Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bates in Rathdrum

Options
  • 04-05-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Recently found myself off during the week, so myself the missus decided to check out Bates lunch time menu.

We arrived early @12 noon, and were asked to come back in 30mins as lunch didnt start until 12:30..so over to the coffin shed across the way for a light refreshment. We arrive at 12:30 and are greeted by a very nice well spoken waiter, and directed to a nice large table for two.

Menus were distributed and drinks orders taken, all very good and efficient, we browsed the menu, and although a little more expensive than expected, we where encouraged by the selection of seafood’s (a personal fav) couple mins later the waiter arrived with our drinks, water for myself and a 7up for the missus.

I went ahead and ordered the smoked salmon, and herself the mushrooms, followed by lamb main course and the seafood risotto, while we waited the waiter dropped off some freshly baked bread, which with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar setup the palette perfect, for what was hopefully a nice lunch. To be honest what arrived at my table was THE most amazing array of seafood that King Neptune himself would be excited about, it had everything, mussels, squid rings, little squids (which by her own omission where to cute to eat, but by mine tasted absolutely great ) there’s too much on this plate to describe except that it all went swimmingly for me no so good for the little squids.. Herself was similarly impressed, the mushrooms cooked to perfection and tasted fantastic. While enjoying this I had a look around and noticed how spotlessly clean everywhere was, the decor was very modern with a progressive nod to country in style, with ample us of wood.

Enough of the jibber jabber about decor and on to the main course, to recap I ordered the lamb cutlets and herself the seafood risotto, everything arrived as hot as you'd expect, plates where rectangle in shape and what was in the middle resembled quite the painting I look forward to, perfectly cooked to my request, no sauce and no garnish, perfection. The risotto was similar with steam gently rising from the bowl, indicating ultra freshness.

How to describe the lamb - melt-in-your-mouth with just the right bit of charring on the sides, the only thing missing from this picture was a nice glass of red, which will have to be reserved for our next meeting. All positive noises from the opposite side of the table mean I would give Bates, 9.5 out of 10, I will mark them down a half as our waiter forgot to refresh my glass with water, but he returned with a jug for which I'll return the half point to award bates a full 10/10.

Contact details,

Bates Restaurant

Rathdrum Town,
    Co. Wicklow
    +353 (0)402-29988

Advertisement