Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes C180 advice

Options
  • 04-05-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am currently looking at a 1997 C180 petrol 1.8, 1997, has 75k miles, FSH, the paint work is not brilliant, has little circular scratches all over, like a car wash or something might do.
    Has a new NCT.
    The seats are ok, no tears etc.
    Will nead 2 new rear tyres soon.
    Price €3000

Any thoughts on value ?
    Is there anything in particular I should look out for ?
    Any problems with this model ?
    Fuel consumption ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd pass to be honest the C class of the 1994-2000 era is pretty blah. The price is perfectly okay but I could think of better cars of that class - A4 for a kickoff.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

DF1 wrote: »
    I am currently looking at a 1997 C180 petrol 1.8, 1997, has 75k miles, FSH, the paint work is not brilliant, has little circular scratches all over, like a car wash or something might do.
    Has a new NCT.
    The seats are ok, no tears etc.
    Will nead 2 new rear tyres soon.
    Price €3000

Any thoughts on value ?
    Is there anything in particular I should look out for ?
    Any problems with this model ?
    Fuel consumption ?

Would'nt be my favourite Merc but at that price and milage it seems like good value.

Is it a private sale ? Manual or Auto ?

Thats a point - never buy a Manual Merc.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats a point - never buy a Manual Merc.

Mike.

why?

The manual shift is fairly poor and the auto box is good but mainly cos the market equates Mercedes with Autoboxes. I wouldn't even consider a manual Benz even on a C class (where they are mainly manual due to stingy attitudes!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

The engine is quite slow for the weight of the car and a C200 or C240 with auto is a better bet and will see a less strained engine.

Manual (I've driven a similar 180) is clunky as hell. Grand for a long journey, although I suppose at €3k it's as cheap as it will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sound, solid car and good value for money. I'd advice autobox too, but the reason not to buy a manual is watered down over the years. Buy a new manual Merc and struggle to sell it on even at a very low price. But 11 years down the line, a €3k manual C180 is still good value in my book

Personally, I'd go for a C280. Auto. It will cost a bit more to tax and in fuel, but it would be well worth it for the extra poke and refinement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't you need 3 feet on a hill for a manual Merc, because of the foot operated handbrake that they all have(actually how does one use a foot operated handbrake)? Meaning yet another reason to avoid a manual Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

E92 wrote: »
    Don't you need 3 feet on a hill for a manual Merc, because of the foot operated handbrake that they all have(actually how does one use a foot operated handbrake)? Meaning yet another reason to avoid a manual Merc.
    Pretty sure the foot operated handbrake is not released by your foot.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Pretty sure the foot operated handbrake is not released by your foot.

The foot operated handbrake in my car (BMW 735) is indeed released by pulling a lever on the right hand sight of the dash with your hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

its an automatic alright.
    It would only be used about once a week so i didnt really want to be spending a fotune on road tax.
    Looing at 220 CE auto's too.
    Seem alot better spec inside, know nothing about realibility.
    I see them advertised in UK for round £1500 - 2000.
    VRT seems to be about the €1500 mark.
    Thats for a 1993 about 100k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

DF1, if the paintwork will polish up ok and the car has no hidden faults then that is good value.

Didn't realise that you release it with your hand(though if it's that easy couldn't a small child left unattended easily release it or does it require a bit of force(presumably it does)?), but you still need 3 feet, because when you brake in order to stop a car on a hill(you don't need the parking brake on the flat if you're in traffic most of the time and should you need it, you'll be able to put it into neutral or come off the footbrake so it's not a problem), you have your foot on the brake pedal, and also you clutch in to prevent it cutting out as the engine gets to about 1,000 rpm, so how do you apply the foot operated parking brake then short of getting the car to cut out(which means you lose the servo assistance) or else be in neutral(a BAD idea on a hill) when you have to do this manoever(well wehatever the correct way that word is spelt) on a hill?

Releasing it is the same as your standard hard operated parking brake in that you don't need 3 feet to do the operation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It requires good co ordination but it's possible to hold a such car on the clutch for a moment, and then release the handbrake with your hand.

Alternatively park on the flat.

I've wondered why the 190 model had a proper handbrake and yet no other Merc did (does?).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that you release it with your hand(though if it's that easy couldn't a small child left unattended easily release it or does it require a bit of force(presumably it does)?), but you still need 3 feet, because when you brake in order to stop a car on a hill(you don't need the parking brake on the flat if you're in traffic most of the time and should you need it, you'll be able to put it into neutral or come off the footbrake so it's not a problem), you have your foot on the brake pedal, and also you clutch in to prevent it cutting out as the engine gets to about 1,000 rpm, so how do you apply the foot operated parking brake then short of getting the car to cut out(which means you lose the servo assistance) or else be in neutral(a BAD idea on a hill) when you have to do this manoever(well wehatever the correct way that word is spelt) on a hill?

Releasing it is the same as your standard hard operated parking brake in that you don't need 3 feet to do the operation.

Not sure how the Merc does it but in my missus scenic to release the handbrake with the pull lever you have to push a button at the same time for the reason of kids/pets.

Setting it is different to the merc because there is no pedal, you oull the handle, so no issue with stopping on hills etc, plus it sets automatically when you knock off the engine.

mike65 wrote: »
    I've wondered why the 190 model had a proper handbrake and yet no other Merc did (does?).

Mike.
    Don't the current A and B-class have a proper handbrake? AFAIK the latest W221 S-class has one of those electric handbrakes like the one in the 7 series. I can never remember any other Merc with a proper handbrake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I drive a 1998 C180.

I really like it. It's like a tank on wheels.

Don't touch an automatic unless you have the engine for it. C180 does not have the engine.

