Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes C180 advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I had a '95 C180 manual, and I loved the gearbox, so effortless and smooth. I had the Elegance spec, and I absolutly loved the car. Lovley squidgy 'soft touch' steering wheel in leather, moon (sun) roof, all round electrics, beigh interior, and the rear seats had built in chile seats, ie; the middle of the seat lifted up so a child would fit into the seat belt properly. Great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I agree with what most of the guys say, I've had a 1994 C200 Manual for years, great car, no trouble, save for the wiper mechaniusm and if the viscous fan fails it will heat up and crack the radiator expansion bottle. Handbrake is a doddle BTW.

All these parts can be bought cheap.

I changed that car for a 99 C180 A/T which is considerably slower, and louder, but if you get a decent spec its a solid comfy and durable car, but dont get a poverty spec model.

The price on that one seems pretty good, worth a look !

Examine the cars for rust though, particularly if its a UK car !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I had a 94 C220 auto for a couple of years and loved it.
    Elegance spec, elec all round and leather interior.
    When they are good, they are good.
    Mechanicals are fairly straight forward on them, and are easy to work on, so you're mechanic won't mind.
    If you are looking out for one, it's worth waiting till the right one comes up, Elegance spec, and has been looked after etc. a cheap one that's been thrashed will not be worth the hassle.
    C240 and C280s are 6 cylinder, 180, 200 & 220 are four pots. Whilst the 6 pots will be smoother, they were not that well regarded.
    Manuals are not a problem, and are only undesirable if the car is newish, and you are worried about residuals. High proportion of Irish registered Mercs are manuals, as that's the cheapest route into ownership.
    But as another poster said, once you've gone automatic, you'll never drive a manual again

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote: »
    no trouble, save for the wiper mechaniusm

That reminds me of a colleague spending £800 (sterling) to get the windscreen wiper motor replaced at a dealer :eek:

Advertisement