Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Oh My God - she's sooo fat"

Options
  • 04-05-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Prepare yourselves.. this is a rant..

I was just browsing through youtube and was listening to Alicia Keys new song. By chance, my page scrolled down to the comments and I was surprised to see two comments from two young 'you-tubers' commenting on how 'fat' she's gotten. So I decided I'd look up other female artists just to see if there were any similar remarks. The same was said about Christina Aguilera and Leona Lewis. I'm sure they are not the only ones who were mentioned.

I think this is disgraceful. I really don't believe that any of these women are over weight and I was just thinking how pretty Alicia Keys looks now that she's filled out her figure more. She's gorgeous and in no way fat.

Anyway the reason I'm ranting is because those comments weren't left by some bitter magazine columnist or a judge on one of those ridiculous beauty shows. Those comments were left by average, (I assume) young people. I remember watching Americas Next Top Model (because it had some entertaining elements to it) but after an episode that basically said size eights were eligiable to model plus sizes only, I've become very reluctant to support it. I'm a size eight and I sometimes feel like I am too fat. Usually this sort of thing would never bother me but lately it seems to be everywhere.

Calling Alicia Keys fat for Christ sake??!!! What the hell are we supposed to look like??????

Does anyone else think weight obsession has become dangerously rampant? Or am I just in a bad mood? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Maybe they meant "phat" but was spelling it wrong?:confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hahaha very funny :D Nah one of them said 'somebody needs to lose a little weight'! :eek::confused:

I think she's nice how she is and she doesn't look at all fat to me.

I think you need a gok. There is no way you could look fat at a size eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Remember an american size 8 is about a size 10-12 here

However i agree that it's crazy that they think they're fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Postings by average young people with a skewed sense of whats "fat" caused at least in part by these magazines and beauty shows you mentioned.

Why do you sometimes feel too fat as a size 8? If you feel like that then maybe these young people posting have the same opinions. Maybe they think Alicia Keyes is fat when they see all these twigs in the media.

Then of course there's the obvious girly jealousy :)

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I think you need a gok. There is no way you could look fat at a size eight.

What's a gok?? :confused:
    DCC160 wrote: »
    Oooh.. really?? Hmm.. well that changes it I suppose. Still though, plus size for a size 10 is crazy.
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    Postings by average young people with a skewed sense of whats "fat" caused at least in part by these magazines and beauty shows you mentioned.

Why do you sometimes feel too fat as a size 8? If you feel like that then maybe these young people posting have the same opinions. Maybe they think Alicia Keyes is fat when they see all these twigs in the media.

Then of course there's the obvious girly jealousy :)

I think I feel 'out of shape' rather than fat but I know that's just because I need to focus more on getting active! Maybe their comments were brought on by jealousy but I think that it's a dangerous message to be putting out there. Seems like lately the media is bombarded with weight issues and even when there is an article written about somebody who is not a size 0, the emphasis seems to be on how they love their 'curves'. Why should weight even be an issue?? Why can't a pretty woman not just be accepted as a pretty woman without her size being an issue?

Fair enough, I do have a negative view on the modelling industry anyway. Being a little thing myself, I find their height restrictions ridiculous. I mean we all know short people don't wear clothes! :rolleyes:

Grrrrrr....... Stupid image stereotypes! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Anyone see that article where Pippa O'Connor said she never thought shed be a model when she was younger because she was "a heifer" ie. A size 12.

I guess when you're insecure with your own body, you're gonna nitpick at other peoples bodies too. For example I think Kylie has awful thighs but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

its probably some of those really obese american kids that are calling her fat, nobody can see them behind their computer screen and it makes them feel better :p

i find it more disturbing that you say you feel fat at a size 8 :confused:

Ahhhh my post is haunting me!!

Okay I don't feel 'fat', I just wana tone up but that is not the same thing as I'm talking about here. (it's only because I trained in martial arts for 8 years and then danced for a year and now I'm doing nothing, so with me it is a fitness thing rather than a diet issue) I don't follow diets and am not into calorie counting at all!

I'm just pointing out how constant exposure to this sort of rubbish does make you feel a little paranoid! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

This really annoys me too. I see it more when watching videos of gymnasts on youtube. Some people in the gymnastics community can be really mean, and it's not uncommon for them to leave messages calling certain gymnasts fat, or, as the saying goes, "a beast." Recently, four American gymnasts had a photo spread in American Vogue, and one gym fan wondered why the editors didn't photo shopped their thighs because they looked so fat. Fans will post videos of larger, unknown gymnasts just to mock them for their weight. It's really mean and catty. And I think it's completely silly because gymnasts train so many hours, and the top ranked gymnasts really can't be fat, otherwise they couldn't do the sport at the elite level.
    I do think it comes down to people just feeling insecure about themselves and taking that insecurity out on others. Whenever I have a mean or catty thought, it's usually because I'm feeling insecure about myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

In fairness, youtube comments are generally nonsense, anyway regardless of what they are talking about. Even by internet standards, the people posting on youtube are generally very stupid.

This reminds of one time seeing two women's magazines side by side - one had a picture of a famous celebrity (maybe Britney...can't remember) and saying she had put on weight (she looked same as normal to me) and the other magazine also had a picture of her but said she had gotten too skinny. Thought it was funny. Seems to me like 90% of covers of girly magazines have hot women who apparently have gained/lost too much weight lately...do people find it interesting or does it just make the readers feel better about themselves.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm more worried about those weirdos that keep posting spam messages about dead girls on youtube, but anyway, on-topic her weight seems to be all on her hips so maybe that's people think she looks fatter? (I think she's hot, just for the record)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/2452859597_f200b31cb8_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/2452859695_4e806911ff_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You have never watched "How to look good naked?" Mizz?
    Gok Wan is its presenter, his is on a mission to give women with self esteem issues some perspective on their looks.
    ShaneU wrote: »
    I'm more worried about those weirdos that keep posting spam messages about dead girls on youtube, but anyway, on-topic her weight seems to be all on her hips so maybe that's people think she looks fatter? (I think she's hot, just for the record)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/2452859597_f200b31cb8_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/2452859695_4e806911ff_o.jpg

Americans like booty.
    This one is famous purely for her butt implants.
    http://www.celebritycowboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/kim-kardashian-huge_butt_blue2.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Look at this Kanye West video. The model has skyscraper-height legs and a fabulous bum and cleavage. But her stomach is a bit on the wobbly side, so for that "crime" a number of YouTube posters are referring to her as fat (yes indeed, there is an absolutely mind-boggling level of dumbness among YouTube posters, but still, the fact that they say it at all...) That's what I find problematic - rather than a focus on the overwhelming positives, there is, instead, such a focus on the tiny negatives.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEccxPPwXmI

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Moonbaby wrote: »
    You have never watched "How to look good naked?" Mizz?
    Gok Wan is its presenter, his is on a mission to give women with self esteem issues some perspective on their looks.

Americans like booty.
    This one is famous purely for her butt implants.
    http://www.celebritycowboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/kim-kardashian-huge_butt_blue2.JPG

That looks weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i remember, in teh depths of my eating disorder, seeing a poster of christina aguilera in hmv, and thinking she had a big belly! image distortion is a crazy crazy thing, and something i've seen time and time again, in myself, and a lot of people i used to know.

the youtube comments dont surprise me in the least, but man, the pictures someone posted there of alicia (was it her?), she looks absolutely fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What all those singer have in common is they were very yougn when they first came into public view and they were but girls; now they have matured into fertile women and guess what they do have extra fat deposits but they are ment to be there.

There is a difference between the the slender figure of a girl and the mature figure of a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dudess wrote: »
    Look at this Kanye West video. The model has skyscraper-height legs and a fabulous bum and cleavage. But her stomach is a bit on the wobbly side, so for that "crime" a number of YouTube posters are referring to her as fat (yes indeed, there is an absolutely mind-boggling level of dumbness among YouTube posters, but still, the fact that they say it at all...)

To go a step further, I find it odd that you describe her stomach as 'a bit on the wobbly side' at all.

When I look at that woman I see a curvy figure with great tits and a pair of knickers that's a size too small so it's biting into her skin, whereas if it fit properly it woudln't be squeezing her stomach upwards when she bends over.

i remember, in teh depths of my eating disorder, seeing a poster of christina aguilera in hmv, and thinking she had a big belly! image distortion is a crazy crazy thing, and something i've seen time and time again, in myself, and a lot of people i used to know.
    Yep, been there myself. I look at pics of the people whom I thought were fat when I was 15 and it just shocks me - the stomach was always my main focus since that was my own area that got me down. I suppose I still have that slight tendency MAJD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

the girl in that flashing lights video is perfect!not a pick to much on her, if we all could only look that good....

i must be obese if she's fat..

Agreed. She has an absolutely remarkable bod.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

DCC160 wrote: »

However i agree that it's crazy that they think they're fat

Hardly plus sizes though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

It's everywhere though. I was out lastnight and I felt like a heiffer with all the skinny girls walking around and I'm a size 10! I remember 10 years ago being a size 10 was skinny, now it's practically obese! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, think how us taller, curvier girls feel out with you size 10 feckers :D

Everyone has their own ideal size.
    I don't see what there is to be proud about being a tiny size if you have no shape whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ignore ANY comments you see on YouTube...And on most other places where people are given an outlet to voice their opinion while being protected by the Internet.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Firstly most posters on You Tube or Gossip sites are of the moronic insecure variety, sitting in front of their computers trying to make themselves feel better by posting as many negative comments as possible. Just bitchiness with a very easy outlet and no immediate repracussions

Has anyone noticed how in the last few years women have been generally vilified in the media to a degree that you just don’t see with their male counterparts? Britney springs to mind – absolutely hounded. Unfortunately women are probably more guilty of dishing out the criticism than the guys out there, very reluctant to forgive a girl who makes a few mistakes. Sometimes I’ll shock myself reading those things. I can have my shallow moments but jeez unbelievable how shallow some people can be :mad:

Just think that as a young woman it’s very hard to meet the approval of other girls and that basically is what the weight thing is…IMO if you live your life comparing yourself to others or trying to live on terms dictated by the media then it’s a slippery slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Obviously you don't frequent YouTube much. About 30% of comments are based around hatred. It's not genuine hatred mind, just deliberately provocative comments to get a rise out of people....look at any video with black people and you're almost guaranteed to see 'Go back to the cotton fields' or something similar. :D

Basically, it'd be silly to take Youtube as indicative of a social trend, because people just post absolute crap there, in the very way that Sabre highlighted - protected by the internet. It doesn't reflect accurate opinion. I post rubbish there all the time just to irk people, even if it directly contradicts my actual belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Clare Bear wrote: »
    It's everywhere though. I was out lastnight and I felt like a heiffer with all the skinny girls walking around and I'm a size 10! I remember 10 years ago being a size 10 was skinny, now it's practically obese! :(
    No, in reality it's skinnier than ever when you consider the global trends towards obesity. However, the greatest irony is that while the general publics ar5es are getting fatter; the celebs are getting skinnier so we have a completely distorted body image.

Girls, me included, obsess about the smallest things - less than perfect belly, arms not toned, big thighs or whatever so if you're a size 10 or 12 you feel like a monster because all the A-Z list celebs are emaciated.

Advertisement