C180 is not underpowered as many people keep saying. It's perfectly fine. The car is very heavy, which is why you never feel the full kick back of an 1800cc engine.

The parking break (hand brake) is a joy to use. It's so easy to use that I tend to use it every time I stop. Ill try explain how it works.

Right foot is still on the brake and car is in gear. Take the car out of gear. Press the parking brake pedal with left foot. Relax.

Put the car in gear. Bring up the revs a little bit (or not) and let the clutch catch (or not) then pull out the parking brake with your right hand. I'm used to it so my clutching and accelerating is timed perfectly with the hand brake. Similar to normal handbrake's in that sense.

Hill starts are the same. Even in traffic its the same. But some drivers like to pull on the hand brake when they are moving so slow that they begin to move backwards. I wouldn't do this with the parking brake. Right foot on brake, then left foot hits the parking brake. It's probably good practice anyway.

I think it's a lovely car to drive. It's not exciting like a sports car would be, but its just really comfortable and the kind of car you want to just get in and cruise leisurely in.

Downsides: I'm tall. 6 foot 4 inches. I've a bad knee too. So I feel a bit cramped when driving the car because the leg room does not have a lot of height for someone my size. Coupled with my bad knee, it's not healthy. That's pretty much the reason why I'll be selling my car this summer. I need something I can fit into :o

Make sure the car passes it's NCT. Check all the electronics (sun roof, windows, mirrors etc). Make sure all the lights come on when the car starts.

Other than that, it's just a really reliable car. Saying that now, id to fork out nearly 500 euro for a new MAF senser and new Air flow meters. These can be common on w202s. So inquire if they had them done. Make sure the window wiper works perfectly too. Grease it up if you decide to buy it. Because if that motor goes, its very expensive to replace.

Some people say the rear tires wear down easily. So check them too. I haven't had that issue. Probably because they drive the car quite aggressively.

Can't think of anything else. I found the C180 more comfortable than the A4. But the A4 has a bit more poke.

The price you're getting is really good.

Just read it's an auto :(

Well there is nothing wrong with it to be honest. It just seems to be quite sluggish. Test drive it and see what you think of it!

The manual gear box is fine. It feels really solid and the big arm rest is so comfortable because there is no hand brake. So its nice resting my left arm on the arm rest and right arm on the big tank like door while parked on the M50 :D

The speakers are quite good too. The radio is just a radio. Nothing amazing about my one. Has a phone attached to it, but I wouldn't out my sim in it. Too much effort.

Boot is a nice size.

Sounds like it would be a bit too dead for me, I dont drive fast bu would like to have a bit on reserve for overtaking.
    Just looking at 220 ce's on net, seem reasonably priced, tax would be a bit more.
    I've never owned an auto so thought it would be nice for a change that's all.
    Would only be doing about a 100 mile a week.
    The 180 i was looking at had very basic seats, would like leathr if possible.
    the small miles and FSh is attractive though.

The rear tyres are more or less wore out alright.

The seller says it passed the nct last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Boll*x on the 'auto no good' theory.

The basic Merc advice has always been: with a petrol engine, always go for auto.

Power in reserve? Just use the gear lever to drop to third gear. The kickdown can also be used, but is not as smooth as using the lever.

[edit] Once you've driven an automatic, you won't want to go back!

Not your ornery onager

As for the reserve on over taking, its a perfectly fine car for doing it. Even with 4 people in it, I've no problems over taking.

I think why people consider it to be slow is because you'd have to drop a gear, revs up at nearly 3.5 or 4 thousand just to overtake comfortably. Sure its the same with the Golf 1.4 and Almera 1.8 that I've driven. But for a merc, I guess people expect to have more power at the pedal.

Leather interior is always nice :) Mine doesnt have it. But at the 10 year mark, I doubt having leather interior will cost you an arm and a leg more. <- Just a guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

The specifications of the c180 is very poor, for example my uncles one had no electric windows( it's a Merc thats weird ) No leather, No wood effect dash. Very un Merc like thing from what I remember. The c200 has most of the toys. I would over look the c180 in my opinion.

Don't stereotype the C180 mondeo. They come in many different flavours.

Classic, Elegance, Sport and Espirit. I think thats them.

The client could customise the C180 with lots of different features. Some had lots of features, some have very few.

Just because you uncles car was very low spec, doesn't mean they all are.

In fact that's probably true to many cars today. The basic spec isn't great.

Here's the old C180 advert. Back in 1993 maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU5tWonNP3I

It's pretty damn embarrassing :D

Maybe I should hang on a while and look for one with leather etc.
    That 1 i looked at for 3000 seemed good value out the outset but it is not really the spec i'm looking for so fuk it i think stay looking. had it in my head at 1 stage to by a vintage 350sl, but i think it would take alot of maintenance.
    Either way i'll wither buy a fairly modern smaller than 2 litre or go vintage with big engine. fuel consumption not a mojo issue because of small mileage but i refuse to pay big road tax to mr gormley !.

Half the fun is in the hunt! So enjoy it man. It's one of the few times that I enjoy shopping.

I spent weeks looking for a car. Then one day my uncle told me to check out a car he seen near his job. A day later I had a deposit on it. :)

The W202 C-class like all Mercs until about 7 or 8 years ago had a pittance of a spec list as standard. Merc supplied you a car, and then you had to go and build it yourself! Unlike all Mercs in the past 7 or 8 years, the W202 is from the days when Mercs were built like tanks and never went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Had a c180 auto, lovely car , very reliable, a little underpowered though and did around 30 mpg for me.

• Advertisement

Here's the old C180 advert. Back in 1993 maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU5tWonNP3I

Good find :D

Those marketing boys are away with the fairies though :rolleyes:

Advertisement