Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not directly related...

Options
  • 04-05-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

But this is the closest forum I could find here for my question.

I am flying to Ireland for a few months this week (From my country, Israel) to work in Galway.. I wanted to ask a little bit about the city. Is it interesting? Does it have places to go to, and places to hang out (night clubs, pubs, etc.)? Or maybe it's just a hole in the middle of nowhere?...

Jonathan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

ahbarfilez wrote: »
    Is it interesting? Does it have places to go to,
    There's 'the field', that's always a popular spot.

It's basically just a field, but as fields go....it's pretty good.

Do Israelis use the term hole of a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ahbarfilez

no, a 'hole' means a boring place with no attractions or fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Galway forum FTW. Isn't that right Biko?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do Israelis use the term hole of a place?

Ah don't be mean! There's a few nice pubs there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Surely you should have researched this before you left Israel? We have our own little west bank known as Leitrim, a hole of a place.

Oh, I didn't decide where to go to... it's my employer who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

togster wrote: »
    Surely you should have researched this before you left Israel? We have our own little west bank known as Leitrim, a hole of a place.
    Ah that's not really a fair comparison. There are better GAA teams and less cannibalism in the West Bank.

WTF? how is the west bank related to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,092 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if we told you youd only get your expectations up and be sorely disappointed when you got there.

Why not go somewhere nice like Brughe

You're after posting in the humour based forum.

try region > west > galway I would say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Xavi6 wrote: »

Exactly!
    Overheal wrote: »
    if we told you youd only get your expectations up and be sorely disappointed when you got there.

Why not go somewhere nice like Brughe

Do you mean Bruges? If so, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As much as it pains me to say it, but Galway is probably the nicest city in Ireland. It has considerably less litter and scumbags than most other cities and towns, and the traffic isn't the worst either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't take offence, it's meant humorously :) As an Irish person, I'd expect to get a few bombings-related jokes shoved in my direction if I posted on an Israeli forum...
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    LOL

Biko? Beeeeko?! Ah well, it's being moved now...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You might encounter some bongo drum players or possibly some fire eaters and jugglers...

I HATE THEM ALL SO MUCH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Galway is awesome, especially to spend a few months in during the summer. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either too uptight or too bitter from spending too much time in whatever other part of the country they're in :pac:

/swift exit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Watch out for the giant monkeys and octobadgers.

You might encounter some bongo drum players or possibly some fire eaters and jugglers...

Even if they were juggling monkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Crustie jugglers are annoying but I'd take them over hordes of wandering tracksuits any day. The scumbag ratio in Galway is shockingly low compared to Limerick, Cork and Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thread merge required. \o/

Yeah OP, Galway's great. Brilliant atmosphere. Young, fun city. Very small but near beautiful countryside and the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

cornbb wrote: »
    The scumbag ration in Galway is shockingly low compared to Limerick, Cork and Dublin.
    Thank God, long may that continue!

The scumbag ratio in Cork seems to be much lower than Dublin or Limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

The scumbag ratio in Galway is shockingly low compared to Limerick, Cork and Dublin.
    Oi, don't be lumping us Corkonians in with the other two "problem child" cities! We don't have as much of a scumbag problem. Granted, Galway has the lowest scumbag proportion of any Irish city though.

OP, you'll enjoy Galway, great nightlife there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Crustie jugglers are annoying but I'd take them over hordes of wandering tracksuits any day. The scumbag ratio in Galway is shockingly low compared to Limerick, Cork and Dublin.

Have to say, I wouldn't say it's shockingly low. For a city of its size, I would say it has a hell of a lot of scumbags! Probably only slightly less than Cork when you take size into account.

Anyway, that doesn't matter. Galway is great. It took my awhile to get used to how small it is but I love it now. Loads of great pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Galway is a bit like Tel-Aviv only without the fantastic beach, stunningly beautiful women and sunny weather.... But for a short while its fine and you will find plenty to keep you amused.

Over making portable battery chargers by any chance?

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A Jewish girl I know came for the craic (fun) and now she is married here.

Advertisement