Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as a mini DSLAM, or is it eircom FUD

Options
  • 04-05-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Rural area, not badly off as have both Voda and O2 3G coverage.

Local wireless provider also coming into the valley, on foot of requests from those in mobile blind spot, and being neighbourly, we've signed up to that service to give them the minimum numbers ...

Current s/n on my copper is 135db, so nothing ever going to happen on that - except:

Eircom have called to at least one neighbour to tell them that they're going to put in a 'something' - neighbour not technical - about midway between us and the nearest town to give us DSL.

Has anybody ever heard of this happening before?

There are at most 200 households that this might serve, realistically, but only half-a-dozen in the valley that we're working with.

Seems to me that eircom are watching for point-to-point link licence applications and sending out reps to slow things down. Am I being paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

zenith wrote: »
    Eircom have called to at least one neighbour to tell them that they're going to put in a 'something' - neighbour not technical - about midway between us and the nearest town to give us DSL. ?

ISTR something like this being done abroad, not in Ireland, but maybe Eircom
    have figured out this is something to try. Don't think you get full speed, could be wrong though.
    I wish they were that proactive where I live.
    Seems to me that eircom are watching for point-to-point link licence applications and sending out reps to slow things down. Am I being paranoid?

No, I've seen this happen before, they try to stall & hold on to customers.
    It's reasonable behaviour if they really are planning something to bring DSL, it's reprehensibe if they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe they are going to start using those small extenders :

" Only the size of a small shoe-box, and being fully submersible to a depth of 5m (16 feet), the R8as can be deployed in more locations than any other DSLAM. It can be installed on a pole, or in a pit or manhole susceptible to flooding, as well as other locations such as un-powered cross-connect cabinets. Its small size and light weight also allows it to be suspended from overhead cable. "

They'd be ideal in many locations here for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

There are loads of companies that make mini DSLAMs - extenders - emulators etc etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Well like any company they have to keep on top of what the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I went for a stroll and discovered that there's an Alcatel 1000 E10 in place between us and the exchange.

"The Alcatel-Lucent 1000 MM E10 CSN extends the reach of a switch to rural through to high-density networks : each multi-access controller can be either co-located with the core switch or installed close to remote groups. It features high capacity and density with its 19-inch rack packaging, which allows to host up to 2,044 subscribers in one rack in remote configuration - up to 5,120 with extensions and one additional rack. The Alcatel-Lucent 1000 MM E10 CNE further extends the reach to small remote groups, e.g. 64, 125, up to 511."

This sure does seem capable of doing what they have indicated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hi,
    Local wireless provider also coming into the valley, on foot of requests from those in mobile blind spot, and being neighbourly, we've signed up to that service to give them the minimum numbers ...

Indeed, as they do.
    Eircom have called to at least one neighbour to tell them that they're going to put in a 'something' - neighbour not technical - about midway between us and the nearest town to give us DSL.

Has anybody ever heard of this happening before?

Yes. But there were 400 households. Firstly you will see eircom digging fibre out from the nearest town and the yoke will be on the roadside.

You are not being paranoid, however they are more likely to put a Remote Subscriber Unit or RSU ( as they call it) out near you with NO DSL GEAR in it which is what they normally do . Its a mini exchange .

They are doing 3 or 4 in Galway this year and usually do 2 or 3 to deal with copper shortages in growth areas.

As copper becomes more expensive the copper shortages become more expensive to deal with and an RSU is a good way to free up copper especially BETWEEN the RSU and the existing exchange .

Whats your dial up speed now ??

Advertisement