Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I love DIT

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Sir Molle wrote: »
    If only spar did degrees.

This thread makes me hate DIT more and more, because reading the replies, the only thing people are enjoying about DIT are the soft drinks they sell in the student union shop.

Ok so would you prefer if i said,

The reason I love DIT is because the course I picked has almost everything I want in it.
    • It gave me a good grounding for programming in any language,
    • Taught me how to manage my time so that I can submit assignments/projects when their due,
    • Showed me how to "look outside the box",
    • The student union are always informative and helpful,
    • Gave me knowledge and confidence to get a job in a fantastic company
    • I've met some of the best people ever.

Is that enough or do you want me to go on?
    and there's a half decent looking bird working in the Student Union Shop in Kevin St.

Wow. Just wow.

I actually hate people who moan about DIT, nobody forced you to come here and you can leave when you want. Stop bringing the DIT vibe down and f off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

orla wrote: »
    Well, isn't that the point of the thread?

Wow. Just wow.

I actually hate people who moan about DIT, nobody forced you to come here and you can leave when you want. Stop bringing the DIT vibe down and f off.
    Nobody forced me, but I came here because the college looked attractive at first. However, the view you have of the college at first sight is vastly different from the view of the college you form from experiencing 4 years there. If nobody complains, standards go sloppy. In the case of DIT, they've really let themselves go. So, in complaining about how **** DIT is, I'm actually doing more for the college than someone who shuts up because they're "bringing the vibe down". Also, you can think of me as your personal hero for trying to save our shitty college. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If nobody complains, standards go sloppy. In the case of DIT, they've really let themselves go. So, in complaining about how **** DIT is, I'm actually doing more for the college than someone who shuts up because they're "bringing the vibe down".

What was the response you got from the SU or Prof. Norton or whoever you complained to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

[*]I've met some of the best people ever.

well i know that's not sarcasm. you've met me. lucky devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Arabel wrote: »
    What was the response you got from the SU or Prof. Norton or whoever you complained to?
    I asked one of lecturers who had a habbit of not showing up randomly for classes to send me an email if he knew that a class wasn't going ahead because it would save me a bus trip in to town and now he does that which is grand. I had also complained to the lecturer who had given no information about the assignment and he saw absolutly no reason to e-mail the class about information like that for some reason. Even having explained the situation that I was in, having missed the class for a valid reason where he had given the information out, he still thought he had given out a perfectly acceptable amount of information about the assignement which is totally bull****. The only other words issued about this assignment were after the due date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Anyone who thinks that people who complain about a college are 'bringing it down' need themselves to be brought down... to earth.

Seriously like, if there are legitimate complaints, then prospective students should be aware of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Ok so would you prefer if i said,

The reason I love DIT is because the course I picked has almost everything I want in it.
    • It gave me a good grounding for programming in any language,
    • Taught me how to manage my time so that I can submit assignments/projects when their due,
    • Showed me how to "look outside the box",
    • The student union are always informative and helpful,
    • Gave me knowledge and confidence to get a job in a fantastic company
    • I've met some of the best people ever.

Wow. Just wow.

So you think it would be better that those of us with problems regarding DIT would 'stop bringing the DIT vibe down and f off'? Actually I'm sure it would be a LOT worse if we all just kept our mouths shut. So you had a good experience there - that's great. No need to resort to immature insults to those of us that didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Also, you can think of me as your personal hero for trying to save our shitty college. Thanks in advance.

I don't think so. I'm perfectly happy with DIT the way it is as i've had no problems.
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that people who complain about a college are 'bringing it down' need themselves to be brought down... to earth.

Seriously like, if there are legitimate complaints, then prospective students should be aware of them.

I'm all for complaining if its justified. But I'm talking about the type of person that always complains no matter what situation they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I asked one of lecturers who had a habbit of not showing up randomly for classes to send me an email if he knew that a class wasn't going ahead because it would save me a bus trip in to town and now he does that which is grand. I had also complained to the lecturer who had given no information about the assignment and he saw absolutly no reason to e-mail the class about information like that for some reason. Even having explained the situation that I was in, having missed the class for a valid reason where he had given the information out, he still thought he had given out a perfectly acceptable amount of information about the assignement which is totally bull****. The only other words issued about this assignment were after the due date.

Well then if you want the problem solved (or at least improved) you'd need to go further than the lecturer.

Is your class rep any good? I know the class rep for my year goes to a meeting of all the class reps for the course and all the lecturers along with the tutors and course coordinator and any problems can and are brought up there. It only happens once or twice a year but it's a good place to solve problems.

Then there's the course coordinator or the SU (I think the new president occasionally posts here) who the class could approach directly and let them know that this isn't acceptable.

It's all well and good to complain about DIT here but it'd be better if you and your class tried to follow it up, and keep following it up until things improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

As usual, a boards.ie thread has not managed to reach page 3 without derailing into a ****ing fight.
    Worst website ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

1. Address issue directly with lecturer.

No response, or can't resolve the situation?

2. Go to course co-ordinator preferably with class rep, and present issue in confidence.

No resolution, or can't resolve the situation after a few attempts...?

3. Approach head of school perhaps with class reps? And make them aware that you've broached the subject a few times with course- co ord and haven't got a response. If you can't meet with the school head, write a letter after addressing the rest of your student group and signing it with class rep present. No harm in making the SU aware of your actions, aswell as asking them for advice?

In my experience, DIT will respond once the situation is presented to them clearly, concisely and without agression.

it's really like everything else. If you have a valid complaint.. there are ways of going about it.

Advertisement