Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what do you think of xsaras lads?

Options
  • 03-05-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

just thinking of getting one of these. these cars are extremely cheap on the second hand market. are they relible or are they soft on bushings etc? id be driving it hard enough as the west cork roads aint smooth and i admittadly drive a bit too fast :o if they are relible, would love a 3dr '00

whats your experience with these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I was in one recently at over 110 km/h on backroads in Wesht Cork and it was well able for the bumps. The diesel(the really old TurboD one) was surprisingly quiet too(for a diesel of course). One of the most surprising cars I've ever gone in, as surprising as the old shape Volvo S40 if you ask me. And that's a complement, especially from someone who normally has zero interest in anything French car wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sounds good E92, do you reckon they are relible long-term? i remember one of my mates saying how a 306 was the best car he ever had for handling and he was/is a maniac on the road, he used to crash/banjax many cars indeed! the french know how to make a good handler, 205 GTI, 206 was terrific in wrc as are citreon are nowadays. hopefully a person with one will come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're a good handler, they're basically the same as a 306 (this is being discussed in the thread "Van Opinions") reliability wise they're not the best, but the diesel engines are rugged enough.

any particular common problems pop up? ill look for that thread,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bigger, more refined ZX. 13' 8" long by 5' 7" wide and weighing from 1,030kg. Much improved safety features. Ingenious (patented) side-impact protection.

3-Star above-average performance in NCAP crash testing.

Good 1.8 litre 16-valve engine. Excellent ride quality and bump absorption. Sharp turn-in with enhanced rear steer effect (very little understeer). 2.0 litre 167 bhp coupe seriously quick and a fine, safe handler.

Estates better than 5-door hatchbacks, with lots of room, better handling and no sacrifice in ride quality.

Evergreen 1.9 XUTD still good. New 2.0 HDI diesel from early 1999, first with 90bhp; later with 110bhp. Three-piece bumpers cheap to replace. 12-year body warranty from September 1999.

Major facelift in autumn 2000 made it much better looking, but slightly reminiscent of defunct Ford Scorpio. New 110 bhp 1.6 16v engine replaced old 1.6 and 1.8. SX with a/c and abs costs £11,995 after £1,000 cashback.

Three year 60,000 mile mechanical warranty announced 24/10/2000.

New 137bhp 2.0 litre 16 valve engine available in coupe, 5-door and estate car bodies. Still a family car that offers good handling and driving pleasure. HDI 110 with 10.3 second 0-60, 54mpg and £110pa VED launched in May 2001 at £12,350 for the hatchback and £13,150 for the estate. Automatic gearbox option available on both at an extra £1,020.

HDI 110 voted Caravan Club Towcar of 2001 in up to £13,500 class.

Low 3 out of 9 point death rate from accidents in this model.

1998-2000 petrol models rated average for breakdowns, problems and faults in 2003 Which survey. Surprising and welcome 3rd best in 2006 www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey i have a 01 diesel xsara and have to same it is a very reliable car. The diesel is unreal economy wise though i do have to say at her age and mileage ya kinda have to wait till she is warmed up before planning a quick gettaway:o but it's the 90 bhp as opposed to the 110. I've had no major problems with it at all very handy space wise when to take down the back seat.

Only real thing i hate about them is the spare is under the back of the car:rolleyes:

sounds excellent racso, we all need economy these days(though not 131.9 for diesel ive seen in some rip-off joints) looks like the 98-00 petrols are to be avoided Colm, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My parents had the facelifted model, sturdy car, would compare better than a Focus or such like for the "planted on the road" feeling. Very quiet and refined, electrical faults will be your biggest enemy.

Advertisement