hear eyeryone was ok MrP. Hope you get it sorted out soon. Regarding the airbag fault this can be for a number of reasons:
    A loose connector
    Alarm Installation
    Stereo Installation
    Seat removal
    Seat upgrade
    Seat belt replacement
    Steering Wheel removal
    Steering Wheel upgrade
    Fuse Removal
    A corroded connector
    Unplugged Wiring harness
    Body Work
    Engine compartment work

Depending on the fault the airbag may or may not activate in an impact. So everyone reading this with an airbag light on please get the fault diagnosed asap, it could save your life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Got the quote for the repair. £11500. That is for bodywork, but might include aribags etc. Once that is complete it will have to go to the BMW garage for a system check and any further repairs that may come up.

Insurance company is sending an assessor to check the quote and make a decision.

MrP

If you go the repair route are you not reducing the value of your car when it comes around the selling it?

Ouch! :eek:

What's the value of the car roughly, MrPudding? If it isn't that much more than the repair quote, I'll second Mike's suggestion
    golfpaul wrote: »
    So everyone reading this with an airbag light on please get the fault diagnosed asap, it could save your life!!

+1

Our '01 Rover 75 had an airbag light coming on intermittently. I booked it into Ryan's garage in Blanchardstown (previously a main Rover dealer) within a few days of the light coming up. Was there yesterday and the diagnostics suggested it was a loose sensor on the drivers door. Caused by frequent moving of the drivers seat (both me and Mrs unkel drive it). Sensor fixed. Total bill was just €78. Well worth the piece of mind!

Ouch! :eek:

What's the value of the car roughly, MrPudding? If it isn't that much more than the repair quote, I'll second Mike's suggestion
    £19495. I am going to wait to see what the insurance company assessor says tomorrow.

Completely off topic, but I checked on the revenue site to see what the VRT would be on one of these things..... €12000 odd. Fcuking rip off.

MrP

I checked on the revenue site to see what the VRT would be on one of these things..... €12000 odd. Fcuking rip off.

Suggesting an OMSP of €40k here. Seems high to you, but it's not unrealistic imho. The high price is caused by the initial depreciation over here being quite low. The early ones are now 6 years old and still quite pricey. Also it is still the current model. Wait to see what happens to the second hand prices here next year and the year after. Next year the successor to the E65 should be available in RHD and the early cars hit the magic 7 years of age when prices start to crumble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Suggesting an OMSP of €40k here. Seems high to you, but it's not unrealistic imho. The high price is caused by the initial depreciation over here being quite low. The early ones are now 6 years old and still quite pricey. Also it is still the current model. Wait to see what happens to the second hand prices here next year and the year after. Next year the successor to the E65 should be available in RHD and the early cars hit the magic 7 years of age when prices start to crumble!

What's the current successor to the E65 called? Where is it currently available?

When you talk about prices dropping you are referring just to e65 prices right or is the whole market set to come down.

What's this magic 7 years of age??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

£19495. I am going to wait to see what the insurance company assessor says tomorrow.

so its worth 20K and about 12 to repair...its a write off for me every time.
    Dont contend with anyless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What's the current successor to the E65 called?

F01. The E66(the Long Wheelbase one) is being replaced by...the F02. All future BMWs will use F rather than E as the internal code by BMW, the next generation 7 series being the first BMW to be affected by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Am I missing something here, why would the airbags in the bmw go off. The airbags are triggered by an accelerometer, Only a front or side impact will trigger the appropriate bags. A rear end collision would not trigger an airbag deployment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Completely off topic, but I checked on the revenue site to see what the VRT would be on one of these things..... €12000 odd. Fcuking rip off.

MrP

can you get it vrt'ed while in the crashed state , get a reduced value ?

What's the current successor to the E65 called? Where is it currently available?

The F01 will be available later this year, but RHD usually takes a while longer, so sometime during '09 I'd expect
    When you talk about prices dropping you are referring just to e65 prices

Yep I was talking about the E65 in particular (When I state E65 I mean the current 7-series. Strictly speaking the E65 is the standard version and the E66 is the long wheel base version, but I'm lumping them all together for simplicity)
    What's this magic 7 years of age??

I've owned large old V8 petrol BMWs for nearly 8 years. My budget is very limited. I've kept an eye on second hand prices for a long time. From my experience, prices drop like a stone once a high-end, big petrol engined BMW reaches about 7 years of age. Typically there is a new model out about then. Also, the aversion of the Irish buyer to paying big road tax, the aversion of the Irish buyer to 100k+ miles car and the aversion of the Irish buyer of buying old cars all play roles here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If it's a write off and you want to sell it P.M. me, I'll give you a fair price for it.

stratos wrote: »
    Am I missing something here, why would the airbags in the bmw go off. The airbags are triggered by an accelerometer, Only a front or side impact will trigger the appropriate bags. A rear end collision would not trigger an airbag deployment.
    I am not sure about the exact workings of the airbags, though I know I was thrown forward during the impacts. I think it was reasonable for them to go off.
    junkyard wrote: »
    If it's a write off and you want to sell it P.M. me, I'll give you a fair price for it.
    I'll keep that in mind, though it is in the UK.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Ouch!! Just be glad you were not using your other Beemer at the time.
    GS 's are strong , but not that strong.
    Mind you you would probably not have been stationary in traffic in the first place.

Rippy wrote: »
    Ouch!! Just be glad you were not using your other Beemer at the time.
    GS 's are strong , but not that strong.
    Mind you you would probably not have been stationary in traffic in the first place.
    Very true. I would not be around to talk about it. I got a new one, by the way. Slightly long story, the first one blew up, I complained and then they kind fio gave me a new one..... Everyone's a winner.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Very true. I would not be around to talk about it. I got a new one, by the way. Slightly long story, the first one blew up, I complained and then they kind fio gave me a new one..... Everyone's a winner.

MrP

like brand new one?

GavMan wrote: »
    like brand new one?
    Yes, a brand new one. I had to put a small amount to it, but it was an offer I could not refuse.

Back to the car. I have just spoken with the insurance company assesor, he is writing the car off. So the search for a new one begins....

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Thats good news Mr.P, im delighted for you, hopefully you can find one similar to the old one, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

junkyard wrote: »

If its a write off don't the insurance company own it ?

Advertisement