Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking anywhere you want

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I always park the wifes banger (its so wrecked already, wouldnt do it with mine) right up beside the drivers door of people who take up 2 spaces. I purposly look for these gob****es so i can do this. When im coming back i sometimes see them gettin in and I get so much fun out of watching them get in the passenger side an shift over to the drivers side.

Am i being bold :D

After doin some shopping while 8 months pregnant came back to car to find I couldnt get in drivers side,,had to get in passenger side and attempt to shift meself over the the drivers side,,i nearly burst meself...i looked like a beached whale tryin to get back into the water:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Ah parking. Always seem to have idiots in college park in 2 spots just barely so that you then have to nudge your car in between another 2 spots. Instead I do as someone else has said and drive right up beside the drivers door. I had someone go mad at me for it, a girl giving it "but it's a new cor!" Told her to go f off and learn how to park. Why should I park in such a way that makes it much more difficult for me to get out of the car.

On another note, I was parking my car in a shopping centre during winter, it was pretty windy and the door got caught by the wind and hit another car. Straight away It was dark and raining so difficult to tell if anything wrong so I gave the bloke my number and other contact details and told him to get on to me if any repairs were needed. Fortunately he didn't call.

People with kids should just park further away from the main doors, they have prams for the children, it's not as if the kids have to walk. Actually here's an idea they should designate SUV zones as far away as possible, if you park anywhere else you should get fined €50/€60. Harsh yes, but the space they take up warrants this.

Edit: For pregnant women closer parking is ok in theory but you just end up having people taking advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Leon11 wrote: »
    People with kids should just park further away from the main doors, they have prams for the children, it's not as if the kids have to walk.
    That's an idiotic statement. How many people can push a buggy and a trolley at the same time? The supermarkets thought of such a problem and put kid seats in the trolleys. The kids walk to the door if they're able or are carried if they're too young.

How is that an idiotic statement? The amount of times I've seen women, actually parents hit their doors off other peoples cars is ridiculous. Their excuse is always the same, tight squeeze. If they can make it to spaces near the top why can't they make it 200 yards down the aisle. Pure laziness, just like people who circle the main entrance while 20 secs down the aisle there's plenty of spaces.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have a little girl and sometimes I cant get into the car. Ill try and get her in the other side, but sometimes I cant. If this is the case, I open my door and gently place it against the other car. No damage is done and its literllay placed against it. Im very aware of other people smacking other cars, as I have 6 large dents on my passenger side. Looked at my car today and noticed a nice big dent/scratch on the drivers door :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

How is that an idiotic statement?
    Your whole paragraph about parents (aka "people with kids") is idiotic and indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

they have prams for the children,
    how many times have you seen someone pushing a pram and a trolley at the same time?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

....People with kids should just park further away from the main doors, they have prams for the children, it's not as if the kids have to walk. .....

The problem with kids is that you need to open the door quite wide to get in with a baby seat, or to reach in and do the belts up. Its usual for someone with one kids to have more than one. So its safer not to have to cross a car park with a couple of kids in tow, and obviously loading and unloading is safer. In theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Buy a motorbike or scooter.
    You can park beside the bicycle rack, usually right by the front door of shopping centres.

Avoids all these problems...........except getting bags of shopping home! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

deRanged wrote: »
    I was actually speechless. She saw my face and legged it.

so you let someone who scratched your car - drive off without taking her details or demanding that she pays for repairs. Your story is full of sh---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

here's an idea they should designate SUV zones as far away as possible, if you park anywhere else you should get fined €50/€60. Harsh yes, but the space they take up warrants this.

Bollix. All but the largest SUV's can fit in one regular parking space if the driver knows what they are doing. Its an SUV not a tank.

I agree with most of the rest of what you siad. I normally park as far away from the shop as possible with no cars parked around me, I don't want some dozy bint hopping her door off my alfa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Redpunto wrote: »
    After doin some shopping while 8 months pregnant came back to car to find I couldnt get in drivers side,,had to get in passenger side and attempt to shift meself over the the drivers side,,i nearly burst meself...i looked like a beached whale tryin to get back into the water:D

If you werent parked in 2 spaces with noone on the other side of you, it wasnt me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

As I said I would park in two spots ..but to clarify this thats IF the carpark was relatively empty. Its like sitting on the bus and taking up two seats. Why the f**k not as long as the bus is not full? Obviously in paid carparks I would only take up one spot or where parking was scarce. I think taking up two spots in situations like this is taking the piss though although it really is justified with the carelessness of people these days and their attitudes. Also to those who park up against a car taking up two spaces... why??(unless its the only space around). Seems like you're just trying to cause trouble. I'll say it again.. if any of you drove a porsche or ferrari or the likes you wouldn't hesitate doing it because you would know how much the damage would cost to fix and how likely it would be.

It amazes me that so many people on here have experienced people smacking their car and having the person not care at all about it, deny it or get aggressive?

astraboy wrote: »
    Bollix. All but the largest SUV's can fit in one regular parking space if the driver knows what they are doing. Its an SUV not a tank.

