Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Motivation

Options
  • 04-05-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Anyone else seriously lacking motivation to get studying? Anyone got any tips? I just really cannot be arsed to be honest.
    I think the problem is that this year doesn't even count for me so it all seems a tad futile. Although last year it wasn't a problem...though I was a silly little first year thinking it was really important. It's annoying me cos I know it doesn't matter but at the same time...I want to do well. :(

As shameful as it is, I'm wiling away the hours watching Hollyoaks...:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This Website is a fantastic motivator for those who wish to avoid doing any work during college. Believe it or not, while first and second year dont officially count they do ask for your grades from these years on an MA application.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Grimes wrote: »
    This Website is a fantastic motivator for those who wish to avoid doing any work during college.

G
    :D
    I feel motivated, thanks Grimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I know what you mean, the closer we get to the exams, the less I seem to be studying. As school teachery as this sounds, breaking the subjects up into small manageable tasks seems to help me, plus there's the satisfaction of crossing each task off the list. (though that might just be me with my pedantic list making ways:p)
    In terms of getting motivated in the first place, it's hard, (and the reason I'm on boards right now...) but I just keep reminding myself of what I want out of life, and how good grades are going to get me there.
    In the other, Pavolv's dog kind of way, you can always do the reward system. i.e. a cigarette break between every block, or a good morning of studying = an afternoon off.
    Hope something works, and hey if it doesn't don't worry too much, it'll only give you wrinkles!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I really have no motivation for studying. I never have, to be honest. I just hate that I could be lying out in the grass sunbathing right now :( Even if I find the stuff interesting (and I do for most of my courses), I just can't get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭CrazyPolly

Grimes wrote: »
    Believe it or not, while first and second year dont officially count they do ask for your grades from these years on an MA application. G

:eek: Really?? Aw crap....
    You may have provided me with the motivation I needed...or on the other hand, you may have just depressed me so much I'm going to give up altogether....

Nah...I'm motivated...cheers Grimes! :D Neurophysiology here I come....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭CrazyPolly

(though that might just be me with my pedantic list making ways:p)

I do that too!! For everything and anything but especially studying....there's a satisfying feeling crossing stuff off alright. Plus it makes you feel like you're actually getting stuff done.

I'm trying the reward thingy already....if I get done everything scheduled today, I'm buying myself a hairband tomorrow..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah I really have no motivation for studying. I never have, to be honest. I just hate that I could be lying out in the grass sunbathing right now :( Even if I find the stuff interesting (and I do for most of my courses), I just can't get into it.

It's not something you just do, it's continual practice and repetition and you have to train yourself to the extent that study becomes the means to achieve something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The World Snooker Championship final is on, how can I study? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I only have one final so focussing has proved difficult after a solid week of doing the same thing over and over.

It's actually easier if you ask me to have at least 2 exams than to have one.

The way I keep myself focussed when I lose motivation is to get a group together - we have three of us who get together and talk through all the typical questions and topics for things when we begin to lose focus - in two hours you get a run through of the course and you feel like you've still done stuff and learnt things.

It's also handy as it exposes your weak areas of your study very quickly and motivates you to go over that then (currently what I'm doing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I know what you mean, the closer we get to the exams, the less I seem to be studying. As school teachery as this sounds, breaking the subjects up into small manageable tasks seems to help me, plus there's the satisfaction of crossing each task off the list. (though that might just be me with my pedantic list making ways:p)
    In terms of getting motivated in the first place, it's hard, (and the reason I'm on boards right now...) but I just keep reminding myself of what I want out of life, and how good grades are going to get me there.
    In the other, Pavolv's dog kind of way, you can always do the reward system. i.e. a cigarette break between every block, or a good morning of studying = an afternoon off.
    Hope something works, and hey if it doesn't don't worry too much, it'll only give you wrinkles!:)

I do all those things! They used to work for me, though my motivation for these exams is more or less non-existent. Every twenty minutes or half an hour I completely lose concentration.

As far as I can tell, I've covered everything I need to, but I don't actually know it. Which is an issue in exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I eventually motivate myself, its just a matter of when I start studying. The best way IMO is to do a little and build up. When I am in the study groove I feel a lot sharper and smarter. Man I have to start today, exams on Thursday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

They also look at your 1st and 2nd year grades if you're going for a summer internship... teaches me for screwing up my first semester of second year

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Tom65 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, I've covered everything I need to

jesus, problem solved!!go out and enjoy the sunshine!if youve done everything but dont think you know it, just look over it again the night before and your sorted?!!its been proven that the more you look at notes, your brain starts to think it doesnt need to know it...wierd but true supposedly??

i wish i was in your boat :(

Ballerina wrote: »
    jesus, problem solved!!go out and enjoy the sunshine!if youve done everything but dont think you know it, just look over it again the night before and your sorted?!!its been proven that the more you look at notes, your brain starts to think it doesnt need to know it...wierd but true supposedly??

i wish i was in your boat :(

I wish that was true.
    I don't actually know the stuff. I'm a whizz at spending a couple of hours mindlessly writing things down, finishing and realizing that I didn't actually learn any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

I wish that was true.
    I don't actually know the stuff. I'm a whizz at spending a couple of hours mindlessly writing things down, finishing and realizing that I didn't actually learn any of it.

oh yea me too ugh its painful.even the night before an exam im sitting ther writing perfect notes,its pointless!i havent even written notes on everything yet,once thats done its cool.wish they examined your notes and folder...points for organisation and id get an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Studying for me is very much similar to my approach to assignments, i.e last minute. I find I always do assignments the day or two before the deadline and when I try to do it beforehand I just get bored too quickly.

Same with studying, I only really get into it when I feel pressure and I'm really laid back so thats only happens a few days before the exam.

I'm a procrastination King :|

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I wish that was true.

I can completely relate! My notes tend to be very tidy and colour co-ordinated, and then I look them over and can only remember half the stuff. That's when the depressing flash cards come out...:(

Got to say though, all the continuous assessment marks going in make it much less stressful

Ballerina wrote: »
    oh yea me too ugh its painful.even the night before an exam im sitting ther writing perfect notes,its pointless!i havent even written notes on everything yet,once thats done its cool.wish they examined your notes and folder...points for organisation and id get an A1

That would be amazing. Not only do I have notes, I also have schedules written out. Not that I stick to them; but its important to write them out. I'm not sure why though.
    I can completely relate! My notes tend to be very tidy and colour co-ordinated, and then I look them over and can only remember half the stuff. That's when the depressing flash cards come out...:(

Got to say though, all the continuous assessment marks going in make it much less stressful

Yup, I only got one C (the rest being As and Bs) in any assignment over the course of the semester, so at least I know I have 20-25% already in some of my exams.

Flash cards I never understood though. I remember trying them for Junior Cert history. What's wrong with a good old fashioned piece of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

I should be studying...
    I'm doing my Masters and have no motivation at all!
    I always get motivated just after the first exam, that's when I realize how f*cked I am. Here all you need is 60% or more and you will be grand. A 2:2 is worth sh!t all tho... Keep that in mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

No exams for me :D

I had the fortune of choosing modules that were assignment/presentation/continuous assessment based. Last semester I tried choosing the subjects that I liked and was interested in. Not only did they turn out to be pants, but as well as having presentations and assignments, I managed to have 4 exams spread over less than 48 hrs. I was fuming. I was determined that I wouldn't end up in the same position, hence why I choose non exam subjects.

Only 1 more assignment left, and its not due till the 19th, boo yah!

However, before you get too jealous, I have a dissertation to complete over the summer, :(

• Advertisement

The sun. The most effect study demotivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm watching episodes of Brideshead Revisited online instead of styudying Medieval English... I didn't buy any of the books because they were too expensive for one module, so its GoogleBooks for me.
    My first exam isn't til Friday, so hopefully I'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

I went to the beach today for a few hours, having convinced myself that the fresh air would be good for getting over my cold and that I've studied plenty for the past...two days. I'd say it was worth it except that the mist blocked out most of the sun. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

No exams for me :D

I had the fortune of choosing modules that were assignment/presentation/continuous assessment based. Last semester I tried choosing the subjects that I liked and was interested in. Not only did they turn out to be pants, but as well as having presentations and assignments, I managed to have 4 exams spread over less than 48 hrs. I was fuming. I was determined that I wouldn't end up in the same position, hence why I choose non exam subjects.

Only 1 more assignment left, and its not due till the 19th, boo yah!

However, before you get too jealous, I have a dissertation to complete over the summer, :(

My cousin did something like that. Only he chose classes that didn't start til after 11. Now he's a waster... sigh

Advertisement