Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people wanna stay mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Surely when at least 3 people reported it that something would be said on thread.

The thread wasn't edited or locked.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not every mod posts on the forums they mod as well. I am a mod of 3 forums and have totally different levels of involvement in them.

Poker - Read loads, not all as it is very busy. Spend most of my boards time there, post lots.
    Gambling - I'm the only mod there (except the cmod) and check it a few times a day, read a good few of the threads, post occasionally. It's not that busy.
    Winter Sports - Two very good other mods there that a re far more active posting than me. Very few reported posts on this, not sure if any reported that wasn't just spam. I still visit it regularly, but don't post that often.

There are probably some mods who don't really contribute in any meaningful way anymore for whatever reasons, but a lot of threads in the mod forum where people say they will step down as they don't have enough time etc means that a lot of mods do take it seriously if they feel they can't contribute in the proper manner anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

5starpool wrote: »
    Not every mod posts on the forums they mod as well. I am a mod of 3 forums and have totally different levels of involvement in them.

Poker - Read loads, not all as it is very busy. Spend most of my boards time there, post lots.
    Gambling - I'm the only mod there (except the cmod) and check it a few times a day, read a good few of the threads, post occasionally. It's not that busy.
    Winter Sports - Two very good other mods there that a re far more active posting than me. Very few reported posts on this, not sure if any reported that wasn't just spam. I still visit it regularly, but don't post that often.

There are probably some mods who don't really contribute in any meaningful way anymore for whatever reasons, but a lot of threads in the mod forum where people say they will step down as they don't have enough time etc means that a lot of mods do take it seriously if they feel they can't contribute in the proper manner anymore.

you know, i used to mod so many forums. in fact, it became a game of who could mod the most forums for a while. this was a long time ago, and for a number of us, it was about showing to everyone just how involved in the site we were. the more you modded, the more you were a part of something special.
    these days, you can be a mod if you fall over in the street :)

but thats not the point. i dropped modding all of the forums becuase i simply dont have the time. but it is true that there are different levels of involvement, and if nothing is wrong, then if you arent actively involve, what are you going to post about.
    i think most users in a forum know what the state of play is after a while.
    so if a mod doesnt post a lot, but does when appropriate, people tend not to moan about it.
    if the forum goes a little weird, and no mod appears after a while, then i think a user is well within their right to ask what the story is.

anyway, enough if this why do mods want to me mods, why do users want to be mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Why do people wanna stay mods? Imo that the marjority of them are best mates (pub or real mates).I think that the moderators should have no connection with each other by knowing each other imo.Should the moderaters on each forum be qualified to to know things on issues.Eg motors forum should have a qualified mechanic in order to moderate in these type of forums?Imo.
    Im only pointing out is what feel about the moderators and not argueing the facts about them as its only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

davey180 wrote: »
    Why do people wanna stay mods? Imo that the marjority of them are best mates (pub or real mates).

I wouldn't go that far, yeah sure a lot of them are friendly but most new mods that have been appointed in the last year have been fairly unknown outside of the small section of boards that they're active in. It used to be that the admins preferred to give moderatorships to people they knew in real life, but that stopped being feasible a long time ago.

I had never met anyone off boards when I was first made a moderator several years ago. I was made a moderator because I had a genuine interest in the forum that I proposed and seemed a suitable candidate and had been around for a while. Or Vexorg might have been very drunk at the time. I don't know for sure, but the former sounds better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'm only a mod about a month, i basically live in the body modification forum. I've a huge interest in piercing, bordering on obsession some might say. I don't know other mods, nor the admins. I was given it because of my contributions to the forum over a period of almost 3 years or so.
    Its not a buddy system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Why do people wanna stay mods? Imo that the marjority of them are best mates (pub or real mates).I think that the moderators should have no connection with each other by knowing each other imo.Should the moderaters on each forum be qualified to to know things on issues.Eg motors forum should have a qualified mechanic in order to moderate in these type of forums?Imo.
    Im only pointing out is what feel about the moderators and not argueing the facts about them as its only my opinion.
    didnt you leave or something? anyway,just because there are some friendships doesnt make it a conspiracy.
    pretty much what wilburt said is how it is.
    Wilburt wrote: »
    I'm only a mod about a month, i basically live in the body modification forum. I've a huge interest in piercing, bordering on obsession some might say. I don't know other mods, nor the admins. I was given it because of my contributions to the forum over a period of almost 3 years or so.
    Its not a buddy system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It used to be a buddy system*, quite understandably at the time.

