Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbeyleix - how to get passed it without going through it.....

Options
  • 03-05-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

I've noticed 2 country-type lanes just before and after Abbeyleix - do they take you around the town - I have to drive Cork/Dublin twice a week and it's the only time I get stuck in traffic.......
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Coming from Dublin:

About 1 mile north there is a right turn for Shanahoe - there is a lane to turn right in the middle of the road on a bad bend. Turn off there. About half mile there is a Y junction, keep left. You come to the Mountrath road junction, it is a staggered junction, but go left for 5 metres then turn right. Down the hill, watchout for the bad turn. Another Y Junction, keep left.
    At the Rathdowney road turn left. Just before the "WARNING 50KMPH AHEAD" Turn right into a small woodland road. It is just slightly after the estate enterance. This small woodland road will rejoin the N8 south of Abbeyleix.

Coming from Cork. As you are travelling along the N8 towards Abbeyleix, take the next left after Eoin O Sheas display yard of garden furniture etc... It is a small woodland road that will join the Rathdowney road. Take a left there. Take a right where there is a house on a junction. Follow this road keeping right at the next minor junction. Up a big hill to join the Mountrath road. This is a staggered junction, go left for 5 metres then go right and continue to the next minor road junction. Turn right at the Stop sign. Go down the hill to rejoin the Dublin N8.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

fantastic! - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Great directions.....well done Danno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yes they are very well known at this stage but can i make a request. Please don't speed on these roads. My parents live in Tunduff, just off the Portlaoise road along one of these recommended short cuts and its a bloody nightmare trying to get to their house on a Thursday / Friday / Sunday evening. The speed that some cars go along the straight stretch over the old railway bridge is just ridiculous. I've also lost count of the times I've met a 4x4 speeding down the middle of the road past the monument bush. So please just keep an eye out for the locals. Cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as a further extension of the abbeyleix by passing, can i suggest on days when theres realy bad and slow traffic... to by pass abbeyleix completely by taking the motorway-ballyroan-ballinakill-durrow-cork road... or alternatively... motorway-ballyroan-ballinakill-attanagh-kilkennt road, if heading that direction.

obviously reverse to go the other direction...

i often take the ballyroan road home and find it much quicker, especially on friday afternoons...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

cjmcork wrote: »
    I've noticed 2 country-type lanes just before and after Abbeyleix - do they take you around the town - I have to drive Cork/Dublin twice a week and it's the only time I get stuck in traffic.......

oh hell i remember those days of driving to cork from dublin. Abbeyleix badly needs a bypass! those country roads do by pass the town but its about 10min drive out of your way to come back again if you get me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

is it 6 to 1 so - go 10 minutes out of your way / sit in traffic = same amount of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

pretty much yeh! i guess its better to be moving then sitting in the traffic. gives you the sense that you're getting somewhere! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Yes they are very well known at this stage but can i make a request. Please don't speed on these roads. My parents live in Tunduff, just off the Portlaoise road along one of these recommended short cuts and its a bloody nightmare trying to get to their house on a Thursday / Friday / Sunday evening. The speed that some cars go along the straight stretch over the old railway bridge is just ridiculous. I've also lost count of the times I've met a 4x4 speeding down the middle of the road past the monument bush. So please just keep an eye out for the locals. Cheers

Agreed my folks live along the route Friday traffic is a joke.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i travel that road twice a day, 5 days a week, minimum....

Im always flabbergasted about the speed and positioning of some cars coming over that bridge... obviously they dont know the road well....

and without being streotypical... it is mainly SUV drivers that drive in the middle of the road......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i travel that road twice a day, 5 days a week, minimum....

Im always flabbergasted about the speed and positioning of some cars coming over that bridge... obviously they dont know the road well....

and without being streotypical... it is mainly SUV drivers that drive in the middle of the road......

True enough. Oh, have you met the artics on the bridge yet? The ones travelling over 60mph and taking both sides of the ditch at once!:eek: I used to walk and cycle that road from Tunduff cross to the Mountrath road every day. Now I wont travel it in anything with less than 4 wheels especially over the weekend. :mad: Oh and don't get me started on the fly-tippers!

Advertisement