Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on On Campus Accom and Commuting

• 04-05-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hey there, Sorry for the dumb questions...

I'm heading to Maynooth in September (after 2 years of tying to get in yay) and was wondering how the On campus accom is? is there internet access? what are the facilities like?

Also, I have the option of Living in Mullingar and commuting to maynooth. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or if it is not possible.

regards,
    Leman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

hey!
    Well done! i am in the river apts and its quite good although sometimes it shuts down for a evening and wont work again till the next day. its a plug in the wall thing in the bedroom but i think it the village its all wireless.
    two of my friends are from mullingar, one commutes on the train and the other one lives up here. so yeah it is possible, personal preference really?
    there is another tread on campus accom further down i think but yeah its handy so close, but your housemates can make a big difference!
    good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

First off, congrats on getting in.

On campus accomodation i on the Nroth Campus and is less than 5 mins walk from the main lecture buildings. There are several different blocks with slightly different prices:

Village Apartments: 4 blocks of 12 apartments on 3 floors. Each apartment has 5 single bedrooms and 2 bathrooms as well as a decent kitchen/living room. When I was there there was no net and I don't think that's changed. Washing facilities are hit and miss as when I was there there was only one washing machine and one dryer to a block.

Rye Hall: Wasn't in these much. Aprtments were up to 7 bedrooms but 5 was the norm. There were 2 bathrooms per apartment and a living room/dining room. There was net access available here.

River Apartments: These are the most recently built and are 5 or 6 bedrooms with some twin rooms. Net access and ensuites are standard here.

About the commuting: If you are happy to just go to lectures and then go home then commuting may suit you. Coming from Mullingar for 9am you have trains at 6.48 and 7.26 and there are also a few other trains during the day. Bear in mind that the last train home from Maynooth is the 7.35.

Personally I decided not to commute when I came to college. I wanted the option of going to Bar-ex's, getting involved in societies, going to the Roost with friends and classmates. For me it was the first opportunity to be away from home and I loved the freedom of not having to make a bus/train to get home.

At the end of the day it depends what you want out of college and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

Advertisement