Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gta Iv - Rrod !!

• 04-05-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

OK, after working all last week and spending the weekend away, got back this evening and sat down to finally play GTA IV for the first time.

Freezed during first 2 installs, third time screen goes all blocky, then.... RROD!!

I am not a happy bunny as you might imagine.

I need to play this game and I reckon my best bet is to go into town tomorrow (bank holiday and all) and buy a new machine. I will send the old one away for repair and sell it when it gets back.

So can anyone recommend what would be my best bet? Arcade version with HDMI (Falcon chipset) - as I have the hard drive from my old machine? Or go for a Premium with the extra games (most of which I've played so they will be sold on)? Black would be nice but not essential. Quietness more so. Budget around €250. Who has the best deal?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

towel trick ftw thats what i do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I feel for ya, OP.

My 360 RROD'd the night before GTA came out. I had a bad feeling so before going to bed I turned it on to test it and... there it was. lol. I'm tellin ya, I think these things can sense when a big game is coming out and fail just as you put the disc in.

Anyway I picked up the Arcade console the next day in Smyths for 200. Old one is on the way to MS now. I'm probably going trade it in or sell it when it comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Thanks guys, would you believe the RROD went away since (for how long I don't know) and I was able to get in a few hours of GTA:D.

Still looking like a new box sooner rather than later though - what's the arcade model like for noise and does it have HDMI?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't noticed much difference in the noise level tbh. But yeah it has hdmi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dick101

you do know the towel trick wont be good on the x-box's main boerd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I feel for ya, OP.

My 360 RROD'd the night before GTA came out. I had a bad feeling so before going to bed I turned it on to test it and... there it was. lol. I'm tellin ya, I think these things can sense when a big game is coming out and fail just as you put the disc in.

Anyway I picked up the Arcade console the next day in Smyths for 200. Old one is on the way to MS now. I'm probably going trade it in or sell it when it comes back.

Same here, RROD a couple days before it, only got to play a few go's in mates house and its not the same as havng it to play for a few hours... Sitting there unopened since midnight launch :(
    Anyway my repair status is shipped to customer since yesterday but only 'billing info received' on UPS page, prob won't get it until end of week and i have a few days off this week. If I traded it in do you know how much I'd get fot it and would I be able to keep HDD? I might get an arcade like yourself as I have tomorrow and Tuesday off.
    Are downloaded arcade games and maps etc locked to the console or to the HDD? I seen something before about having to be logged into Live to play arcade games?
    If anyone else knows the trade in prices and other answers let me know as want to clock up some good gaming when I'm off, ie all day tomorrow and Tuesday...
    Also my tv doesn't have HDMI input, only component. Does arcade come with cable that will work outta the box? Are most new arcades fitted with the quieter fans and Falcon 65nm chips at this stage, if I buy it somewhere with a high turnover of consoles should I be safe in getting new model.
    Off topic a bit but I'm sure most ppl reading will have went through it all before.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

dick101 wrote: »
    you do know the towel trick wont be good on the x-box's main boerd

Who give's a ****, its already ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

hey man. what do you mean "duriing the install" i thought there is no install on the 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

hey man. what do you mean "duriing the install" i thought there is no install on the 360?

OK, not really 'during the install', more like during the initial cut-scene when there was a whole lot of 'extra' DVD whirring going on. This game puts a good bit of stress on the hardware (similar to GOW) so RROD may be more common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I haven't noticed much difference in the noise level tbh. But yeah it has hdmi.

Until MS change the DVD drive the noise of the 360s will all be the same. If they put a good quality drive in there the 360 would be like a PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

is it only the originals that are prone of ROD , i have an elite , havnt heard much about elites getting ROD(touch wood)? What do ye thinK?

