Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking anywhere you want

Options
  • 04-05-2008 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I came across so much ignorance with people parking their cars. Most of it i can tolerate like people parking half way on the road instead of in the parking space beside them on the inside. They leave it half empty and have most of their car on the road forcing people to overtake on a solid white line. I just laugh at their ignorance and hope someone takes their mirror off.
    But a few days ago, i was in a car park finding it quite hard to find a parking space when i see a car parked in the middle of 4 parking spaces. that is just stupid. why do people only think of themselves. if i was a clamper, i would have clamped all four of his wheels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The reason people take more than one space in a car park is because they dont want to get their doors dented. It's a form of prevention really, and the ignorant fookers are the ones who swing open their own car door as wide as possible, without a car in the world whether it hits anything in its path.

Therefore, as long as there's mindless gob****es out there who damage other cars by denting the bodywork, then there will always be people who take more than one space in a car park. The latter group are just taking care of their property.

And as for clamping don't get me started on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Seen a woman in an atoz (or getz) last night taking up 3 spaces - boggles the mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The reason people take more than one space in a car park is because they dont want to get their doors dented.

But an easier solution is just park away from everyone else. Of course this is no gurantee but in my local shopping centre, there is always loads of room in the far corner, even on the busiest Saturday afternoon.

Strangly people still doublepark and block each other in nearer the shopping centre entrance. And circle and circle around trying to get a parking space by the door when there are plently 200 metres away:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

land9 wrote: »
    Seen a woman in an atoz (or getz) last night taking up 3 spaces - boggles the mind!

That takes work! :p

OP; people just don't care about anyone other than #1 anymore. The joys of money coming to the people of Ireland; where people suddenly have loads of money, ignorance becomes rife as everyone now believes that they're now so much better than the next person.

For those who feel that the above is BS, try working in a shop/pub/anywhere dealing with the general public for a couple of weeks.

Fey! wrote: »

For those who feel that the above is BS, try working in a shop/pub/anywhere dealing with the general public for a couple of weeks.

QFT!

"I know my rights! Did you need a college degree to get your lowly job?" said the housewife to the college student working part-time in a shop ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No matter where you park even if its the furthest away, there's always some muppet who will park beside you even in an empty car park. First weekend I had my car (which even though a few years old had perfect panels) I parked about 400m away from everyone else. Only to come back and find a jeep parked beside mine, and yes he'd put a tiny dent in mine with his door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry for the OT, but
    micmclo wrote: »
    QFT!

"I know my rights! Did you need a college degree to get your lowly job?" said the housewife to the college student working part-time in a shop ;)

I was working on a door one night, and offered a guy in his early twenties a light for his cigarette. Instead of thanks, I got "ah, a doorman with ambition". The guy working with me just started laughing because he knew what I did in the daytime.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the kid was one of the biggest rednecks I had encountered in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I wish I'd parked in my usual spot (miles from the entrance) in Tesco this morning. Came out of the shop at 07:40 to find a lady with her jeep parked about 6 inches from my car. Then I watched her open her passenger door into my car. With me standing there! Lovely scratch in the door of my car now.

deRanged wrote: »
    I wish I'd parked in my usual spot (miles from the entrance) in Tesco this morning. Came out of the shop at 07:40 to find a lady with her jeep parked about 6 inches from my car. Then I watched her open her passenger door into my car. With me standing there! Lovely scratch in the door of my car now.

I love that, then they act like nothing happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If I was driving an aston martin, or some sort of ferrari I would take up at least two parking spaces in a ar park by parking diagonally in it

If your car is worth 15-20 times more than a standard runabout (~200 vs. ~10k) I think you have that right

• Advertisement

Come on deRanged, what did you do next?
    Get insurance details or demand payment?
    Tails142 wrote: »
    If I was driving an aston martin, or some sort of ferrari I would take up at least two parking spaces in a ar park by parking diagonally in it

If your car is worth 15-20 times more than a standard runabout (~200 vs. ~10k) I think you have that right

True, but a runabout worth a few hundred might be the most prized possesion of some poor student or someone.
    What I'm trying to say is a banger may mean the same if not more to a pauper then a Ferrari to a millionaire.

I've explained that badly but you get the gist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

micmclo wrote: »
    Come on deRanged, what did you do next?

I was actually speechless. She saw my face and legged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tails142 wrote: »

You do not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

You may not have a right, but you would be inclined to minimise the chances of a ding on your door from some dozy inconsiderate driver, who, just because he /she doesn't give a ****e about their own car slams into other cars unaware of the frustration they are causing.

It's a right - No, the sensible thing to do - Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't agree with taking up two spaces. It messes up the "order" of parking, it is inconsiderate, it draws attention to your car and makes it more likely to be keyed etc. If your car is so precious that you want to put up an exclusion zone around it then leave it at home and get a beater for everyday use.

