Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help me..weedkiller problem

Options
  • 04-05-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I bought a path weedkiller today to use on stubborn weeds that are growing on the pathway around the house and some on the front parking area, I read the instructions and sprayed these weeds carefully making sure I moved any pots or baskets nearby as I know how easily the killer can spread. The weedkiller was esp for paths only.
    When I sitting out the back on the phone, my husband was bored and he decided to do the weedkilling(he didnt check if I had had already done it!) and he did all those areas and then decided to do the weeds in our front lawn, there are only a few, but 3 of them slap bang in the middle of the lawn, which I was planning to remove by hand..however he has sprayed them. I was really mad when he told me, (he didnt bother to read the instructions) and now i am worried my front lawn has been ruined!! is there anyway to reverse the damage before the killer takes effect? I am afraid to hose it down with water in case it spreads the weedkiller. It is a very powerful one and will kill everything green around it whats worse is that it will stop anything germinating in that area up to 12 months. I was absolutely horrified when I found out what he did as it took me ages to get our lawn the way it is (w had major drainage problems and I had to dig in loads of sharp sand) and now we will have burnt out patches probably a lot bigger then he has told me (as Iwas so mad) as he can be a bit heavy handed.
    would really appreciate some help with this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Washing area will reduce impact, but depending on which weedkiller used eg herbicides such as Roundup biodegrade on impact with soil. Best to wait 7-10 days, and damge will be obvious. To repair remove top layer of grass and soil (approx 50mm/2") and topdress with new soil and reseed.

Alternatively you could wash, remove and scrape/scratch existing surface and then reseed. But this method would be 'a bit hit and miss'.

I'd prefer the other option. You can buy small bags of topsoil in DIY/Garden centres, about € 6/€7 each which would be ideal for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I would suggest digging up the area where the weedkiller was sprayed, place husband in the hole and covering. In time, the lawn should be good as new. :D

Sorry, but my God, I know the feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

That really made me laugh! :D that was exactly how I was feeling last monday!! I have been in hospital for a few days, so he has made up for it since by lookng after me very well. Today I got out though and I can see all the burnt circles beginning to decorate the lawn!! may try your tip yet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

maggie797 wrote: »
    That really made me laugh! :D that was exactly how I was feeling last monday!! I have been in hospital for a few days, so he has made up for it since by lookng after me very well. Today I got out though and I can see all the burnt circles beginning to decorate the lawn!! may try your tip yet:D

Hope your well Maggie, close call for The Lawn Destroyer though!

I actually thought of your thread today. I have a very water sodden area of my garden that I have dug up several times, added good soil etc., but its still just won't grow grass. So I'm going for the sand treatment now.

If anyone so much as walks across it with weedkiller, there will be trouble!

Advertisement