Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai. could you contemplate being one?

• 04-05-2008 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Maybe its the underlying eternal rebel in me or something, but do ya not think it takes a certain mindset to become a gard or a traffic warden? i mean its a job where, lets be honest, nobody truly likes them or trusts them.
    Do you reckon gardai and traffic wardens might have been toilet trained a bit too early? or do you think those are just any other normal occupations?

just curiousity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've a lot of respect for the Gardaí and have considered joining previously. Would be interested in being a detective, patrolling the streets and sorting out drunken teenagers wouldn't really interest me.

I think a lot just treat it as any other job, funnily enough I've smoked weed with off duty guards a few times.

Don't care what they do with their time off as long as their in Garda mode while on duty. Regarding mind set, I'm sure join for the power involved or want to help tackle crime in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hmmmm let's see....chance to abuse some serious power, free chipper, rally around in squad cars, confiscate then keep alcohol, free into Coppers (and pretty much anywhere else for that matter), can kick the b*llox out of the city scum, job for life. Yeah I could live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont see myself being one but i can certainly see the lifestyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I value my faith in humanity to highly to take a job like a guards, but I respect good cops a hell of a lot. Some of them are just bastards though, it's a job that attracts a lot of gob****es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Several members of my family are guards, so I can really see the lifestyle - and its good.

Considered the job previously, sat the exams, got called for interview and it was at the interview where I decided not to follow through with application.

I have the utmost respect for most guards. Some are planks, but what can you do about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes I am currently contemplating being one.

Will probs go for the fire service instead though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I certainly contemplated being one but I dont like public speaking so I would have never been able to speak in court if the need had arised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

no. i'm too intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

In fairness they do have to deal with a lot of drunk scumbags and i had the plessure of meeting a few very nice garda outside Koo last night in Bray ! They were sound !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Traffic warden: nay.

Cop: Yeah, I might go for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

bleg wrote: »
    no. i'm too intelligent.

and you're certainly showing your intelligence here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea, ive alot of respect for the cops too.

They do a tough job, and despite what some ppl think , i dont think they pay is worth the lifestyle.

Id consider being a Garda. if i was allowed to carry a gun,, a big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

no. i'm too intelligent.

Ha ha, nice one:D:D

It annoys me when I hear kids bitching about the gardai.

It's always along the lines of "They keep hassling us for being drunk at 3am and pissing in the street when they should be out arresting drug dealers"

While the gardai do have their bad points, on the whole they are generally a good sound organisation and have escaped the horrendous problems that other countrys have with them (corruption, racism etc)

I've a lotta respect for the cops.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Ha ha, nice one:D:D

?? muppet :rolleyes:

rb_ie wrote: »
    I've a lot of respect for the Gardaí and have considered joining previously. Would be interested in being a detective, patrolling the streets and sorting out drunken teenagers wouldn't really interest me.

I think a lot just treat it as any other job, funnily enough I've smoked weed with off duty guards a few times.

Don't care what they do with their time off as long as their in Garda mode while on duty. Regarding mind set, I'm sure join for the power involved or want to help tackle crime in society.

rB_ie as a cop?

Dear God, the power would corrupt.

Whether or not you are a Garda, thinking about being one, married to one or have a general affection for the force.. im thinking its not a good idea to call a member a muppet on the boards.

Hit the ignore button if you prefer not to see their posts.

Edit: Ive seen you have rather a few posts in the Garda recruitment thread.... hmm, i believe my instinsts were right.
    Can i got to templemore with you? ;)

rB_ie as a cop?

Somone please, for the love of Jebus, fire up photoshop now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

for long I couldn't not really contemplate being, it just wasn't on my radar, i knew nothing about the Gardai and knew none, aftter 5 years in UCd just drifting through my degree and postgrad ,I ended up in the Garda College and that was 11 years ago !!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

and you're certainly showing your intelligence here :rolleyes:

i thought it was quite witty the way i played upon the stereotypical viewpoint that gardai are all thick and just follow orders blindly. like sheep. sheep with power:pac:

• Advertisement

i thought it was quite witty the way i played upon the stereotypical viewpoint that gardai are all thick and just follow orders blindly. like sheep. sheep with power:pac:

Its called a chain of command.

Doing what the man (or woman) with the higher pay grade says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

snyper wrote: »
    chain of command
    Damn fine TNG two parter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Getting up at 10pm and working till 6am dealing with crowds of half civilised drunken rednecks who rolled into town trying to prove they are the hardest in the country, or spending my Saturday afternoon dealing with a domestic disturbance at the local travelling community household, all the while being looked down upon by kiddies still getting an allowance from mammy, no I think not. The compensation is good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The Gardaí are an inefficient bunch. I'd rather become a vigilante crime fighter.

