Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few mobile broadband questions ...

Options
  • 04-05-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be moving to dublin shortly (1 weeks time) and I'm looking into mobile broadband as a short term solution ( as well as a back up solution if my main net access goes down)

I've been looking over various threads on here and can't seem to make up my mind on which to get I think it comes down to O2 or Vodaphone ?

From what I've seen.

Three -> Cheap ... but not cheerful

Vodafone / O2 ... much of a muchness ?

I did a bit of a search online and came across Damien Mulley's site which has some stats for the various providers

http://www.mulley.net/2008/03/05/mobile-broadband-in-ireland-muck/

My requirements would be that its on I'm not too pushed about download speeds (though I'll probably regret saying that)

I'm going to be going from Galway to Dublin quite a bit on the train as well so it'd be nice to be able to work while doing that.

I'll presume using it with a voip service won't be up to much ? (blueface / skype) ?

Does the connection with it drop much ? (I'm connected via SSH to various systems so it'd be nice if things didn't drop all the time)

Any recommendations from anyone. I'm looking at living in the city center pretty much and I understand contention will drastically reduce my speeds.

Sorry for the basic questions I just don't want to sign up to something that doesn't do what I want and I don't think talking to a sales person would be a good idea on this (as they are out to sell)

I see O2 offer a 30 day happiness guarantee so if its not as good as I'd hope I shouldn't have too much trouble dropping it ?

Cheers,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mostly it's bad to unusable for VOIP, though it's possible.

It drops a lot, espicially if you are actually Mobile. You get a different IP session everytime even if the the DHCP gives the same address, as it is essentially high speed dialup. Contention is near exponential. With fixed broadband users you will get mostly your speed. With Mobile 3G/HSDPA, the speed is 1/20th to 1/30th with 10 users on a mast sector.

If you are in North Dublin you might consider Digiweb Mobile too. Different Technology to 3G/HSDPA.

Ripwave and Clearwire Wireless are also worth considering if you are not too worried about speed. Typically they can be similar performance to 3/O2/Vodaphone, but not as fast a peak speed. They are semi-portable Nomadic solutions.

Anyone like to comment what Irish train coverage is like? I used 3G/HSDPA mobile abroad on train and it was about 250kbps with dropouts. The train also had 220V sockets. I think our own folk are introducing trains with electric.

Read the FAQ here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Based on Wattys post you will have to buy 2 suscriptiond Digiweb and either O2 or Vodafone(Digiweb dublin only & O2 or Voda fo travelling). Best bet might be just to get O2 which would be probably as good as digiweb in dublin and you will be able to take it with you on your travels. Like you were saying as well there is a 30 day money back guarantee :cool:

Just to let you know Watty works for Digiweb which might be why he recommended them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Cheers for the replies guys ...

Checked out the FAQ and it had some of the info I needed (obviously should have done that to begin with)

I guess I had already answered my question when I mentioned 30 day money back thing :) Whats the worst that can happen :) (allows me to find a place in dublin and still have net access .. and if it works I'll be keeping it on)

Will order online tomorrow .. hopefully arrives before I leave (3 days delivery time mentioned on the site) So will give me some time to play before I leave and get it up and running ... at least I'll be able to test online and I'll let people know what its like on the train at some stage too :)

My MBP also has around a 5ish hour battery life ... so I should be fine on the train ... though I'm curious as to power consumption with the USB modem :)

admol wrote: »
    Based on Wattys post you will have to buy 2 suscriptiond Digiweb and either O2 or Vodafone(Digiweb dublin only & O2 or Voda fo travelling). Best bet might be just to get O2 which would be probably as good as digiweb in dublin and you will be able to take it with you on your travels. Like you were saying as well there is a 30 day money back guarantee :cool:

Just to let you know Watty works for Digiweb which might be why he recommended them.

I recommended checking a few things :) Not just Digiweb. I did point out the current geographical* limitation. I think the Digiweb Mobile is the only one not in the FAQ yet.

I'd not recommend two subs. If the O2 is OK for travelling in Train, it will be acceptable in most of Dublin. O2 is the only one with EDGE and 3G/HSDPA on the same mobile. As long as the iPhone doesn't get too popular :)

(* Should be changing this year)

forbairt wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys ...
    ... at least I'll be able to test online and I'll let people know what its like on the train at some stage too :)

My MBP also has around a 5ish hour battery life ... so I should be fine on the train ... though I'm curious as to power consumption with the USB modem :)

yes do test on the train the whole way. As the signal weakens the modem needs more power to transmit back (Virtually all Wireless Technologies). Hence the Y usb cable. It really should use 2 x USB sockets on the move. Extra draw is about 5W max. My laptop needs a 90W PSU for 1.8GHz and switches to 1.2GHz on battery (though goes to 1.8GHz automatically) and forced to a maximum of 1.2GHz on a 70W PSU.

Unless your Laptop is VERY small, it won't make much difference. It would be very noticable on something the style of a Eee PC or a Nokia 810.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

well digiweb is out due to lack of coverage outside dublin.

I just applied online for the O2 broadband so I guess I just have to wait a few days now. The 30 day trial period was the clencher for me if vodafone had a 30 day trial period I'd have probably gone with them as my mobile is with them as well.

Advertisement