Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much music theory do you need in order to learn guitar from scratch?

Options
  • 04-05-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to take up playing guitar and its a pretty daunting challenge as I know no music theory at all.

Should I learn the basics of music notes and sheet music etc before picking up a guitar?

Also.. Are 1 to 1 lessons an absolute necessity or could I get along with the websites for a little while?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to take up playing guitar and its a pretty daunting challenge as I know no music theory at all.
    It's daunting now but once you get started, you'll be fine. The key is not to try too much too soon!
    Trotter wrote:
    Should I learn the basics of music notes and sheet music etc before picking up a guitar?
    Personally I wouldn't bother learning musical notation as guitar tablature is far easier to read. Files in Guitar Pro format will come with both notations which can be useful if you are planning to be accompanied by a cello or something. For example, here's the start of a song I was working on in Guitar Pro last week:

gp_example.png

I have no idea what's going on in the top line but I can read the lower line immediately.
    Trotter wrote:
    Also.. Are 1 to 1 lessons an absolute necessity or could I get along with the websites for a little while?
    Again, for me lessons never came into it. I wanted to learn my way and at my own pace. It probably helped that I was a moody teenager at the time :). I was sent to piano lessons as a kid by my parents which I absolutely hated so when I made the decision to learn a new instrument I knew that lessons wouldn't work for me. I figured that rather than plinking my way through Yankee Doodle Dandy or Little Brown Jug I would start out with Nirvana songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Lithium. Happily, Nirvana songs are quite easy to play, especially on the bass.

I started out playing the bass guitar and learnt songs through either listening to them and working out the notes or playing through tabs downloaded from the Internet. I transitioned to the guitar a couple of years later and did pretty much the same thing.

Now, with that said, what worked for me may not work for you so if you're looking to play classical guitar or difficult pieces in general, it might be a good idea to get a lesson or two to teach you the basics so that you have a solid foundation to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Basically I'd say it depends on how serious you are about taking up the guitar. If you want to make a career out of it and become a "musician" as apart from strumming to a sing-along in a pub with friends, then IMO you should learn some music theory. If the latter is closer to what you want, you'll probably get by with a book of chords. If it's lead (electric ) guitar you like, try listening to some of your favourite artists. Either way I'd recommend a few lessons from a good teacher to get you started.

You'll pick up the basics fairly easy, after that it's up to you how far you want to go.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks a lot! Its always something I've wanted to do, so I think its time to have a proper go!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hi,
    A small bit of music theory always helps particularly if you're going to study music at 3rd level (or in school!)
    One on one lessons I guess are the best but the group lessons are good to meet people and have a bit of competition.

http://jguitar.com/

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

depends on what you want to play. if you want to play rock/blues etc you should be fine with tab. if you want to play classical or jazz you should prob think about learning standard notation. bear in mind that you might not always find cobain and co so inspiring. by only using tab you limit yourself somewhat.
    being familiar with music theory is only another way of saying that you know what you are doing. in either music or brain surgery, this can only be a good thing. a good music teacher or music school should be of help. you can always not go back if you dont like the direction.
    so now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Start without the theory and get to love the guitar first. As you advance, you will (sort of) have to get on top of how chords are formed which will lead you to the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Start without the theory and get to love the guitar first. As you advance, you will (sort of) have to get on top of how chords are formed which will lead you to the theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Definately get a couple of lessons anyway. The problem with most self taught guitarists is that they can develop some pretty bad habits that hinder their develoment, though only a good teacher will be able to recognise most of these. Thats not to say that one can't learn how to play brilliantly if self taught (obvious examples of Jimi Hendrix and Wes Montgomery) but few ppl are that good naturally and its good to get a bit of outside motivation and learn a few shortcuts to getting better quicker; even one a month so that someone can see how you're progressing. If you know any decent guitarists i'm sure they could help anyway.

I wouldn't worry about theory much until you get accustomed to your instrument. Theory is especially useful when communicating with other musicians (well besides bassists as you can talk to them in tab :p) and it is worth knowing some of it as it'll give you a better understanding of the music: though if you're content without it thats fine too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I got a couple of lessons early on and looking back they seriously accelerated my learning. I would recommend them.

Learning the theory of music will be much more natural when you get some "mad skillz" at the instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

i suppose its how you define 'theory'. once you start learning chords you are immediately involved in theory. how they are constructed etc. doesnt mean you have to ever worry about thirteenth chords and harmonizing the minor harmonic scale. but whatever you're into yourself. i found lessons quite helpful. and i had been playing for years before that. just not getting anywhere. either way, enjoy. turn up the gain and bobs your uncle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Werewolf

Hi Trotter.

The best advice I could give you is to start off with tab as some of the lads have already mentioned, 1-2-1 lessons will definitely give you an advantage, and as for theory, well the very basics is all you need to start off with. In my experience, I started off learning the fingering for a few chords from a mate of mine and from there learned a few 3-chord-trick songs to practice changing chords smoothly. I would recommend the 'Complete Learn to Play' series of books for you to start with if you intend learning tab, They cover the basics of theory too and come with 2 CD's packed with audio versions of all the practice passages. I found them very helpful and there's a different book for just about every style of guitar. I used Rock Guitar, Rhythm Guitar and I haven't really done much with the Lead book yet because I'm not really into flashy solos. Not yet anyway. They do all start you from square one and progress upwards to some pretty tasty stuff. Only thing is that all the riffs and passages were written for the book but it's still good stuff if you don't want to be taking on a whole song at a time. I would consider myself a competent rhythm guitarist and could jam along with most styles of music and even do a wee bit of the lead too.

You can find out more about the books on

http://www.learntoplaymusic.com

Hope it's been of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

As a teacher I find that that the vast majority of my students are self-taught starters and time I should be spending showing new ideas and techniques is actually spent correcting bad habits, poor timing, poor fingering and don't get me started on picking! Basic theory (and by the powers of Greyskull you need some theory!) should painlessly introduced piecemeal and over time by a good teacher.

Some people can learn on their own but it is my experience that most don't. I think if you can be honest to yourself about your progress you'll be ok but if you falter get professional help!

Advertisement