Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammock Hanging Question? - well, it is Summer!!!!!

Options
  • 04-05-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to concrete 2 x 7ft timber posts into the ground in the lawn to hang a HAMMOCK from.

Questions -

How far should a hammock be off the ground?
    And how deep should the posts be concreted into the ground to take the weight?

Thoughts and help anyone?

Thanks in adv.
    Rgds,

NIF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

How thick are the posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi Smashey,

12inchs x 12 inches - good an chunky!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it was me doing this job I would also fit a diagonal brace to the setup.
    2.5/3ft deep and preferably not concreted in even if they are treated timber.
    Timber rots very fast in concrete as it holds water.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Id go with 6x4 with the 6" running with the hammock
    put in the cross brace
    2.5' 3' that a good dept all right
    If you put in a bed of clean stone under the concrete that' ll drain the holes for you
    after a while the hammock will stretch so keep it well off the ground or your a$$ will be on the ground :D:D

Hi All,
    Thanks for the help so far. Re; the diagonal bracing? Would this not affect the operation or ability to hang the hammock? OR maybe I'm just confused?
    Ohhhh, and thanks for the tip re; the hammock stretching.....never thought of that.

Thanks,
    NIF

• Advertisement

Hi All,
    Thanks for the help so far. Re; the diagonal bracing? Would this not affect the operation or ability to hang the hammock? OR maybe I'm just confused?
    Ohhhh, and thanks for the tip re; the hammock stretching.....never thought of that.

Thanks,
    NIF
    cross bracing
    when you set the post have them leaning outwards( make sure there down 2 odd 3 foot)maybe 20 degrees make sure both are leaning at the same angle the brace should go about 6" off the ground
    So if your useing a 4"*4" brace the top height will be 10" off the ground and that should be loads of clearance for your hammock
    But then again if your useing 12"*12" posts you may not need the brace if you concrete them in low enough
    Also when your fixing the hammock fix with an eye bolt secured from the back

Well, i got it done.

All i need now is some sun!:D

Thanks for the advise ppl.

Rgds,

NIF.

15072008363.jpg

looks great .....gis a shot:D

Advertisement