Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops which display euro and sterling prices

Options
  • 04-05-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭

Was out shopping and I noticed places like Dunnes and Debenhams display both euro and sterling prices and the euro price is usually around 50% of the sterling price e.g. £8/€12 so basically giving an exchange rate of €1 = 66p so ripping off the euro consumer.

Can you say to the cashier that you want to pay in sterling as they display the price?

I didn't buy anything as I told her I refuse to buy anything with that exchange rate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Trampas wrote: »
    Can you say to the cashier that you want to pay in sterling as they display the price?

I didn't buy anything as I told her I refuse to buy anything with that exchange rate

Your first mistake was complaining to the cashier. Why do you expect her to do, give you a discount and lose her job? Ask for a manager next time, no point upsetting a cashier over something she can't change. Head office decide prices as it's a chainstore.

Nope, sterling ain't legal tender here so why would you think you could?
    Though I remember before the Euro, most shops accepts sterling copper coins, even 50p. Ah, good times :)

This sort of thread comes up all the time, I even started one similar for the price of magazines.
    UK Vat is 17.5% but 21% here, wages are higher, and many other business costs are higher.

Soution, take a shopping trip to Newry OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Was out shopping and I noticed places like Dunnes and Debenhams display both euro and sterling prices and the euro price is usually around 50% of the sterling price e.g. £8/€12 so basically giving an exchange rate of €1 = 66p so ripping off the euro consumer.

I didn't buy anything as I told her I refuse to buy anything with that exchange rate.
    No you do not have the right to offer the sterling price. The euro is the currency of Ireland.

They are not giving you an exchange rate. They are giving you the price in Ireland. It has been mentioned here before many times. There are factors other than exchange rate that make up the difference in price between the UK and Ireland e.g. VAT, cost of shipping, wage differences etc. It is not a plain and simple currency conversion.

If you want to buy the items in Sterling then go to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

axer wrote: »
    No you do not have the right to offer the sterling price.

that's not 100% correct. he has every right to offer whatever he wants for it. he could offer a jaunty tune in exchange for it if he wanted but they have the right to tell him to f*ck off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Places like Marks and Spencers accept Sterling but that doesn't mean you get the Sterling price. The price you pay will depend on the exchange rate.

Anyway, shops have been displaying prices in Sterling and in Euro for years, and the reason the Euro price is higher is generally because of higher costs. Of course, they probably add in a bit extra, but a lot of it is costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    that's not 100% correct. he has every right to offer whatever he wants for it. he could offer a jaunty tune in exchange for it if he wanted but they have the right to tell him to f*ck off :pac:
    Sorry, should have said they do not have to accept the sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

This was brought up on prime time before and the line the retailers take is

" the euro price is the price which they think the Irish customer will pay for the item. The Uk price is what the >>>.etc"

so effectively, if they sell item X at euro25 and we buy it, then why not charge it !!!

if we pay these euro prices - why would they give us the exchange rate stg price.
    Those labels have nothing to do with exchange rates.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

micmclo wrote: »
    This sort of thread comes up all the time, I even started one similar for the price of magazines.
    UK Vat is 17.5% but 21% here, wages are higher, and many other business costs are higher.

In the UK magazines have a 0% rate of VAT whereas in Ireland the rate is 21%. But expect magazines to come down soon, as far as I know Easons & Newspread who distribute nearly all magazines purchase their sterling every six months in May & November and price magazines accordingly.

So £3.95 UK magazine should be down to approx €6.20.

As to retail costs in Ireland - here's an example.

Lakeside Thurrock 2400 sq ft shop unit in good location - Rent £210,000 Rates £23,000. - Example = Russel & Bromley store on Ground Floor.

Liffey Valley 2100 sq ft shop unit - Rent €381,000, Rates €48,000. Example = former Special Days store.

Staff Costs - UK average £7 per hour. Ireland average €13 per hour. (includes employee prsi + holiday)

That's why things are dearer over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

mcaul wrote: »
    In the UK magazines have a 0% rate of VAT whereas in Ireland the rate is 21%. But expect magazines to come down soon, as far as I know Easons & Newspread who distribute nearly all magazines purchase their sterling every six months in May & November and price magazines accordingly.

yeah its every six months - Easons will actually take sterling [and US dollars as well] but they use their own exchange rate not what ever the current rate is and it to changes every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Well if you look at the german euro price its a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow, do you think the tills have dual floats or something? Do you think the items scan in both currencies? Do you think the cashier wouldn't be sacked if the cash office found sterling in the till later on? The cashier probably thought you were a sap, which is exactly what I think every time someone gets angry at the sterling price. Sure, it's high..but it's not my fault.

