Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello :)

Options
  • 04-05-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am flying to Ireland for a few months this week (From my country, Israel) to work in Galway.. I wanted to ask a little bit about the city. Is it interesting? Does it have places to go to, and places to hang out (night clubs, pubs, etc.)? Or maybe it's just a hole in the middle of nowhere?...

Jonathan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

If you google Galway and then look at maps you will see that in fact it is not a hole and that its pretty big, no Jerusalem but great craic and clubs and people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ahbarfilez wrote: »
    I am flying to Ireland for a few months this week (From my country, Israel) to work in Galway.. I wanted to ask a little bit about the city. Is it interesting? Does it have places to go to, and places to hang out (night clubs, pubs, etc.)? Or maybe it's just a hole in the middle of nowhere?...

Jonathan.
    You won't get bored, the arts festival & the races. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

BE FOREWARNED:

The Irish west coast has a short winter that lasts about 2 months. For the remainder of the year, we soak up ten months of liquid sunshine. This is why we have such beautiful complexions.

Otherwise, Galway is laid back. There is mixture of many cultures. The best time to come here is July and August.

Public transport is poor and traffic is heavy at all times. Best to live near where you work.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

It's a great place as long as you don't feed the guinness-guzzling hobos. (who knows what they'd be like if they sobered up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

It's a uni town and tourist town, and apparently Ireland's 2nd biggest drinking destination after Dublin, so it has more pubs/nightclubs than one would expect from it's size. It's quite grand, though obviously going to be a lot colder and wetter than what you're used to.

Where are you from in Israel for that matter - if you're from like Tel Aviv, it'll be much less cosmopolitan than you're used to, but there's still plenty to keep you occupied. If you've been raised on a Kibbutz, you'll be grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ahbarfilez

Well, actually I'm from a town about the size of Galway, and it's pretty boring down here... So I was just afraid it's the same in Galway. Thank you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

ahbarfilez wrote: »
    Well, actually I'm from a town about the size of Galway, and it's pretty boring down here... So I was just afraid it's the same in Galway. Thank you anyway!

nowhere in this planet is the same as galway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Your coming over at the right time of the year, lots to see and do...you'll find Galway a friendly place (and people too). here's a few pictures, I always bring my camera with me as you never know what you'll see. Most of them are taken around the main street, Shop Street.
    DSC_2742.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

See if you can count the number of Free Palestine stickers we've plastered around town... :)

Advertisement