Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adjectives/past tense?

• 04-05-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me how to put na adjectives into the past tense, both positive and negative?
    massugu for example?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

mac123 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how to put na adjectives into the past tense, both positive and negative?
    massugu for example?
    thanks.

if you're using massugu as an adjective (more commonly used as an adverb i think),
    you can say,

massugu datta - (was straigth/honest)
    massugu ja nakatta - (wasnt straight/honest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

thanks for the reply!
    so you just add datta or ja nakatta?
    shinsetsu datta = was kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

As you know, there are two types of adjectives in Japanese - i and na.
    Shinsetsu is one of the "na" ones, so the past is shinsetsu datta - just use the past tense copula.
    If it was a "i" one, such as oishii, it'd be oishikatta da - the final i changes to katta and the present tense copula is used.

Although I almost only ever use polite Japanese, so I'd say しんせつでした and おいしかったです!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

It helps if you think of -na adjectives as nouns pretending to be adjectives. (noun adjectives)
    So your conjugations work the same as if it were a noun you were using - だ or です in whatever form you want it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If it was a "i" one, such as oishii, it'd be oishikatta da - the final i changes to katta and the present tense copula is used.

You'd commonly leave out the copula in natural speech (e.g. 'kinou no asagohan wa oishikatta')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Yeah, you're totally right. As I said, I usually use desu anyway, so that's why I thought oishikatta da sounded odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

oishikatta da is incorrect, as far as I know. The 'da' is completely redundant, as 'oishikatta' functions as both the verb and adjective.

'Oishikatta desu' is correct, but the only function of desu is indicating politeness - the tense etc. is indicated by the conjugation of the adjective.

Advertisement