Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shut down errors

• 04-05-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    When I go to shutdown my laptop, I get a dwwin.exe error, if I press ok, it pops up another dw20.exe error and then if I press ok another few times I get a drwtsn32.exe error. Haven't got a clue what it's about, has anyone had the same issue?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    When I go to shutdown my laptop, I get a dwwin.exe error, if I press ok, it pops up another dw20.exe error and then if I press ok another few times I get a drwtsn32.exe error. Haven't got a clue what it's about, has anyone had the same issue?

id use autoruns (set to hide m$) or msconfig to stop dwwin.exe and dw20.exe running on startup, and reboot to see if the pc works without them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Copied from another forum:

dwwin.exe is the "Microsoft Application Error Reporting" tool.

This means that there is a program you are running that is crashing during
    system shutdown. When the crash occurs the OS launches dwwin.exe to report
    the error, however the window station is shutting down and so the
    application can't launch.

Your problem isn't with dwwin.exe, you need to figure out what application
    is actually crashing at shutdown.

To do so:

To view the event log: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or
    Start/Run/eventvwr.

To review Shutdown Event Tracker data, Open Event Viewer. Click System Log,
    scroll to the Event column, and find entries with the number 1075.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    I only got around to checking this now :o

Had a look in the system log and there are no 1075 events:confused: just 1073's?... any ideas? :)

Still got this problem, any idea on the above? Can't see a 1075 error:confused:

Just had a BSOD, does this look like it's connected to the above I wonder?

BCCode : 9f BCP1 : 00000500 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 8856D760
    BCP4 : 881328A8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

How can you tell what all that mumble jumble means:confused:

• Advertisement

Another update on this. I went into msconfig and disabled all startup things, then restarted, then shut down and didn't get any of the shut down errors mentioned. But that's just disguising the problem. How can I tell what's up since it's too late when the error occurs for windows to write the error log 1075 I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Go back to msconfig and re-enable the startup items one at a time, restarting once after each to get the item running, and restarting again to see if you get the error. (So that's enable one, restart, restart, enable next one, and so on). It's a bit tedious and could take a while depending on how many startup items you have, but you should be able to figure out which one is causing the error.

Ok, I did the tedious task above, doing a few at a time, and have now narrowed it down that nwiz.exe is the problem.

Googles a bit and found this http://www.file.net/process/nwiz.exe.html so it seems other have had problems, but some think the file is essential.

It's part of my Nvidea graphics thingy I think?..

http://winhlp.com/node/188

That sorts it I hope.

ok, doing the DisableCache thingy didn't make any difference to my problem, so I deleted nwiz from the regedit/run folder and now the problem is gone. Hopefully it wont have any knock on effects!

• Advertisement
Advertisement