Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Keep A Failing Line From An Open Exchange?

Options
  • 04-05-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I had a new landline installed a few weeks ago solely for the purpose of broadband and although I was confident it would be fine because my neighbours coming off the same telegraph pole and my local exchange have broadband it failed the test. Eircom told me to give it a few days but it just kept failing. They then told me that the line will be upgraded eventually but they have no idea when. I'm now tied into an Irish Broadband contract for twelve months and I'll try testing the line again when it expires. Since I don't use the line I'd like to get it disconnected but not if that means they won't upgrade it because it won't be active. It might seem obvious that they won't upgrade a line that's not in use but I really don't know whether that will make a difference and since I'm paying pointless line rental I have to ask, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did you tell them the line was in order to obtain broadband when you ordered it ? They may have you on a split line if you didn't. It's a way of getting 2 voice lines from a single pair of copper wires but is unsuitable for broadband and even dialup will be slow at about 19,200 baud.

Just a thought.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

my line sux, 64kbit upload and 3mbit download, have contemplated just hooking up the ESB to the phoneline and frying the whole thing lmao, that would be a laugh and sooooo much satisfaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

OP, since they have no plans to upgrade your line to broadband capability and you don't use it for calls, I can't see the point in paying line rental for it simply in the hope that one day they might decide to upgrade it. Of course from Eircom's point of view it is great that you are paying line rental for a substandard line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

LA3G wrote: »
    I had a new landline installed a few weeks ago solely for the purpose of broadband and although I was confident it would be fine because my neighbours coming off the same telegraph pole and my local exchange have broadband it failed the test. Eircom told me to give it a few days but it just kept failing. They then told me that the line will be upgraded eventually but they have no idea when. I'm now tied into an Irish Broadband contract for twelve months and I'll try testing the line again when it expires. Since I don't use the line I'd like to get it disconnected but not if that means they won't upgrade it because it won't be active. It might seem obvious that they won't upgrade a line that's not in use but I really don't know whether that will make a difference and since I'm paying pointless line rental I have to ask, what do you think?

With the upgrade in June to ADSL+2 your line might pass then. That's the only upgrade i can of that eircom might do to your line. If they told you that it might pass once it has been upgraded them i doubt it is a pairgain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ADSL+2 makes good lines or lines less than 1km much faster. But not much effect on poor lines or beyond 1km.

ADSL is a shallow curve of speed vs distance. ADSL+2 is a steeper curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

NTL/UPC weren't covering my area either when I had broadband installed and to be honest I'd only be really happy signing up with them if they introduced a no caps service. I really want the line for Eircom's business package - they have one the same price as the home package and the only difference is it has no caps.
    ZENER wrote: »
    Did you tell them the line was in order to obtain broadband when you ordered it ? They may have you on a split line if you didn't. It's a way of getting 2 voice lines from a single pair of copper wires but is unsuitable for broadband and even dialup will be slow at about 19,200 baud.

Yes and I watched the technician install it from my flat out to the a box at the main front door and then to the telegraph pole on the road. I don't know if that's relevant or means it's a split line or not. When I spoke with the girl on the phone and the technician I didn't get the impression there was any different installation type for a broadband line.
    SkepticOne wrote: »
    Of course from Eircom's point of view it is great that you are paying line rental for a substandard line.

I don't disagree it's just they said it would happen at some point and I don't want to be stuck thinking that I had it disconnected just before they were going to upgrade it. If only there was some way to find out when this is going to happen.
    admol wrote: »
    With the upgrade in June to ADSL+2 your line might pass then. That's the only upgrade i can of that eircom might do to your line. If they told you that it might pass once it has been upgraded them i doubt it is a pairgain.

Cool I hadn't heard of this upgrade. Maybe I'll keep it until July then. Are they rolling out this upgrade nationwide for all lines? What's a pairgain?

If you have a pairgain, your line would not work on BB, and likely be poor on Dialup. It's a way of sharing one pair of wires to exchange with several nearby users. It gennerally doesn't work with ISDN either.

A party line is before pair gain invented.

They never really know how good a line is till they install it. Other than not using a pair gain, there is no difference for an install for Broadband.

You can't know if your line is any better unless the exchange is upgraded. Generally it only much improves already good lines.

watty wrote: »
    You can't know if your line is any better unless the exchange is upgraded. Generally it only much improves already good lines.

Well the exchange does support broadband so you mean upgraded so that it doesn't have some of the lines on pairgain? Also is this the only reason my line would be failing the test, apart from a nice in the cable running to my phone jack? Is there a way I can check for pairgain now that the line is installed?

It's very frustrating that my neighbours who live below me in the same house have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ring up eircom, and kick and scream for a new line test to be carried out on your line. See what that does. You'll be told the reason for failing if the test is a failure. If it's because of a pairgain, then lodge a complaint with eircom and demand all of your money back.

If you asked for broadband on it when ordering, the engineer is meant to ask you permission to install a pairgain on your line if needed or else give you the option of cancelling the order. If you ring eircom and don't get anywhere, contact ComReg about this and outline to them what eircom have failed to do in their dealings with you. ComReg must act if there's an official complaint lodged with eircom.

Try dialup on your line. if it is better than 42K it's unlikely pairgain. If it's 19k or less on speed test then it likely is a pair gain.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Advertisement