Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to look?

Options
  • 04-05-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey guys,

I am a little bit new on the scene. Although I'm not looking for a serious relationship or anything, i am just not into flings or one-night-stands, which guys I've met think is surprising because I'm "only a boy" (at 24!).

Suppose I'm just looking for friendship with the possibility of more?? I've been to the main bar in Dublin, but i think that is just a "cruising" place. Not sure what cruising is but i don't think it's looking for friends!! That said, where do i look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

LGB societies in college, LGB groups who meet up regularly, LGB events like pride and pink training, websites such as www.gaire.com

I know it's hard to find LGB folk on the premise of just being friends. It's often presumed that if you're trying to make friends with anyone on the scene, you're just in it for the ride (so to speak)

I find clubs and societies are the best way to get to know people on a friendly basis.

I presume you're based in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 NatDonegal

Nope, I am from the hills of Donegal and currently stuck on top of one! ... Although I find myself in Dublin often enough.

Hmmm I'd rather meet friends in person - I'm not really an online kinda guy. Are you sure there isn't at least one non-sleazy pub out there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

Well if you were to come down from your hill there is always Eden which is on in Sligo every month.....I'm not sure if it is sleazy, perhaps I am of the sleaze variety and immune to it at this stage.

North West Pride is currently being organised, bit of a trek down for meetings and such.......

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4068956087
    http://www.outwestireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

NatDonegal wrote: »
    Hmmm I'd rather meet friends in person - I'm not really an online kinda guy. Are you sure there isn't at least one non-sleazy pub out there??
    The Dragon is probably the least sleazy joint. And I heard something about speed-dating there one night a few weeks back...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Marshy wrote: »
    The Dragon is probably the least sleazy joint. And I heard something about speed-dating there one night a few weeks back...

Ugh, that's my least favourite bar, bunch of posers eyeing each other up. I feel like a piece of meat on display whenever I walk in there, I don't like it at all!

I love the G, I find it to be great fun! :D

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »
    Ugh, that's my least favourite bar, bunch of posers eyeing each other up. I feel like a piece of meat on display whenever I walk in there, I don't like it at all!

I love the G, I find it to be great fun! :D
    Yeah I'd agree, it can be great fun. Wouldn't be mad about everyone who goes there though.

I've rarely been to the D on a weekend so I don't really know what its like then. But its pleasant enough for the odd cocktail during the week.

Yeah I'd agree, it can be great fun. Wouldn't be mad about everyone who goes there though.

I've rarely been to the D on a weekend so I don't really know what its like then. But its pleasant enough for the odd cocktail during the week.

Aye, I'd agree with the mid week cocktails alright, its quieter then, more relaxed. ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Hey guys,

I am a little bit new on the scene. Although I'm not looking for a serious relationship or anything, i am just not into flings or one-night-stands, which guys I've met think is surprising because I'm "only a boy" (at 24!).

Suppose I'm just looking for friendship with the possibility of more?? I've been to the main bar in Dublin, but i think that is just a "cruising" place. Not sure what cruising is but i don't think it's looking for friends!! That said, where do i look?

No such place exists! Well not in Ireland anyway… From my experience there all meat markets, so if it’s friendship you’re looking for, try going on line and finding like minded guys or groups!

Ireland’s still to small and provincial for it to cater for friendships in gay bars! Such is life. Best of luck im sure there are plenty of mates out there for you.:D

Cruising is what you think it is ......its guys looking for sex! You can’t be that much of a boy?!:confused:

DubArk wrote: »
    You can’t be that much of a boy?!:confused:

Well I stayed clear of the gay scene for so long because I don't buy into gay culture... it did not and still does not appeal to me. Maybe that's because of the country upbringing i had, old fashioned and uncorrupted!

I am at an age where i would like to go out and chat and have a laugh with other gay guys, maybe seeing a few, so that in future i know what kind of guy to look for as a partner... It's so depressing to have realized that he may not exist!!

Ok folks, speed-dating sounds like loadsa craic, I have never done it but I would love to... where would I find out if this is happening again?

But would i be right to think that the "cruisers" would avoid such an event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well I stayed clear of the gay scene for so long because I don't buy into gay culture... !!

the thing is "gay culture" is diverse - there are many gay guys that are not steretypically effeminate

You're in Donegal right? What about going to the Gay Bar in Derry or the new one in Strabane? -

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/SC/free/291211584738217.php

http://www.pepesangels.com/index.html

Also Letterkenny IT has an LGBT society - while you are not a student some LGBT societies don't mind that too much

Also bebo has a queer donegal group http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=2970146798&ShowSims=Y

What about sports? There are hiking groups in Belfast and Dublin and various other types of groups too

http://www.gay-hiking.org/

http://www.outnabout-ni.org.uk/

What about Outwest

http://www.outwestireland.ie/

Sligo Pride might be a good event to attend

http://www.nwprideireland.com/next.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok folks, speed-dating sounds like loadsa craic, I have never done it but I would love to... where would I find out if this is happening again?

But would i be right to think that the "cruisers" would avoid such an event?
    Not sure if its on there on a regular based. I'm sure it'd be advertised in magazines etc.

You'll soon find out that these kinds of people will stop at nothing to get some action...

Well I stayed clear of the gay scene for so long because I don't buy into gay culture... it did not and still does not appeal to me. Maybe that's because of the country upbringing i had, old fashioned and uncorrupted!

*grin*

You'd want to be careful the terms you use, someone might take offence ;)

I'd agree that you're old fashioned though, just because other people may have different views to your own and don't have the same hangups about sex, doesn't mean they're immoral or corrupt ;)

Maybe that's because of the country upbringing i had, old fashioned and uncorrupted!

I do agree the word uncorrupted is a little over the top!! Each to their own my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pablot

Hey OP,
    Just want to say thanks for putting that out there. Its a question i have been meaning to ask for a while now.

I moved to Dublin not so long ago and wouldnt mind making a few friends on the scene as well.

Sincere apologies guys, no offense intended with the use of the word 'uncorrupted'... I was merely trying to convey a sense of the innocent life i have led in the rural area of Donegal!!!

Let me tell you something about Derry... I can't go back there... wild horses could not drag me back to that bar!

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Let me tell you something about Derry... I can't go back there... wild horses could not drag me back to that bar!

why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    why?

It's a small bar... bad thing since i want to avoid a couple of the regulars there... i wouldn't mind but they take no heed to my less than subtle 'hints' that i couldn't be less interested...

It's a small bar... bad thing since i want to avoid a couple of the regulars there... i wouldn't mind but they take no heed to my less than subtle 'hints' that i couldn't be less interested...

My God that takes me back to the days I was younger and well in the closet…:o
    This was when "The George" was just the front bar and "The Loft" was upstairs consisting of small chrome mushroom seats and red and blue plastic rim lighting. Eighties or what... It was so small that you couldn’t swing a mouse in it. But as you stated guys would come on to you and if you weren’t interested and tried to be a polite in your rebuff, they still wouldn’t take a bloody hint.
    This one guy, who looked like Peter Sutcliffe, “The Yorkshire Ripper”, every time I’d go in he’d just hassle me over and over. I’d leave early as I would have to get the last bus home, home been a small town in North County Dublin. One morning I woke up in my parents house looked out the window and who was sitting in his car on the other side of the road but this guy. I nearly died!:eek::eek::eek:

Sitting there in his red and black mini, with his long skinny bearded face peering out his car window……….. Jayus im laughing now but at the time I was so scared of him!! The creep followed me home the night before in his car. I was shi**ing myself and he stayed hanging around my house on and off for a fortnight. Following me when I was out walking, going to the shops etc… I solved the problem by talking to a few guys in the George one night, who seemed as if they were a good bunch of mates and they were much older and wised then me, they took him aside and had a gentle word with him and that was the end of problem. They were scary days when you first went on the scene, well back then anyway it probably has changed a lot from my youth. I never go near the places now or really since as I met my partner soon afterwards and were together 23 yrs later... he never did the scene.

I’d hate to go through all that now!! :D

Good lord, I've never experienced anything like that going to the George these passed 5 years lol! eek, that'd freak me out, but I think I'd just report the guy to the guards, that or run at him with a hammer and a crazy look in my eye ;)

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »
    Good lord, I've never experienced anything like that going to the George these passed 5 years lol! eek, that'd freak me out, but I think I'd just report the guy to the guards, that or run at him with a hammer and a crazy look in my eye ;)

Well back in the 80's the Garda would of arrested me and probably kicked seven shades of sh*te out of me too or maybe not but I was too young to even speak to a friend/family of what was happening, looking back we were so vulnerable to any sort of pray or attack. Glad its 2008!! :D

Oooooh yeah... couldn't report something like that in the 80s... jeez its 2008 now but some key people around these small towns up here still have small-town minds...

My problem is less dramatic than yours DubArk - I just want to puke at the thought of going back there with those two sleazy old farts pervving away. One of them took a picture of me on his phone. He told me he deleted it but he refused to let me check.... Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeww!

Advertisement