Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Plain English...

Options
  • 04-05-2008 2:35pm

...can someone explain the correct usage of the "little gearstick" in a '07 Landcruiser. Yes, it will be traversing fields and ditches. (It's for my father-in-law, who never had a 4WD/AWD before.) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

It usually for engaging high and low 4WD gear ratios (low ratios are best for climbing steps muddy hill or towing very heavy loads and so on). Usually you can disengage the 4WD and just have 2WD, for driving on roads.

Yes, I know that much. But as far as I can gather a Landcruiser is permanent 4WD, and you use a different selection for, say slippery field driving to say, pulling a horse box. Which is what, is what he wants to know? He's not techy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The TLC is permanant awd, so most of the time the lever stays in the furtherest back position which is High range and AWD.
    The next position is High with Difflocked which will stop one wheel from spinning and stopping the vehicle, next position is Neutral which is for PTO.
    The next is low range which is for moderately snotty work maybe pulling a trailer up a steep hill, next is low difflocked which performs the same way as high difflocked but in a lower gear range.
    Locking the differential will make steering hard and stress components on grippy surfaces, so should not be used unless there is a way for a wheel to spin off the transmission windup.
    To summarise:
    99% of the time high range and no diff lock.
    when towing a horse box out of a slippery field high and locked,
    towing a trailer or other weight up a steep and grippy slope low
    driving truly off road low and locked.

Thank you CJH, that's plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there is only one low range position on the Land Cruiser, and that's L L (Low ratio with diff locked)

Make sure your father in law reads the manual before operating the diff lock/low ratio lever, there a few precautions to take.

• Advertisement

That's the thing....he doesn't DO reading! It has to be explained and shown., if you know what I mean. So, is what you are saying different to what CJH says?

Advertisement