Now one thing that drives me mad is when cars are parked on bends, crests etc. and you have to take a risk to overtake them. If you collide with an oncoming car because you're overtaking a parked car on a blind bend, then it's you who will get all or most of the blame. An example of this is in Edgeworthstown Co. Longford , some stupid bitch in a yellow Yaris regularly parks her car on a sharp bend and forces cars onto the wrong side of the road, I have seen a few near misses because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

biko wrote: »
    You do not

I would seriously doubt there is a law! I know which I would do... and you too(despite what you might try and say)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

deRanged wrote: »

If I was you, and I had her reg, I'd pursue her for criminal damage.

Also, I should have mentioned in my previous post that people who wish to take care of their car, generally, park as far away from everyone else as possible and probably take two spaces. On the other hand, the people who park arseways right outside the front door (yes it does happen), are generally just lazy/ignorant. I should have made this distinction earlier, as I don't condone laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

BostonB wrote: »
    No matter where you park even if its the furthest away, there's always some muppet who will park beside you even in an empty car park. First weekend I had my car (which even though a few years old had perfect panels) I parked about 400m away from everyone else. Only to come back and find a jeep parked beside mine, and yes he'd put a tiny dent in mine with his door.

Happens to me all the time. I am convinced that if i parked in the middle of the Sahara desert I'd come back to find two cars parked close on each side of mine. I think my car is strongly magnetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

lately saw two old bags getting out of a car by basicially rubbing their doors of the left and right parked cars. what the hell, no respect for another persons property.

also a while back, i had a wife bang into my door without care with me still sitting in my car! i gave her a double taste of her own Medicine later on as well as a piece of my mind at the time.

as for bad parking, i leave notes on the windscreen of the offender. best note i left so far was to a woman who seemingly intentingly bumped into my car while parking her car(i was across the street gob-smacked) "you badly need driving lessons before you seriously hurt someone") i wasnt in the mood for getting vocal and confrontational that time and no damage done but hopefully the note makes more of an impact.

a right bad habit i see a lot lately is people just swinging into their space and not straightening it up. things can get tight for the other person reversing out of their space.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

land9 wrote: »

How could an Atoz possibly take up 3 spaces?

• Advertisement

Car in middle spot, front and back bumper hanging over into other 2 spots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

It drives me up the f*ckin wall when people park too close to the side where little one is......and i cant lift her into the car seat. I then have to pop her in the car the other side, with her thinking shes sitting in a big seat, to reverse the car and double park while i trying to strap a now screaming little person :mad:into her car seat. ANd dont get me started on trying to sometimes get into spots where people have parked too close while heavily pregnant, breathing in just doesnt work:eek:

What bout people's views on parkiing in parent/baby and disabled spots or is that a discussion for a different thread? The baby spots are there for people putting a wee baby together with the car seat into the car and they need a fair bit of room to do this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Redpunto wrote: »
    It drives me up the f*ckin wall when people park too close to the side where little one is......and i cant lift her into the car seat. I then have to pop her in the car the other side, with her thinking shes sitting in a big seat, to reverse the car and double park while i trying to strap a now screaming little person :mad:into her car seat. ANd dont get me started on trying to sometimes get into spots where people have parked too close while heavily pregnant, breathing in just doesnt work:eek:

What bout people's views on parkiing in parent/baby and disabled spots are is that a discussion for a different thread? The baby spots are there for people putting a wee baby together with the car seat into the car and they need a fair bit of room to do this....

On a slightly different note. Parent/child spots, what age do you think the baby/child should be before you stop using the parent/child spots? I have a 3 year old, he's still in a baby seat but I haven't used the parent child parking in ages as I feel a bit guilty.

Victor_M wrote: »
    On a slightly different note. Parent/child spots, what age do you think the baby/child should be before you stop using the parent/child spots? I have a 3 year old, he's still in a baby seat but I haven't used the parent child parking in ages as I feel a bit guilty.

I'm 27, if my mum is in the car with me, I'll pull into one - there's no age restriction! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

I always look for an end space, or a space next to a yellow box or something and I park with my wheel just over the line on that side, just so as to give whoever parks next to me no exuse and so I can open my door out wide to get in and out with ease :)

However, has anyone noticed how small our parking spaces are here compared to other countries, especially in multistories even if properly parked there is hardly enough room for an averaged car to comfortably open their door enough to get out easily.

I get so :mad: when people don't show respect for other people and their possesions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I always park the wifes banger (its so wrecked already, wouldnt do it with mine) right up beside the drivers door of people who take up 2 spaces. I purposly look for these gob****es so i can do this. When im coming back i sometimes see them gettin in and I get so much fun out of watching them get in the passenger side an shift over to the drivers side.

Am i being bold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I always park the wifes banger (its so wrecked already, wouldnt do it with mine) right up beside the drivers door of people who take up 2 spaces. I purposly look for these gob****es so i can do this. When im coming back i sometimes see them gettin in and I get so much fun out of watching them get in the passenger side an shift over to the drivers side.

Am i being bold :D

Yeah. Tempting, ain't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

NiSmO wrote: »
    I always park the wifes banger (its so wrecked already, wouldnt do it with mine) right up beside the drivers door of people who take up 2 spaces. I purposly look for these gob****es
    :eek:
    BrianD3 wrote:
    I don't agree with taking up two spaces. It messes up the "order" of parking,
    :confused:

Advertisement