I work in Dunnes, prices are displayed in both currencies because there are Dunnes in the UK...it's a lot cheaper to not have to change the tags etc. In fact, a lot of the clothes are delivered at much more ridiculous conversion rates..and they're marked down. As well as that, the standard price has come down. Tops that used to be £15/€25 are now €22 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Both Clerys and Arnotts take Sterling. The tills have an inbuilt system that converts the currency for you, so even if a sterling price is displayed, you will not pay this price, but the price of whatever the currency exchange rate is on the till.

And no, they do not have dual floats, change is given in Euro. This is because it is harded to change coins at the banks.

Wow, do you think the tills have dual floats or something?

As most shops use computer till systems now the majority do take sterling [and some US dollars as well], you can put in that someone is paying in sterling and it will tell you how much change to give them in euro so you don't need two floats. Most shops actually take sterling but no coins only notes as you can just chuck them in the back of the till. I've worked a bunch of retail jobs when I was a student [Petrol station, UGC cinemas, Easons] and all took sterling.

Its very handy if you live near either side of the boarder up North as most people there would have both sterling and euro in their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Most shops do not take sterling. Why should they? It's not legal tender. Fair enough, shops near the border, and places like Arnotts and Clery's take sterling, that makes sense. Brown Thomas probably do as well. But the OP mentioned Dunnes, which is what annoyed me. There's something like 130 Dunnes in Ireland, it would be so much hassle if they were to accept sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I have a fantastic example of this!! Whilst shopping Saturday for said niece in Smyths i saw a toy that shines lights up to the ceiling and plays music.

On the price sticker showed £14.99 and €28.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say i didnt purchase the rip-off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mcaul wrote: »

So £3.95 UK magazine should be down to approx €6.20.

As to retail costs in Ireland - here's an example.

Lakeside Thurrock 2400 sq ft shop unit in good location - Rent £210,000 Rates £23,000. - Example = Russel & Bromley store on Ground Floor.

Liffey Valley 2100 sq ft shop unit - Rent €381,000, Rates €48,000. Example = former Special Days store.

Staff Costs - UK average £7 per hour. Ireland average €13 per hour. (includes employee prsi + holiday)

That's why things are dearer over here.
    with the exchange rate the costs work out about the same!

it would be so much hassle if they were to accept sterling.

why? I'm really not seeing what the hassle is. Every Easons store takes both dollar and sterling, alot of the cinemas do, most pertrol stations and I'm sure a chunk more shops do as well. The till does all the work and you put the sterling notes in with the credit card slips or at the bottom of the euro notes so they aren't in the way - you don't give change in sterling and the till tells what euro change to give back - its really straight forward. There are alot of shops in england that will take euro and give back change in sterling.

The only issue is people yelling about the difference between euro and sterling prices marked on items to which you just say there is a difference in tax and they need to go yell at their TD not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

supermouse wrote: »
    I have a fantastic example of this!! Whilst shopping Saturday for said niece in Smyths i saw a toy that shines lights up to the ceiling and plays music.

On the price sticker showed £14.99 and €28.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say i didnt purchase the rip-off!!

It wasnt a rip off, its just a different market, live in Europe man, its the same all over the place, the price of the product changes according to purchasing power of the region.

This goes for EVERYTHING .. computer hardware, fruit, veg.

Your more than welcome to travel there and avail of the price but if you want their price then how about you pay the rate of tax they pay and get the same wages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

To think any seperate prices are a rip-off is ridiculous. No, there aren;t men in expensive suitssmoking cigars and bumping up euro prices to give the brits and easy life, don't be ridiculous!
    micmclo wrote: »
    Nope, sterling ain't legal tender here so why would you think you could?
    Though I remember before the Euro, most shops accepts sterling copper coins, even 50p. Ah, good times :)

And you can pay in sterling in any shop that is British owned as long as the goods are imported from their warehouse's (and I dont mean where its manufactured, in which case everythings imported!) opposed to lets say dunnes which is Irish owned and exports it's goods to Britain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

I have about 80 quid is sterling pound coins only. Can I change this to euros anywhere? I don't care about the exchange rate just want the face value. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

That's not 50% of the sterling price, it is an added 50%, not 50% less :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement