Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU as new world leader?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    We should become totally indepeneant. We should build thousands of wind and sea turbines and also build nuclear power stations. Also build our own electric car and power it ourselves. Same goes for food. Our aim should be 100% independent. At present our aim is to be 0% independent.
    Some reccomended reading for Kev.
    ixtlan wrote: »
    Let's be practical, the EU is never going to become a military super-power.
    I'm not sure why anyone feels we should aspire to be one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Just to clarify myself, I don't have aspirations for the EU to be a military super-power, and I don't think it will happen.

However, at the same time I don't have a problem with the EU battlegroups concept, which it should be pointed out is something the UN would like to see in operation (Kofi Annan said this but sorry I don't have a link). This is because the UN has no standing army and it takes too long to mobilise forces at present.

This kind of military operation is a far cry from being a super-power, and of course I have to repeat again that Ireland does not have to send any troops anywhere on any live operation without a UN mandate and a Dail vote.

I'll add as an aside that while I am not supporting any foreign military adventures, I find it apalling that we surrendered all our military policy to the UN (not the EU). We are probably the only country in the world that cannot send our military where we choose. I'll give an example... suppose some minister was visiting some country in Africa and was kidnapped. Suppose we got intelligence that they were in some compound about to be killed, and there were Irish troops over the border on peace-keeping. Can we send them in to try a rescue? Nope... we would have to get a UN security council mandate. Quite ridiculous. I'm not saying this would ever happen but to tie our hands like this is amazing, especially when it was to appease people who believed that the EU would control military policy. Now in effect our military activities are controlled by Britain, France, China, Russia and the US.

Ix.

Advertisement