Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual sighting at Dublin airport

• 05-05-2008 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭

Heading to bed yesterday at 03:45, I looked out the sitting room window and saw a smallish plane(Learjet or maybe a bit bigger) approach runway runway 28 (I have a clear view of Dublin airport from my apt) at very high speed. It looked more like normal cruising speed rather than landing or take off speed. I went out to the balcony and it flew about 100 feet over the runway area but didn't land. Also, there was not a sound from it. There was no wind at the time and little or no ambient noise and at night I can hear planes taxiing, never find traveling at 100's of knots. It then began ascending very rapidly and again it made no noise at all. It then made a very sharp right and then a left and then continued on its way in a straight line until it disappeared into the distance a few minutes later. Can anyone shed any light into what was going on? I've seen some strange sightings in the past but this was really weird. Military perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The aircraft was performing calibration of the runway 10 and 28 ILS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Possible King Air perhaps from the UK from these guys http://www.flightprecision.co.uk/? They are a company in the UK that operate King Airs they Calibrate runways they did Baldonnel not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I remember the Hs125's which used to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Thats great, thanks. Explains everything so

Advertisement