Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 weeks holidays for the Garda, is this true?

• 04-05-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm told the Garda get 35 days annual holidays. Is this true?

Does this translate into 7 weeks like it would mean to a regular job (assuming 2 days off a week).

What sorta restrictions do they have on these? Can they just jet off for 2 weeks every now and again?

Can they just take random days ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Its 34 days. It can also be increased using time off in lieu of hours worked (insted of claiming overtime).

Some Gardai jet off to Oz or Thailand for 3 months every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

And don't Supers and above get 54 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

34 days.. but you dont get your Bank holidays off :(

and dont forget that auld "exigencies" business.. you day off, or Leave can be cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

pa990 wrote: »
    34 days.. but you dont get your Bank holidays off :(

and dont forget that auld "exigencies" business.. you day off, or Leave can be cancelled
    So you've booked your 3 weeks holidays in Thailand. They can cancel it and you just loose all your money? They can call you home early? Who pays for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

doesn't really happen.. but technically it can. in the event of a major emergency etc

If you're outside the country you wont be called home, its generally applies to if you are on annual leave and within the state, there are also rules about getting sick while on leave, and being able to cancel your annual leave and take sick leave instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

We get 34 days but no bank holidays and remember that we may have to take 7 days leave off because we work weekends. That includes family events, concerts or whatever it is you want to go to. For most they are off anyway but for us it means a holiday day.

And yes, they can and do cancel your leave if something comes up. Had it done to me on more than one occasion but never when I have been out of the country. More often than not they will just refuse applications for leave on a certain day or call in people that are on their day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Guards still work 20 days in 4 weeks like the rest of the country. They dont get more time off than private sector;

rondeco wrote: »
    Guards still work 20 days in 4 weeks like the rest of the country. They dont get more time off than private sector;
    Surely 34 days is much higher than a normal jobs holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

random wrote: »
    Surely 34 days is much higher than a normal jobs holidays?

Ahh! A normal job, you mean one with four weeks holidays per year and nine public holidays, which adds up to 29 days.

The working week for Gardai is supposed to be 39 hrs but due to the roster system in operation a 40 hr week is worked by all Gardai.

So, that extra hour per week multiplied by 52 is equal to 6.5 days, subtract that from 34 and you get 27.5 days which is the real Annual Leave figure.

And before you start complaining that everybody else works 40 hrs, they don't! The average working week in Ireland is 38 hrs per week. We dont make the rules regarding our anual leave we just have to live by them:D

Just to clarify - I'm not saying Guards have it easy, or better, or worse or anything that anyone else. I just want to know about the holidays and how they work. Just in case anyone gets the wrong impression :)

When the guards work their 40 hour weeks they get the extra hours pay as overtime, is that right?

I'm not complaining about anyone else getting 40hrs or otherwise.

Do Garda not get time and a half or double time on Bank hols like a "normal" person would if they had to work it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

Just to clarify - I'm not saying Guards have it easy, or better, or worse or anything that anyone else. I just want to know about the holidays and how they work. Just in case anyone gets the wrong impression :)

When the guards work their 40 hour weeks they get the extra hours pay as overtime, is that right?

Do Garda not get time and a half or double time on Bank hols like a "normal" person would if they had to work it?

We do but have no choice whether to work or not. same thing with christmas, new years etc, if your rostered to work then tough luck

That's fair enough then .. like a lot of people in retail in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Bwaaaahahaha!

Yeah random... As if working in Topman means you could be in from 10pm til 6am over christmas eve/day.

"Yeah, I just got called in on a bank holiday, yeah like, total emergency, we were out of tight trousers for emo kids in the mens section" :D

I mean with bank holidays in general. Of course there's the Christmas but it depends how much Xmas means to you really!

lol @ total emergency :D

I work in a Centra part-time myself. Their definition of an emergency is a spill on aisle 4... :rolleyes:

With so much leave available, and the shift system, I'd say a garda could make it work for him and get a week off using only 2 or 3 days leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I realise Clara said yes but we actually dont. Allow me to explain:

joe Soap works 40 hours Monday to Friday and gets paid for a bank holiday without working it which is 5 days pay for 4 days worked.

Garda doesnt work the bank holiday and for the same 5 days (Monday to Friday) only gets paid for 4 days or Garda works the full week including bank holiday and gets a bank holiday allowance which is equivalent of an extra days pay (some call that double time)

So if Joe Soap works the 5 days and 1 is a bank holiday he is actually getting paid for 7 days but worked 5 (5 days normal + 8 hours on bank holiday x 2)

Gardai work the 5 days and gets paid for 6 (5 days + 8 hours x 1)
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    I work in a Centra part-time myself. Their definition of an emergency is a spill on aisle 4... :rolleyes:

With so much leave available, and the shift system, I'd say a garda could make it work for him and get a week off using only 2 or 3 days leave!

the most 'rest days' we get are 3 in a row so to take a week off we need to use 4 days compared to your 5 which is better but balances out by having to take 7 in some cases compared to your 5 (week of nights is 7 days in a row), the simple reality being we cant always simple book what syuits us as people rarely check with me before planning theur wedding, christening, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know what holidays firemen get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Paulzx

20 days annual leave. We're getting shafted.:(

Ouch. So does that work as taking 2 days leave to get off 1 15hr night shift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bloody hell......

Right, decision made, I'm goin for the Gardaí, not the fire service :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement