Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Global Interdependence

Options
  • 04-05-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I'm studying this option section by myself at the moment and just wondering what are the main things I should know from this section? I really need to work on this one because I wasn't happy with my mark out of 80 in the mocks. All help much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Why not do geoecology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Most people do Global Interdependence, don't they? Plus this is the one we did in class and I don't have the Geoecology book.

Why? Is it easier or something?

MaltEagle wrote: »
    Most people do Global Interdependence, don't they? Plus this is the one we did in class and I don't have the Geocology book.

Why? Is it easier or something?

No, 80% of students do the geoecology option. Hardly anybody does the global interdependence option because its difficult to develop 3 or 4 aspects for a question.

Geoecology is way easier.

That's a pity because I'm taking notes on the Global Interdepence book. What's Geoecology about then?

Your Field Trip done and dusted? You happy with it? What you looking for grade-wise in Geography?

Basically you just learn about a distincitve climate. eg. distribution/location, animals and plants. This is called a biome. Im doing the hot desert. Some people do soils but you dont have to because at least 1 question must be on the biome.

Oh god no Im only in 5th year lol! Yah my teacher who is an advising examiner in the subject will be doing it with us next year and the way he was talking about about it , it's a simple 20%.

• Advertisement

Oh ok, yeah it is good fun alright, and my one is top standard I think!

You need to focus on choices which people take which effect others. (inter-dependence)

Main points - Kyoto Protocol, why, who, when, how and what..

Global Warming/Greenhouse Effect - effects, who it effects, factors which cause it, ways to combat it. (separately from Kyoto Treaty).

Include things such as Deforestation in Rainforests resulting in Ozone holes over Greenland, etc..

Very very easy essays to be honest, topical and interesting.

Thanks very much Emmett, yeah I find it very interesting myself as it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I do Global Interdepence too, and I think it's pretty easy and very topical. The Big 3 of Global Warming, Deforestation and Desertification is the main part of the book and they either 3 of them have been asked both of the last two years. They also came up on my mock. But I wouldn't just study those if I were you, one or all of them have a good chance of coming up again this year but conisdering they've been on two years now they might try to change it.

My class is only doing 4 sections which is even worrying me a little bit, we're doing the Big 3(Global Warming, Deforestation and Desertification), the Sustainable Use of Resources(Kyoto Protocol, Managed use of forests and Fishing) and then also Aid and Fair Trade.

Hopefully those 4 areas will be enough. All are fairly topical so one of them definitely should appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

JSK 252 wrote: »
    it's a simple 20%.

Its actually 16%
    project 100mrks
    SQ 80mrks
    3 LQ 80mrks each
    500 mrks

Soils is very easy: learn of 5 essays at least two have to come up
    But with global interdependance there's massive overlap with the economic elective.

• Advertisement

Its actually 16%
    project 100mrks
    SQ 80mrks
    3 LQ 80mrks each
    500 mrks

Soils is very easy: learn of 5 essays at least two have to come up
    But with global interdependance there's massive overlap with the economic elective.

And whats 100 out of 500? You do the math and its actually 4 long questions. ( physical, regional, elective and option )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

And whats 100 out of 500? You do the math and its actually 4 long questions. ( physical, regional, elective and option )

80/500 x 100 = 16%...

80/500 x 100 = 16%...

Who the hell is talking about 80 marks? Im talking about the GI which is worth 100 marks out of 500 which is 20%.

Who the hell is talking about 80 marks? Im talking about the GI which is worth 100 marks out of 500 which is 20%.

Ah, I see. You were talking about geoecology and then started answering a different question. I got confused. :o

Ah, I see. You were talking about geoecology and then started answering a different question. I got confused. :o

Not a bother.;) What do you think about the subject yourself cokehead? What do you hope to get in it? We have finished the course except for the non-european region and are getting a full higher level geography paper for the summer test which is a balls.

Not a bother.;) What do you think about the subject yourself cokehead? What do you hope to get in it? We have finished the course except for the non-european region and are getting a full higher level geography paper for the summer test which is a balls.

It's... okay, I guess. Hoping for a B1+. I think I'll manage it if I'm not pissed off on the day. It's right after Maths Paper 1 though so I should be in a pretty good mood and ready to talk shíte about soil.

Advertisement