I know that and you know that as well as most people that if they're parked properly they're fine. No problems with that, it's a pain in the arse though when someone parking them is inconsiderate to others.

Boston B, fair point about having children cross car parks. Look at the end of the day all carpark layouts should be designed with parking zones with extra spaces for people with prams and small children, as it is most of them have a token gesture of 20-30 spaces which is obviously not enough. If they're put at the top fine, if at the back have a designated walkway like some carparks in the states have.

To whoever said I was jealous of people with new cars, get over yourself. There's a lot of inconsiderate people that drive new and second hand cars. It just really pisses me off to see others not care about others property. I had a new car all of 2 days last year when someone decided to leave a dent in it. On a side note the best carpark in my opinion is actually the Square in Tallaght. Instead of white lines they have a 1ft buffer zone in between spaces. Works quite well.

su_dios wrote: »
    As I said I would park in two spots ..but to clarify this thats IF the carpark was relatively empty.

I've no prob with that to be honest, as you've said it's a different story if the carpark was pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

micmclo wrote: »
    Buy a motorbike or scooter.
    You can park beside the bicycle rack, usually right by the front door of shopping centres.

Avoids all these problems...........except getting bags of shopping home! :pac:

Is it legal to put the kids into the carrier?:D

Redpunto wrote: »
    Is it legal to put the kids into the carrier?:D

One per basket:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

has anyone ever tried to protect the doors from ignorant careless morons using the door dent protectors?

I thought about it and googled it on the web - it's not a new problem and wise people have found a solution already, have a look at these links ->

http://www.doordefender.com/door_protector_faq.html

here's the gallery of these things mounted on real cars, including the fancy ones
    http://www.doordefender.com/car_and_truck_door_protectors.html

they look a bit weird (one could say it "fancies" the car) but they do the trick, you keep them in the car and take them out only when parking in a dangerous spot, there's a protection wire you leave in the car preventing people from robbing them

Here's another company that do more flat ones in a car's color, held with a magnet as well - you put them on only when you parked and take them back before you drive away

http://dentprotector.com/

they last for $30 which is 20 yoyos what is nothing comparing to the damage irrsponsible fecker can do to your door in one minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

astraboy wrote: »

Parking it and still being able to open the door sufficiently to get in or out are two different things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

We have two cars. I don't give a scutter about either of them basically because... because neither of them are worth giving a scutter about.

When I go to a shopping centre I will normally park a good bit away from the door. Just for the sake of Stress free parking and ease of getting the kids out of the back. (Although it drives my wife nuts. I get comments like...."What time is the bus coming to take us to the shop" etc.)

That's all fine and well...

However if I come back and find that some....sod.... has parked right up beside me (i.e. way off centre in his parking space) making it nearly freakin impossible to load the kids, I always make sure to intentionally hit his car a few good welts with my door while loading them.

I would never do it in someplace where parking is just crappy (like the Cresent in Limerick) and spaces are just tight. I would always be careful and keep my hand on the edge of the door to make sure it is not banging the car next to it.

But if there is no excuse and it is just inconsiderate parking, I always leave them a few welts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

park where you like once its legal...

but most guys i know who do crap like this are rich idiots.... too much money...

but dont complain... if it dont effect you, don't complain. Let people learn there lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Same thing happens where i work and the most annoying thing is people parking outside the door waited for their partners/friends to to shopping making the 2 lanes into one messy lane. or even using the disabled spot but im happy we have a sneaky euro cars guy that gives fines for the laugh! I start at 8 so me and many workmates just park at the very back where know one else does and know our cars wont be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

For all you amatuer traffic wardens: youparklikeanasshole.com

Click on infractions to bring up a pdf. so you can ticket all those cars that bug you instead of kicking or banging your doors back at theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

BnA wrote: »
    But if there is no excuse and it is just inconsiderate parking, I always leave them a few welts.

nice :rolleyes:
    Any chance of giving us the make/reg of your bucket so we don't park next to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

People who can't park correctly are thick as far as I'm concerned. Just thick. Nothing else. Thick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brundlefly

try living beside a church with no car park..whatever about people not being able to park properly when doing the shopping...when you have a god on your side you can block peoples driveways ,park on footpaths,double park and to avoid parking on a double yellow they park on a beautiful green tearing up the grass so that the kids can play in the mud ...all this in plain view of a garda barrcks ...who i have yet to see issue tickets..inconsiderate and ignorant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Yup, they're the worst; on the Dublin road coming into Drogheda(just before the bridge of peace) of a Sunday morning, the feckers going to church block up one whole lane of the dual carriageway by parking in it :eek::eek:, with no prior warning, so just after the lights everyone has to merge into one lane; it's always a giant mess. And all this across the Boyne from the police station...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

brundlefly wrote: »
    ...all this in plain view of a garda barrcks ...who i have yet to see issue tickets..inconsiderate and ignorant!!!

they post them out now like speeding tickets :( after i found out when they changed a sign near me to a longer clear way... saying that 2 weeks later cars were clamped there so 30 euro was better than 80 euro... looks like they gave the locals time to find out than rather than just clamp them

Advertisement