Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thank you Dion Dublin

• 04-05-2008 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

The man is a legend. All the times I've met him and he's a true gent. A model professional and great with the youngsters at all the clubs that he has been at. Started off with Norwich some 20 years ago and today he ended his career at the club he started off with. At 39 years old he still runs around the pitch like an 18 year old.

The man will be missed - A LEGEND.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember years ago watching him for Coventry wondering, "Why doesn't this guy play for a bigger team?" He was a class player and a model pr through and through. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Didnt he have a stint at Man U?

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

GBX wrote: »
    Didnt he have a stint at Man U?

Fair play to him.

Yep. Signed for £1M from Cambridge Utd. in '92. Scored the winner against So'ton in his first game for the Utd but then sadly broke his leg a week later. He came back and played a few games and he was brilliant. He couldn't force a regular team place and left for Coventry then in '96 or maybe it was earlier, I can't remember that part!

But yeah, great professional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

In his first 3 games for Villa he scored 7 goals and even played for a while with a broken neck iirc... he was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does this thread mean that he has retired today given the season has just ended? Shame if so. I mean, there is no question that he did an effective job at all of the clubs he played for and he always struck me as an honest and hardworking type who was willing to do whatever job was required by the team.

On a side note, I always think it is somewhat disappointing when players who were in their prime when you were 12 - 17 retire (i.e. players who you watched with a critical mindset when you were growing up - I'm not sure how critically you can assess things before 12). Bit of a tangent I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

remember the goal he scroed against Newcastle when Shay Given mucked up? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I fondly remember Big Ron Atkinson describing Dion reaching for a ball with his 'telescopic leg'. Not a bad trick to have.

Always remember when he scored (think it was twice) in Utd's 3-2 home win over Oldham, taking us very close to the title and eventual first double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He was a FW and a CB, right?

Not many of them around (Can only think of Doherty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

SofaK wrote: »

Remember Paul Walhurst as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

he was good at both so stands out.

Fergie reckoned him and Cantona would have done Europe, have a program here from UTD with fergie procaliming Dublin as the final piece of his team.

Shame that ended could have been a UTD great.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I remember he got sent off for an incident with Robbie Savage and as he was going off he just stared into the camera and kept saying "he's a cheat, the man is a cheat". Brilliant stuff.

Culchie wrote: »
    Remember Paul Walhurst as well

Chris Sutton as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Chris Sutton is another one.

Phil Senderos used to be a striker... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kensutz wrote: »
    A model professional .

Did he not fracture a bone in his neck hedbutting another player a few years back?

Always seemed a usefull player all the same.

Never realised he was still playing till I heard somethign abotu him retiring a few weeks back.

As for playing different positions, he's no John O'Shea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Loved Dion Dublin, did Coventry fans ever forgive him for leaving for Villa? Hat Trick against Southampton in 98/99 when he joined in Feb and one of his first games was against Coventry and he scored! he had a great season (though Villa slipped to 6th), missed most of the FA Cup Final season but came back before the end.Gregory got Angel who essentially replacaed Dion.

His sending off a few years ago in a particularly ill tempered Brum derby was legendary, as was putting Shearer in his place!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Biggest cock in football.

FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah go to bed Al will ya :p Alcohol gets you banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah go to bed Al will ya :p Alcohol gets you banned!

Alex Ferguson described his member as "magnificent" in this biog and a story is told of him turning in the shower and hitting Lee Sharp on the thigh! :eek:

Scored a League Cup final winner for the Celts as well. Not sure what I'm more impressed by...

• Advertisement

^^^^

see neil!? nothing to do with me being pissed as a ****ing fart (which i am)

i'm just telling the truth. he is famed for more than his footballing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah I thought you meant he IS the biggest cock in football, not he HAS the biggest.

You looking at your 1997 copy of Gay Times again?!

Off topic.

Reported.

Night Night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The man can play the saxophone as well, a true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Remember his head butt on robbie savage:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Chris Sutton, Gary Doherty and Dion Dublin - all 3 Norwich players which appeared in this thread :) I think Dion is going back up to Leicester with his family although Norwich are looking into getting him a coaching role with the club. He said he was almost in tears at the last Norwich home game coming on as a sub with the reception he got, credit due to both QPR and Sheffield Wednesday supporters who gave him a standing ovation. Shows how much of an effect he had with other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

kensutz wrote: »
    Chris Sutton, Gary Doherty and Dion Dublin - all 3 Norwich players which appeared in this thread :) I think Dion is going back up to Leicester with his family although Norwich are looking into getting him a coaching role with the club. He said he was almost in tears at the last Norwich home game coming on as a sub with the reception he got, credit due to both QPR and Sheffield Wednesday supporters who gave him a standing ovation. Shows how much of an effect he had with other teams.

i was at Hillsboro yesterday - what an ovation he got at a stadium which hasnt had such a crowd since 2001. he came off after about an hour.
    norwich should have destroyed wednesday in the first half and Dublin was the key player in it. his flicks and knock downs were top drawer and he set up the goal for huckerby.
    the guy was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did he not fracture a bone in his neck hedbutting another player a few years back?

no

he ran into someone, he didnt headbutt them

Advertisement