Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bart - Bus and Rail times program

Options
  • 04-05-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055285511

I've made a program that gets bus and rail times.

It's called Bart (Bus And Rail Times).
    With Bart you can get train time tables nationwide as well as real time Dart information.
    Bart can also get the departure times for the next 5 buses in both directions for a given route number.

Bart remembers the last information you entered so, for example if you always get the same dart, you can get the ETA for the next one with 3 clicks.

Bart works on any J2ME (java mobile edition) compatible mobile phone. Getting a timetable with Bart costs between 0.25c and 2c depending on your network and configuration.
    If you have a data package it costs nothing.

I haven't tested the scripts with every bus or train route so if you find any bugs, report them and i'll get to fixing them

you can download it here:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/bart.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sweet all i have to do now is wait for sun to release java for the iphone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Or wait for Vimes to release a webbased version ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thanking you Vimes. Poor old Dal will be loosing lots of business now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

random wrote: »
    Or wait for Vimes to release a webbased version ;)

well whoever wants can do it. here are the urls it uses:

example for standard train times:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/rail.php?to=Connolly&from=Maynooth&date=05-05-2008&fromtime=10-00&totime=23-59

real time dart info:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/rail2.php?from=Connolly&dir=N

buses
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/bus.php?route=40&day=6&time=1600

the day number is the day of the week. 6=saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Found a bug.

Routes such as the 102 have intermediate stops. This results in no times being returned.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Found a bug.

Routes such as the 102 have intermediate stops. This results in no times being returned.

right so. will get to work on that. thanks for reporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Unreal - this will come in so handy !! Thanks so much for another great app.You should seriously think about selling it to Iranreod Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Great app Vimes.. thanks a million.
    Quick suggestion: A day selection in the bus times part would be great so you can find out the buses for the next morning etc..

• Advertisement

mathew wrote: »
    Great app Vimes.. thanks a million.
    Quick suggestion: A day selection in the bus times part would be great so you can find out the buses for the next morning etc..

yeah you're right that would be good. the script is already set up to do that so it'd just be a matter of adding the option to the page. at the moment it defaults to the current day

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

There appears to be an error in the data pulled from Dublin Bus. I checked for bus 48A and noted that I was getting different times to those on the Dublin bus website for today. I have since noticed that it was returning the times for Sunday and public holidays rather than Tuesday. (I have checked the date/time on my phone and they are correct, so I am guessing that the issue lies within the application?

Must be. I'll take a look this evening and see what the problem is

i've hopefully fixed this now. that was a lot more complicated than i thought it'd be :D
    Ziboo wrote: »
    There appears to be an error in the data pulled from Dublin Bus. I checked for bus 48A and noted that I was getting different times to those on the Dublin bus website for today. I have since noticed that it was returning the times for Sunday and public holidays rather than Tuesday. (I have checked the date/time on my phone and they are correct, so I am guessing that the issue lies within the application?

that's quite odd because i just tried it there and it returned the proper info. try this and see what you get back:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/bus.php?route=48a&time=1200&day=6

change around the time and the day (1-7=mon to sun). as far as i can see it's giving the right details :confused:

edit:it appears the the phone itself isn't getting the right day. i'll work on it

found and fixed the problem. the day should be sent correctly if you download the program again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Nice program.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

Thanks for the fix. the day issue has been rectified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I have java on my phone but I just get a lot of code and stuff when I get the results. Does anyone know if the se k610i doesn't have the right java for this?

I have java on my phone but I just get a lot of code and stuff when I get the results. Does anyone know if the se k610i doesn't have the right java for this?

i saw that happen on a k810i too. Must be something to do with how the phones handle web pages. Tell me, if you scroll down can you see the information that you're meant to see below all the code?

by the way, anyone who downloaded it before i fixed that day issue should get the new one because otherwise you'll always get sundays bus results

Nice program.
    thank you very much :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

just to let you know sam all the X routes still aren't working, still coming back with no results as are the nitelinks.

just to let you know sam all the X routes still aren't working, still coming back with no results as are the nitelinks.

right so. as you can tell, i didn't go through every bus route and find out how they're presented :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Cool app, thanks.
    Can you save a jar file locally instead of it opening straight away after download BTW.

What would be really cool would be if you could find dublin bus routes by inputting start/destination.

Also these times are always up to date i take it?
    Thanks.

mkennedy wrote: »
    Cool app, thanks.
    Can you save a jar file locally instead of it opening straight away after download BTW.
    why do you want to do that? you can download it to your pc and copy it over to the phone

What would be really cool would be if you could find dublin bus routes by inputting start/destination.
    now that would be an awful lot more tricky. i'll see what I can do
    Also these times are always up to date i take it?
    Thanks.

they're taken directly off the various websites so they're as up to date as the websites are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    why do you want to do that? you can download it to your pc and copy it over to the phone now that would be an awful lot more tricky. i'll see what I can do they're taken directly off the various websites so they're as up to date as the websites are

OK Thanks.
    I just wanted to save it somewhere in case i did a hard reset.

I must say though just from first impressions it seems slick for a homemade app.

There aren't too many travel apps like it for the irish market so it should come in handy.
    I love the alphabetized list of train stations- didn't notice that at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

if this information never really changes, would it be better to hardcode such information?

it would increase the jar size but text compresses really well :)

if this information never really changes, would it be better to hardcode such information?

it would increase the jar size but text compresses really well :)

well there's two things there. firstly, the information does change sometimes and secondly, i don't want to go through the time table for every bus in the city and add them to the jar :D

can you tell me a few routes that have x varieties. i want to make sure i have them all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

here ya go, there all here

Xpresso routes:

15x - 25x - 27x - 32x - 33x - 37x - 39x - 41x - 46x - 49x - 50x - 51d - 51x - 58x - 65x - 66x - 67x - 68x - 69x - 70b - 70x - 77x - 79x - 84x

• Advertisement

here ya go, there all here

Xpresso routes:

15x - 25x - 27x - 32x - 33x - 37x - 39x - 41x - 46x - 49x - 50x - 51d - 51x - 58x - 65x - 66x - 67x - 68x - 69x - 70b - 70x - 77x - 79x - 84x

danke very much

Advertisement