Wait, that's not a bad idea!

The compensation is good though.

What compensation? Starting pay is 25k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wouldn't mind being a traffic corps Garda. The domestics and other stuff doens't really appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Ah its a handy job! A few of my best mates are gards and they have some lifestyle, the pay is good, the benefits are great - even if you dont flash the badge all over the place, like lower car insurance, quicker loans, access to medical care, quicker driving tests, free into coppers! and other smaller things.

They dont get their free lunches and all that ****e, but they cause mania when they go out with their college mates, all of them are absolute pissheads who have no fear of anyone because the have the badge in their pocket. I know that a few of them have been in work drunk, one of them worked in the city centre and he was out on the piss but in work at 6AM so he just went to work and slept in the cells then used an uniform someone left there when they went off duty, then went on duty at 6, and slept on the desk that people go to for stamps until 10. (When he woke up there was a queue of people! everyone was to afraid/embarassed to wake him!)

Its a beneficial job, and if you get the posting you want its an easy job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Private eye detective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've considered it before, but I suspect the regulations would get in the way of making any real difference. It'd probably be best to approach it as a job, rather than with any high ideals about cleaning up the streets.

It'd be so cool to live the Riggs and Murtaugh lifestyle though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Would be interested in being a detective, patrolling the streets and sorting out drunken teenagers wouldn't really interest me.
    They don't do that though.

Gardai 20-25 years ago were scum, well 97% of 'em.
    These days it's prob only 51% of 'em.
    Also if I could start my pre convictions lifestyle again I prob could be a cop, great pay/pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Maybe in the ERU or Traffic Corps.

Buzzing around town in those new BMW's.. sounds fun.

Holsten if your a female and you were on the jack n jill would you be known as a Holsten Pils?

/runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wow, what a cogent retort. No doubt another spud head, culchie garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Wow, what a cogent retort. No doubt another spud head, culchie garda.
    Watch it. Both of you.

These days it's prob only 51% of 'em
    Where did you get those figures from?

The guards... yeah I'm sure most of them are all right. Pity about the Donegal cases though (McBrearty, Shortt). Sure, there's rotten apples in everything but those cases were pretty damn scandalous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I would love to be a country Garda, situated somewhere remote. not having much to deal with.

However i'd really like to party and have fun, so being a Garda is bit of a no no really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

I would love to be a country Garda, situated somewhere remote. not having much to deal with.

However i'd really like to party and have fun, so being a Garda is bit of a no no really.

i dont think that exists anymore, most village/small town garda stations are manned from the next larger town so basically youd only be doing a flying visit through the small isolated places, youd still have to deal with all the other stuff 99% of the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

flanum wrote: »
    i dont think that exists anymore, most village/small town garda stations are manned from the next larger town so basically youd only be doing a flying visit through the small isolated places, youd still have to deal with all the other stuff 99% of the time!

Let me say it as someone from a rural area that has a 'part time' Garda station. i.e. no one in

"Dont i know it"

You've being watching Heartbeat again. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

The guards... yeah I'm sure most of them are all right. Pity about the Donegal cases though (McBrearty, Shortt). Sure, there's rotten apples in everything but those cases were pretty damn scandalous...[/quote]

Worth remembering that it's only public info cause they were caught I'd imagine there's a lot more goes on all over the country we hear nothing about ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lilibet

My daughter is going through the process of joining at the moment and we are doing all in our power to convince her not to join.The Gardai are constantly being undermined by a minority within their own ranks,some politicians,some members of the public,and some journalists within print and broadcast media, who are hell bent on making the job of a Garda the most reviled in the public sector and who only concentrate on all that is wrong in the Force.Our family have seen at first hand the great work they do but unfortunately the good is never considered.
    I couldn't do their job for any money and I hope we can persuade our girl that there are easier and less stressful ways to make a living.We have other family members in financial services and nursing who are earning great salaries with less hassle and no criticism from the public even though they would admit that they deserve severe criticism at times but never get the level the Gardai do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I don't really understand how they distribute the newly trained Garda? For instance if i lived in Dublin, and i wanted to become a Garda, would they send me off to the country? or do i get to stay in Dublin? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Lilibet wrote: »
    My daughter is going through the process of joining at the moment and we are doing all in our power to convince her not to join.The Gardai are constantly being undermined by a minority within their own ranks,some politicians,some members of the public,and some journalists within print and broadcast media, who are hell bent on making the job of a Garda the most reviled in the public sector and who only concentrate on all that is wrong in the Force.Our family have seen at first hand the great work they do but unfortunately the good is never considered.
    I couldn't do their job for any money and I hope we can persuade our girl that there are easier and less stressful ways to make a living.We have other family members in financial services and nursing who are earning great salaries with less hassle and no criticism from the public even though they would admit that they deserve severe criticism at times but never get the level the Gardai do.