That was a very long time ago in terms of this site.

I don't think some people realise just how many users and mods there are on boards.

It is physically impossible for us all to be part of one big clique, in fact some of us irritate the hell out of one another.

* This term is incorrect. Actually a buddy system does exist in parts, where a new mod is paired with a more experienced one to learn the ropes. Think scuba divers and firemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Why do people wanna stay mods?

I like the inflated sense of self esteem that one can only appreciate from being a mod.

And the "free pie thursday" really makes my time here worthwhile.

It is physically impossible for us all to be part of one big clique, in fact some of us irritate the hell out of one another.

You should have seen some of the infighting of the old days...

• Advertisement

I'd well believe it ;)

GS; that's two pies you owe me now, sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nesf wrote: »
    You should have seen some of the infighting of the old days...
    Define old days? '98-''01?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

kaimera wrote: »

I think I caught the tail end of what most would call the "old days", though 02 could be put in there aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 emma peel

Being a mod can be a tough job especially on a smaller board where the core posters have formed a tight community. If you move from being a regular poster to a mod and then start handing out warnings, infractions and the like, suddenly friends aren't friends any more. My experience is that everybody wants the mods to punish people they don't like, but everybody screams bloody murder when they get so much as a warning themselves. And because people don't always know what action has been taken, they assume that nothing has been done.

After a couple of years of modding at another board, I stepped down because the board got bigger, there was a lot of infighting, and finally the board split and I no longer wanted to be part of a place I helped build from day one. It didn't help that the admin was young and inexperienced, and that he was rarely around except to hand out bans. He almost never communicated with the mods about anything important -- not even rule changes!

Being a mod is a thankless job for the most part. Ideally, I don't think a mod should post in a forum, and maybe even on a board that they moderate, but then that's not much fun for the mods. My favourite part of modding was posting and editing threads, but handling member disputes is much more difficult. You literally can't win in those situations no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, that's my two cents' worth.

Screw the modding, I loved your work in the Avengers ;)

queenofsin.jpg

...but seriously.

Here, mods post away on "their" fora. It's even encouraged.

Disputes in which users may find it difficult to see whether a mod has their hat on or off when posting are rare, but they do happen.

kaimera wrote: »

As far as I remember. I only was around for the end of it iirc. I lurked for half of '00 before joining up in later '01.

:) LOVE Emma. She cracks a mean whip. :D

I only know of a few boards in the U.S. where mods aren't allowed to post, but frankly, I don't think it's fair. Those mods are also paid something, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Or maybe even whips a mean crack ;)

^^I like the way you think. :)

emma peel wrote: »
    :)Those mods are also paid something, I believe.
    Oi! Vexorg

• Advertisement

^^I like the way you think. :)
    And I would like you too if you remotely look anything like the real Emma Peel ;)

muffler wrote: »
    And I would like you too if you remotely look anything like the real Emma Peel ;)

Sorry, I'm a blue-eyed blonde with a wicked smile and no whip. :p But I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Awww...no whip!
    I see I was right to get behind Thaed all along.
    :) LOVE Emma. She cracks a mean whip. :D

I only know of a few boards in the U.S. where mods aren't allowed to post, but frankly, I don't think it's fair. Those mods are also paid something, I believe.

that can be the case. Back a few years my brother was offered moderator position on a band's website but couldn't accept it as a then minor.

Regarding the old days I would assume anything before the ISDN/Hi-Speed boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Overheal wrote: »
    Awww...no whip!
    I see I was right to get behind Thaed all along.
    i thought you were behind Beruthiel the whole time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nerin wrote: »
    i thought you were behind Beruthiel the whole time :p

I can't have both? Or all three? Don't forget Faith: All I have to do is kill Sylar and Peter Petrelli and she's mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Overheal wrote: »
    I can't have both? Or all three? Don't forget Faith: All I have to do is kill Sylar and Peter Petrelli and she's mine.

Lol, good luck with that! I go for the power...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Faith wrote: »
    Lol, good luck with that! I go for the power...
    ESB are hiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Wilburt wrote: »
    Its not a buddy system.
    *le sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

muffler wrote: »

Aye she's a real hottie: riggPA_243x266.jpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

something you want to get off your chest davey?

Advertisement