Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor dealers take credit cards?

Options
  • 04-05-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Just wondering would most motor dealers take credit card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doubt it. They'll take a CC for a deposit but not for buying a new/expensive car. The CC companies take too big a % for the dealers to still make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They would for a service or something small.
    But afaik the credit card company charges a percantage on every sale.

So it might be a small amount but say for a car worth 5k, they'd probably say no way. They'd lose too much
    Bank draft solves all problems, they only cost €1.90

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

2.5% the cc companys change last time i check... and im sure the garage will charge you this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Taught they might. All those business's get charged to lodge cash/cheques/drafts and there is the hassle and cost of storing them. Just taught they would. Its a second hand car so its not that much. I might just put down a big deposit with the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

lazer card is only 25 cent for a transaction so that might be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Well I dont get charged for either (bank employee), but just needed a month or so extra grace instead of getting a car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

anto-t wrote: »
    lazer card is only 25 cent for a transaction so that might be better?

Most banks have a limit on debit cards too for security reasons.

Regarding the OP's question most garages will only accept a credit card as payment for a deposit. Cash and/or banker's draft is usually only accepted for the balance depending on the amount in question.

For servicing or repair work then it depends on the amount in question and the particular garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,867 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its common practice in the US to take them, as the cash handling fees for that amount of cash can often outweigh the merchant fees on the card, however bank draft seems to be the desired choice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

I work in car sales and we take credit cards for full payment regardless of amount and we dont charge any fee nor any extra for it. If I remember correctly laser card is €1500 per day limit, some banks may vary though but I doubt by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

T J Hooker wrote: »
    I work in car sales and we take credit cards for full payment regardless of amount and we dont charge any fee nor any extra for it. If I remember correctly laser card is €1500 per day limit, some banks may vary though but I doubt by much.

Just imagine if you have an american express card and you buy a car with it.The amount of benifits you can get is crazy like holidays etc. I would love to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Just imagine if you have an american express card and you buy a car with it.The amount of benifits you can get is crazy like holidays etc. I would love to get one.

Only problem is that American Express cards have to be fully cleared every month.

Victor_M wrote: »
    Only problem is that American Express cards have to be fully cleared every month.

No i dont think so as my cousin in the uk has one and he says he doesnt clear it, unless theres a different system over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my credit card comes with a cheque book, maybe you could rite a cheque to them.
    i done this a few times.

you get the month or so grace you need and the dealer just lodges the cheque as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,867 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor_M wrote: »

Some don't. They have 'charge cards' and 'credit cards', the standard card is the charge card that needs to be cleared in full. The interested is oppressive on the credit card ones.

MYOB wrote: »
    Some don't. They have 'charge cards' and 'credit cards', the standard card is the charge card that needs to be cleared in full. The interested is oppressive on the credit card ones.

Thanks, its abit clear now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You normally get charged a lot more interest for the credit card cheques - as if you had used your credit card at an ATM.

Lasers do have a daily limit, which I don't think can be changed. The 1500 mentioned earlier sounds about right.

Advertisement