Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westboro

Options
  • 05-05-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZHwtsBmWE

Has everyone heard of this cracked crowd before?
    This documentary was supposed to be on TV3 last Thursday but a match was in extra time so it wasnt on.

Well, what do ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Old news I'm afraid on boards, there's been at least 70 bajillion threads on them (I started one myself!)

For the record, I would think they should be laughed at and perhaps pitied, save for how horrid their kids seem to have it. Ringing their parents for permission to have a coffee with friends at 18? WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Yeah we have had a good few chats about them on here, they're a bunch of lunatics

Just ignore them, the thing they want most is publicity so don't give them any

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd ride the eldest daughter though

Yay your name is changing again!

Also, are you drunk?

Yeah, I'd prob hit that too. Only if I could be head of the church. There would be some changes, let me tell you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wouldn't fancy your new mother-in-law.

• Advertisement

well i'd probably do her too tbh, i'd say she was well fine in the 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SDooM wrote: »
    Old news I'm afraid on boards, there's been at least 70 bajillion threads on them (I started one myself!)

For the record, I would think they should be laughed at and perhaps pitied, save for how horrid their kids seem to have it.
    The adults (many of them) are just abused kids who have grown up. That particular church is based on a family unit although it has some adoptive members who are convinced by the enthusiasm of the church members.

The pity that we usually reserve for the children should be extended to all of the members of this cult. They are all victims of something (whether they are born into the cult or swindled the arch fraudster who heads the 'religion'

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Akrasia wrote: »
    The adults (many of them) are just abused kids who have grown up. That particular church is based on a family unit although it has some adoptive members who are convinced by the enthusiasm of the church members.

The pity that we usually reserve for the children should be extended to all of the members of this cult. They are all victims of something (whether they are born into the cult or swindled the arch fraudster who heads the 'religion'

Good point but I think that since they can be viewed as a bit of a joke, the main underlying social issue here is "which one would ya do"

i was thinking about it last night, and i'd say father westboro (the head of the church) would be a great partner in a threesome.

just try to imagine the passion he';d bring to spitroasting ann coulter or nancy pelosi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Oookay, lets try and get back on track here.

No really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I feel sorry for the children. The adults obviously have their own issues that they have found an outlet for in what the church teaches (they seem to be boiling over with anger at something), but the children were raised in this environment, they don't know anything else.

You can see that it has badly effected them, they are bitter and angry towards the outside world for the way the outside world has been bitter and angry towards them because of what their parents have done. They pretend not to be bit, they pretend follow the "Christian" idea of loving everyone (though I've never met anyone, Christian or otherwise, who actually did follow that).

Naturally they side with their parents, but it also confirms for them what their religion teaches, that the outside world is full of selfish sinners who don't want to listen. To them they are preaching the truth and a peaceful manner, and they are met with anger and violence not because of the inappropriate way they go about this, but because the world outside is wicked and sinful .

Wicknight wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the children. The adults obviously have their own issues that they have found an outlet for in what the church teaches (they seem to be boiling over with anger at something), but the children were raised in this environment, they don't know anything else.

You can see that it has badly effected them, they are bitter and angry towards the outside world for the way the outside world has been bitter and angry towards them because of what their parents have done. They pretend not to be bit, they pretend follow the "Christian" idea of loving everyone (though I've never met anyone, Christian or otherwise, who actually did follow that).

Naturally they side with their parents, but it also confirms for them what their religion teaches, that the outside world is full of selfish sinners who don't want to listen. To them they are preaching the truth and a peaceful manner, and they are met with anger and violence not because of the inappropriate way they go about this, but because the world outside is wicked and sinful .

The saddest moment in that film is when the child (brought on one of their "God hates fags" rallies) gets pelted with a full drink container.

The parents deserve whatever they get, the kids are innocent.

I think the Mordinator or whatever he is called today is being clever by reacting to Westboro in the way they react to others by coming out with something disturbing and extreme. Or something. :)

i've never been accused of being clever before :)

i've never been accused of being clever before :)

I can insult you if it would make you feel better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

The most disturbing bit for me was when Louis asked the eldest? daughter about her sisters who had left the church, and she beamed a smile saying they were going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I watched it and managed no shock nor disbelief. At this stage I've seen a lot.

Look on the bright side: unlike your everyday cult, these people dont even recruit. Let them have their Fire and their Brimstone, so. From what I gather they lose more followers to the outside than they gain. Let them have their warped sense of reality.

That is awesome in the literal sense of the word. I am awed someone would actually make that in seriousness.

Advertisement