Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bicycle - recommendation

Options
  • 04-05-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

:)Hi all,

just wondering what type of bike would u recommend for cycling into city??

Are the Hybrid bikes any good? what diff to normal mountin bikes are they?

my budget is arounf 500 but im pretty flexible.

Also where would u recommend buying the bike??

Cheers all!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Peachy123

Defo recommend Cycleways on Parnell st. I wouldn't buy a bike anywhere else again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

:)Hi all,

just wondering what type of bike would u recommend for cycling into city??

Are the Hybrid bikes any good? what diff to normal mountin bikes are they?

my budget is arounf 500 but im pretty flexible.

Also where would u recommend buying the bike??

Cheers all!!

id reccomend that you try lots of different bikes and choose the best style and geomtry for yourself.
    i ride a XC mtb with slicks on it, its as light as a entry level racer and is easy to manouver.
    some on these boards prefer fixies, others prefer hybrids.

i think demand for hybrids peaked last summer, ive not had nearly as many enquiries and there are fewer threads here about it.:)

basically i class a hybrid as a MTB frame and groupset with wide 700c tyres(racer).

id reccomend buying the bike in the shop that gives the best deal.

the bike rack seems to be getting good feedback here at the moment, there is a good one on camden street too(pennyfarthing i think??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd personally recommend a hybrid, but that's without experience of current mtbs/racing bikes. I got mine (Specialized Sirrus from Cycleways) about 2 years ago having been plodding along on an old Claud Butler mountain bike prior to that. The things that I noticed immediately were the expected much higher speeds (due to the obvious gearing differences), but also a very noticable extra amount of stiffness in the frame. It felt like my power transfer was much more economical with less wastage.

I think it's important for you to talk to several shops - explain what you want the bike for (commuting, racing, offroad,) , how much you want to spend etc. and they'll be able to give you good advice.

Also, bear in mind any equipment that you'll have to buy with your budget - lights, clothes, backpack, helmet, pump, spare tube, etc... A lot of people appear to forego the helmet, but I'd strongly recommend it. I came off last year coming round the bend from Baggott St. to Pembroke St. (hangover and slippy road were the main factors!). The back wheel just slipped out but I ended up on my side in the middle of the road. One of the things that I do remember about it is the feeling of the helmet hitting the ground with a reasonable bit of force. It didn't save my life, but it certainly saved a headache and perhaps a cut head.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Im a Hybrid man myself as well, use a Kona Dr Dew. I've always prefered the sitting position on a hybrid as opposed to a racer.
    Im sure the road guys on here would tell you that if your going long distance that a racing style bike would be best.

Cycleways do good entry level Specailized Hybrids, or you could always try Evanscycles or Chainrecactios on line.
    But like the guys are saying try a few diffrent styles if you can before putting your money on the counter.!

As Kona was saying Penny Farthing on Camden street do some good deals they tend to promote Claud Butler a lot though and I don't really like those bikes so much, I bought a bike of them years ago and got a good price, they aren't to enthusastic with follow up though if you have a problem.

I'd personally recommend a hybrid, but that's without experience of current mtbs/racing bikes. I got mine (Specialized Sirrus from Cycleways) about 2 years ago having been plodding along on an old Claud Butler mountain bike prior to that. The things that I noticed immediately were the expected much higher speeds (due to the obvious gearing differences), but also a very noticable extra amount of stiffness in the frame. It felt like my power transfer was much more economical with less wastage.

those factors have nothing to do with the fact the bike is a hybrid therefore better, its to do with the fact you bought a decent bike:) a hybrid has the same gear ratios as a mtb, it just has bigger wheels so, it will move quicker(once you get going), but not much more that a mtb with slicks, and probably slower than a XC mtb with a 48 toooth chainwheel up front.
    also a mtb will be more nimble and easier to control.
    also a hybrids geometry tends to make you sit up, where as a mtb you lean further forward.

the stiffness is in the materials and the design of the frame, the triple triangle that GT use is a good example of reduced flex, as is steel a good material to reduce flex, aluminium is probably the worst.

also id be willing to bet the hybrid you have is light years ahead of the old claud butler as regards to gears, bottom bracket and hubs.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kona wrote: »
    those factors have nothing to do with the fact the bike is a hybrid therefore better, its to do with the fact you bought a decent bike:) a hybrid has the same gear ratios as a mtb, it just has bigger wheels so, it will move quicker(once you get going)
    It depends, there are hybrids like the Specialized Sirrus that are closer in many ways to road bikes (road bike components and gearing; I have one with Shimano 105 and a 52-11 top gear.) But certainly your point is valid that if you go from a cheap MTB to an expensive hybrid it is pointless to compare.

I would still say a hybrid unless you want to go off road. You can get a nice fast XC mountain bike and stick slicks on it but not for €500 and what is the point anyway unless you wanted it for off-road. You'll get something more suited for commuting if you go for the hybrid. You'll economise also by not paying for stuff you don't need like suspension which will be shít on a MTB at that price point.

blorg wrote: »
    It depends, there are hybrids like the Specialized Sirrus that are closer in many ways to road bikes (road bike components and gearing; I have one with Shimano 105 and a 52-11 top gear.) .

good point, but i tend to class them as tourers??? maybe im wrong:D:D

when does it stop being a hybrid and turn into a racer/tourer?

as you said no point in spending money on **** you wont use, and which will really be a pain in the ass to log around( cheap front sus)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm in the same boat- like the Specialized Sirrus but a voice in my head says I should get a road bike (espically if doing more long/charity cycles).

Basically goto a shop and try out a few different bikes and see which you prefer. A racer takes a while to get used to (the different position) but most people swear by them once they switch over.

the Sirrus is light, vaguely close to a road bike...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm in the same boat at the OP, and was looking to get either of these...both around the €500 mark. What do you guys think? I'm going to go into a shop and try a few bikes, but i will probably order online, as its generally cheaper.
    http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=381 or http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=730

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

For anyone who is contemplating the sirrus I'd throw the Lapierre RCR range in to the mix too as they are similar. Cyclesuperstore stock the Lapierres and are very helpful.

They are more like road bikes with flat bars
    Cyclesuperstore call these bikes Road Cruisers rather than hybrids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

There's some great sales here http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comm...f%5FCardinal=1
    They post to Ireland for cheap I think.
    Giant CRS 3.0 2007 model for €252, whereas the same (but 08 model) in Cyclesuperstore is €455!

Advertisement