Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Certification to do now?

Options
  • 04-05-2008 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Here is my current CV.
    http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dfqzb8vk_1gh6n98hc

I am looking at certifications to do. I not interested in working with Windows so I am think of doing the Linux A+ and the Red Hat Cert Latter.

I am going to do the CCNA starting in September in CIT.

I would like to do some more self learning Certs.

What do you recommend that I do ?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well what do you want to do.. Networks, Security, Database, Development?

Might be a bit easier if you could be a bit more specific

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Ginger wrote: »
    Well what do you want to do.. Networks, Security, Database, Development?

Might be a bit easier if you could be a bit more specific

As I have a degree in Telecommunications I would like to go the Network route. Hence I am doing my CCNA in Sept. I am thinking of doing Linux+

As I am more comfortable with a Unix/Linux than Windows I would like to go that direction also. I do think that I may need some MS cert though but I don't want to work in the windows world.

There are plenty of MS experts out there. I want to offer something different. What do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Security is always a good option and usually quite interesting as well as challenging, and its becoming more and more needed throughout the world.

SSCP for example is very good cert as well as the base Security+. The Security+ is a good starting cert as well.

On the networks, it helps if you have been working with Cisco gear before you attempt the CCNA. But if you are doing a course you should be ok.

While you may need to know about the MS side of the house, if you dont work in it, there is no need to certify in it. You probably have enough experience in the base aspects to get you through day to day work that will probably pop up as part of your career. I dont deal with Unix that often but have enough basic knowledge to get myself around and it works out ok.

If they want a Windows admin they will hire one.

The main thing that will help is experience to back up the certs. No point having them without some sort of experience really

Advertisement