Every job has it's drawbacks, and every job is open to flack in the media ( civil servants, hospital staff, etc etc). The job of the media is to sell newspapers and TV programmes, and a bit of hysteria serves that purpose well. The Guards may have a few problems with personnel on occasions, but what large organisation doesn't? Guards are people with all of the people failings. Maybe the measure is if you are in deep trouble in an accident or the victim of a crime, who are you going to look to for help? If someone is about to mug me for my mobile or bomb me because I happen to be in the wrong place I would be happy to see a large Guard coming my way (or even a little female one who knows her business).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Lilibet wrote: »
    So you don't think your daughter should be a cop because of what other people might think? Thats pretty shallow, tbh. If its what she wants to do, the best thing you can do is to make sure she is fully informed about her decision, rather than trying to make the decision for her. I don't think someone who sees their vocation as policing could be convinced to go into the financial services, anyways, no matter what the pay is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

flanum wrote: »
    Maybe its the underlying eternal rebel in me or something, but do ya not think it takes a certain mindset to become a gard or a traffic warden? i mean its a job where, lets be honest, nobody truly likes them or trusts them.
    Do you reckon gardai and traffic wardens might have been toilet trained a bit too early? or do you think those are just any other normal occupations?

just curiousity.

Whats a Gard???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KERPAL wrote: »
    Whats a Gard???
    I'm tempted to go through some of your posts and point out a load of your spelling/grammar mistakes. Anywho please try and contribute something to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lilibet

So you don't think your daughter should be a cop because of what other people might think? Thats pretty shallow, tbh. If its what she wants to do, the best thing you can do is to make sure she is fully informed about her decision, rather than trying to make the decision for her. I don't think someone who sees their vocation as policing could be convinced to go into the financial services, anyways, no matter what the pay is like.

I don't know of any parent who would wish to see their child in a job where, at best she will be treated with disdain by an increasing number of the public encouraged by an often exaggerated and unfair reaction to events by a hostile media and politicians,and at worst lose her life in the service of the self same people who will then be entirely hypocritical in their reaction to it.I'm a cynic when it comes to this.

However,if she decides to follow through with it,we will support her 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm not a big fan of joining the Gardai but i wouldn't mind going into the ERU, that being said if i did join the Gardai it would only be under the condition that i can apply to be a plain clothes detective like in Letal Weapon and get a cool partneter who looks out for you and together we take down the countries biggest mobsters.

Then again it's really just being in for the exciting life, a career criminal would also be an option for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

rB_ie as a cop?

Lol! I'm actually not one to let power go to my head though, in fairness. However, I'd much rather be Minister for Justice than a Garda, and I think I'd go a really good job of it.
    snyper wrote: »
    Somone please, for the love of Jebus, fire up photoshop now!

Noone take this guys advice!
    Private eye detective.

RB PI?

These days it's prob only 51% of 'em.
    Also if I could start my pre convictions lifestyle again I prob could be a cop, great pay/pension.

Well, according to the Garda Ombudsman lately, 1/15 are "corrupt", this ranges from using bad language to well...you name it.

There'll always be bad apples in every walk of life, regardless of the job. The less in the Gardaí the better obviously, but I think overall they're doing a good job as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Like some users have mentioned, while being a top cop, like a detective/investigator, basically something in a high rank where you actually have to use some brain and do real changes is exciting and very interesting, but being a low ranked foot patrol handling local drunks and scumbags isn't very appealing, especially one of them might be infected with some nasty crap and they(local drunks) are violent ones, what if they cut you or scratch you?

On the same note, good to see a good cop for a change...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8021402471797764833&q=cop+ducks&ei=0KIoSImhGYaK2QL2yNjwAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Could Gardai contemplate being what?

Any way. i did try once got called back for interview after apptitude test but i failed irish in the leavin so no could do. Thank God TBH. Although every time i look at some a the wee weedy effers the have now i just think to myself i'd make such a better garda than them. Not just the size thing but how some carry themselves. I once saw a fella walkin down Cruises street in Limerick by himself staring at his shoes as he walked with a sour puss on him like a moody teenager. Authority figure, i think not.

Cartman FTW

• Advertisement
Advertisement