Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new gas boiler advice...

Options
  • 04-05-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 11 yr old Baxi Solo 40 gas boiler (running 6 rads and immersion) has packed up. Looks like the fan has given up the ghost. I replaced the heat exchanger in it a couple of years ago so I reckon its near the end of its days and I'm thinking of getting a new one instead of repairing.

I have a couple of questions. First, the price of installed systems seems excessive. For example this site

http://www.boilercare.ie/html/boilprice.htm

is listing boilers at around €2500 installed. But if I go to B&Q I see condensing A rated boilers for around €800. Is the install really costing nearly €2000? Any advice on better value installed systems? Or any plumbers out there want to PM me for an install job?

Second question is a technical one - the Solo 40 is rated at 12kw but the B&Q one is rated 24 - anyone know if there is an issue with replacing a 12kw boiler with a bigger one?

In general any advice on replacing a gas boiler would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You need to install a High effeciency boiler from now on.

Any reliable manufacturers demand that the original heating system is cleaned properly, before you install the new boiler. Otherwise your guarantee is void.

I haven't looked at the boiler on B&Q's website ,but I guarantee you that a HE boiler is far more expensive than 800 euro.

Your not just paying an installer for a boiler ,your paying for a guarantee ,fittings and service.
    That website pricelist is more expensive than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

The B&Q one says High Efficiency Condensing Boiler on the box and shows a SEDBUK A rating and mentions 98% efficient. It is €745 without a flue kit in B&Q in Swords.

How long do these take to install? Anyone know a registered installer who's done a B&Q boiler? I know I may not be comparing apples and oranges but it seems excessive to go from 745 to over 2 grand installed for a simple boiler replacement...

C

Phibsboro wrote: »
    The B&Q one says High Efficiency Condensing Boiler on the box and shows a SEDBUK A rating and mentions 98% efficient. It is €745 without a flue kit in B&Q in Swords.

How long do these take to install? Anyone know a registered installer who's done a B&Q boiler? I know I may not be comparing apples and oranges but it seems excessive to go from 745 to over 2 grand installed for a simple boiler replacement...

C

Being honest ,I wouldn't touch anything that B&Q sells in the Gas appliance department.
    Not only would I be worried about how reliable it was ,but because it's from B&Q the chance of getting replacment parts are slim.

Don't forget ,when you buy a boiler that's not on the "Irish" market ,you run the risk of no one wanting to repair your boiler. Because it's takes so long to order parts etc.

And at the price you've listed ,which is hundreds below what I get boilers for at trade price. You can be assured the boiler will give trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Just to add a handy web site for parts is
    www.keeptheheaton.com

They supplied me a pcb last year and delivery was very quick.

Also the price for a fan I priced lately was about half the quoted Irish price.

A neighbour of mine also changed his boiler and the price was approx 2200. It seems to be about half for the boiler and half for installation.

beldin wrote: »
    Just to add a handy web site for parts is
    www.keeptheheaton.com

They supplied me a pcb last year and delivery was very quick.

Also the price for a fan I priced lately was about half the quoted Irish price.

A neighbour of mine also changed his boiler and the price was approx 2200. It seems to be about half for the boiler and half for installation.

If your going to use a website like that ,you still have to have a gas installer replace the part. There are seals on parts that need to be checked properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I understand I definitely need a registered gas installer to fit the yoke - no way I'd be trying something like that myself :)

And I take your point re parts for the B&Q one (though they are just rebadged HeatLine boilers apparently). But even going for a known brand, I can't see how we end up in the mid €2000's. For example what appears to be the High Efficiency version of my current boiler, the Baxi Solo HE 12, is available here for £590, say €760.

http://www.cheapboilers.com/gas/conventional/baxi/solo-12-he.htm

If thats retail, how much is a trade installer paying for that here in Ireland?

C

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I understand I definitely need a registered gas installer to fit the yoke - no way I'd be trying something like that myself :)

And I take your point re parts for the B&Q one (though they are just rebadged HeatLine boilers apparently). But even going for a known brand, I can't see how we end up in the mid €2000's. For example what appears to be the High Efficiency version of my current boiler, the Baxi Solo HE 12, is available here for £590, say €760.

http://www.cheapboilers.com/gas/conventional/baxi/solo-12-he.htm

If thats retail, how much is a trade installer paying for that here in Ireland?

C

I'll just run through a few things with you ,I'll be honest aswell.
    That price for the Solo HE is lower than we pay trade here . I really don't know how that boiler is so cheap to the public.
    EDIT : That solo HE is very small by the way ,it's only a 12kw which is 40K Btu's . Very small boiler and I never seen one on sale here.

I've personally installed hundreds of baxi solo's (standard) ,but in the HE range of boilers worcester bosch is a favourite ,but it is also a good few hundred euro more expensive.

When I go to look at a job ,I check out the heating system and see what chemicals are needed to clean the heating system out.
    Then a few days before your job is to be done ,introduce cleanser into the heating system.
    Day of job ,drain down and install boiler and alter the heating system if needed. You then have a guarantee with us for 12 months ,where we cover any rads not heating and system not working. If any warranty work is needed on the boiler ,we arrange that ourselves with the manufacturer.

There is a bit more to changing a boiler than joe plumber with his level and bucket. As far back as I remember ,it's a life long need and we've always helped people out when they were stuck.

So basically ,when you pay a decent gas installer to do a job ,you can at least expect the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

You make some good points Phibsboro. Like most things we buy in Eire, we pay much more than our friends in England. They don't call it rip-off republic for nothing y'know.

I've dealt with many plumbers/installers over the years and the sun has been shining for them and they have been making lots of golden hay.:D Many of them are Millionaires but they keep a clapped out van for effect.

bmm wrote: »
    You make some good points Phibsboro. Like most things we buy in Eire, we pay much more than our friends in England. They don't call it rip-off republic for nothing y'know.

I've dealt with many plumbers/installers over the years and the sun has been shining for them and they have been making lots of golden hay.:D Many of them are Millionaires but they keep a clapped out van for effect.

You should have been one yourself and become a millionaire aswell.:)

Advertisement