Keith186 wrote: »
    If I traded it in do you know how much I'd get fot it and would I be able to keep HDD?
    I'm not too sure myself but there was some discussion of it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283242
    Are downloaded arcade games and maps etc locked to the console or to the HDD? I seen something before about having to be logged into Live to play arcade games?
    Yeah, they are locked to the console. I'm logged in to XBL most of the time so it hasn't been an issue for me so far but afaik you can call MS and they'll fix this for you.
    Also my tv doesn't have HDMI input, only component. Does arcade come with cable that will work outta the box?
    The Arcade only comes with a composite cable, no component or hdmi. Just use your old cable. And then if you trade-in/sell your old console throw in the Arcade composite cable with it.
    Are most new arcades fitted with the quieter fans and Falcon 65nm chips at this stage, if I buy it somewhere with a high turnover of consoles should I be safe in getting new model.
    I'm not too sure, you could always ask to check the manufacture date first. But yeah I'd imagine most of the high turnover places have them now.

is it only the originals that are prone of ROD , i have an elite , havnt heard much about elites getting ROD(touch wood)? What do ye thinK?
    All 360s can get RROD. If you've got one of the newer Falcon models the chances are reduced. I think the failure rate now is is 1 in 10 as opposed to 1 in 3 or whatever it was before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you swap the Live arcade games over to a new console, you have to be signed into Xbox Live in order to play them. Just so ya know and Ms won't do anything about it.

Its so the games can't be played on two consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Even themes that I got for free when I had my premium won't work on my Elite unless I'm signed into Live... I've also noticed that quite a few videos won't play unless I'm signed in. Copy protecting games is fair enough, but a bloody trailer?!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In an effort to avoid RROD with GTA demanding so many long hours of play, i bought one of those add on fan yokes in the hope it will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Hope its not the nyko intercooler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tis the cheapo Game one.

No scary stories about them not working or doing more damage without evidence/links dude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

I was getting the RRod on my launch model (it was an MS refurb after the first one went el busto) every time I loaded up a COD4 map. So I traded it in for an Elite. €199 and worth every penny imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mine got rrod playing gta today as well, it had been freezing since I first got it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Mine started crashing in gh3 and gta4 on thursday, it kept working most of the time, but at one point it crashed and displayed the rrod. It worked again, which annoyed me, because sending something back to ms like that might run the risk of some yokel turning it on once and deciding its fine.

I went off for the weekend, got a cheap copy of vegas. When i came back on monday and reset the console after a game of gta 4 it toasted itself. So I rang ms on tuesday, ups came (in a panel beaters van no less :confused:) the same day to collect it and off it goes.

The joke of it all is that its an elite, which I brought because i thought the extra 100 euro would get me a proper xbox with components soldered on with something better than glitter. In reality its just another xbox painted black with a hdmi port and a bigger hdd.

I cant really see how an external fan will help the problem, afaik the problem is caused by low quality solder breaking down due to the heat of the cpu. Its pretty hard to get heat away from a chip directly on the surface of a motherboard, espically with a poxy fan thing thats pretty far away itself.

Must resist urge to purchase a PS3 or an xbox arcade...

Mine hasn't frozen playing GTA yet *touches everything wooden in sight* but it has crashed during GH3, not exactly the most taxing game I would have thought.

I imagine, I'll get the RROD in the next 6 months *touches all the wood again*

Stupid Ms, can't believe they are allowed to continue selling a product with a design flaw like this! They should have had to fix it by now with 30% failure rates.

You know the reason they are probably still putting out dodgy consoles is because so many people get them repaired and then trade it and get a new one to avoid any further problems so it helps their sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

brim4brim wrote: »
    You know the reason they are probably still putting out dodgy consoles is because so many people get them repaired and then trade it and get a new one to avoid any further problems so it helps their sales.

I think console makers generally make a loss on producing the console, its generally the games that make the money. It does make the mind boggle to think tho that at some early point ms realised that the console has a horrible failure rate, but instead of stopping production and spending a few months redesigning (probably a fatal blow tbf) it they decided to plough on, subject thousands of xbox owners to returning the console or buying another one. Not to mention making UPS very very rich.

They loose money at the start and then start making a profit on it later as the production cost goes down over time and fast with technology.

Its yet another reason why it would be in there interest to get people to buy multiple consoles over a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Its a joke my 360 just buckled today after freezing during gta4 several times i tried to play cod4 and its gone for too, gta4 is a console breaker :mad::mad:

curry-muff wrote: »
    Its a joke my 360 just buckled today after freezing during gta4 several times i tried to play cod4 and its gone for too, gta4 is a console breaker :mad::mad:

Don't blame GTA4, its the console which can't handle a game :rolleyes:

Oh why wouldn't they let them install it on the HDD. Would have saved the DVD drive spinning at full speed all the time at least. :mad:

Overall though, great game :D
    Pity about the build quality of the console though!

Advertisement