Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing threads...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*mental note to self.
    close all threads which may be a 'hot' topic, or may require me to keep an eye on it, just so that I can have a nice easy mod life.

*mental note to self
    next time a flame war starts on motors, do not close thread, divert all reported posts to C-mod :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't think that's a fair argument peasant. Motor's is busy, if the lads feel they need a helping hand then they know to ask.

I don't see our function as censoring discussion. The OP could have been warned about his tone if anything.

I don't think that's a fair argument peasant. Motor's is busy, if the lads feel they need a helping hand then they know to ask.

I don't see our function as censoring discussion. The OP could have been warned about his tone if anything.

The problem with warning is, that it doesn't remove the offending post, which in return will attract and infuriate the opposed side and you've got warnings flying all over the place within a few posts into the tread.
    Not the way to lead a debate/discussion.

The alternative is to either edit the OP (which is an even worse form of censoring)or delete it.

I still think that in this particular case, closing the thread with the remark that it won't lead anywhere was the best thing to do.
    Cuts and bruises avoided all round ..plus it sits there as an example of how not to start a good debate.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think this thread goes to show that all mods should be put through a rigourous 3 month training programme. I hear they run a nice one in the bahamas in November, and have rewards for successful completion of daily tasks. Hmm, what could be a good reward. Cack and hikers? Cork and honkers? None of them sound quite right. I'm sure it'll come to me.....

All the expenses for the above should be taken from mods salaries. I know I would agree to have my boards paycheque docked for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If you came close to knocking down a cyclist because they werent in anyway way iluminated i think you'd be pretty mad too.

Im sure if there was a car driving around with no lights that it wouldn't be suprising to find cyclists calling them a "bastard"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 emma peel

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Because I don't suffer fools gladly and that thread was hardly a PI.

I hope you are not saying that everyone who posted in it is also a fool? *confused* In my experience, the OP may not be the greatest or most thought-provoking, but it might lead to a discussion that is. Shutting down threads because someone might do something seems like overkill to me, unless the poster has a history of flaming or trolling.

If wanting revenge on someone isn't a PI, what would qualify?

I am definitely getting the feeling that my posting style, which is fairly outspoken, is not going to be a good fit, at least not in the PI forum. Maybe it's a Canadian vs UK thing, I don't know. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

peasant wrote: »
    Not the way to lead a debate/discussion.

Should Mods be leading a discussion or should they be facilitating a civil debate? For me its the latter. I don't think any thread should be closed because it has been discussed before, This site is growing at such a rate that such closures are unfair on newer members particularily and basically amount to censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

The Muppet wrote: »
    Should Mods be leading a discussion or should they be facilitating a civil debate? For me its the latter. I don't think any thread should be closed because it has been discussed before, This site is growing at such a rate that such closures are unfair on newer members particularily and basically amount to censorship.

bang on the money.

i keep saying it. mods are not police. we dont do people for 'loitering'
    we are here to facilitate discussion. that doesnt mean we close a thread because we think its low brow discussion.
    if it turns into a flamewar, then feel free to close all you want, but pre-emptive closures and bannings (as there used to be) is just not what this site is about.
    *mental note to self
    next time a flame war starts on motors, do not close thread, divert all reported posts to C-mod :D

feel free to do so, although, it would make me wonder why youre amod of a forum if youre going to do that.
    i know you are being facetious, but the fact remains, youre a mod of a forum, and as such, you have asked for, and been given the responsibility of maintaining that forum.
    if you feel that you cant be arsed to facilitate the discussions that go on in the forum, then i suggest you consider why you are a mod, and if you decide that its not to allow others to share their point of view, regardless of how they put it, then you might want to consider handing in your badge and gun at the desk.

and that goes for any mod here.

we are not here to direct or dictate the conversation. we are here simply to react to misdemenours and allow users to use this site.

locking threads is tantamount to powertripping.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    WWMan is the pinnacle of freedom of expression (and I mean that in a good way :) ). While I agree with him to some extent the answer is a bit more complicated.

thats not quite true simon. i am an advocate of being able to put across your view, even if it isnt in line with sociably acceptble thinking, but that does mean i think you can say anything you want.

i am however the pinnacle of giving users the choice to converse rationally, or act the mickey and get banned.

The other thing is where you get into the infinity spiral . Both sides think they are right, neither backing down and the subject goes around and around and around. Not even agree to disagree. This happend a lot on politics. All it does is create noise on a valid subject. In such instances threads have run their course.

then there is no harm in letting it run its course instead of closing it, is there?
    i mean, nothing will ever be gained by closing a thread.
    you may however, gain something from leaving it open

and as someone else said, if you close a thread without reason, then you block any chance that someone else has of saying something that may change things.

Depends a lot of how it was done. If you had a valid reason to bump it then it shouldn't be an issue. Often though threads are bumped with stupid responses in a way to goad people responding to a hot thread when the arguments are over.

One other thing to realise, certainly with the really old threads is that a lot of the first boards.ie people know each other well. Have gone drinking together, dated, broken up, married and all other sorts of carry on. Some threads have back stories outside of boards (like hearing an old tune and it reminds you of that time you woke up naked in some field in Kerry after a binge session :) ). So bumping those sort of threads can cause rational actions to go out the window.

bumping a seven year old thread to adda smilie is a bit strange, but is there actually any real harm in it.

lets be honest here.
    mods close threads for the simple reason that they cant be arsed to deal with them, or they are annoyed by them.

no other reason.

so what if its been discussed a thousand times before. are we going to march down to the pub and demand that people not talk about football over a pint becuase i already had that conversation last friday?

no.

then why do it here?

again, the simple reason is that mods are annoyed for some strange reason, or they cant be bothered to to deal with it.
    so they lock them.
    i think its bad modding becuase it smacks of arrogance and powertripping.

i just really fail to see the problem. and any mod that says they dont want to trawl through all the rubbish that such threads bring, well, hang up your mod boots. there are plenty of other people who are hapy to step into them.

or perhaps they need to head over to the 'why do mods stay mods' thread on this forum and figureout just what exactly they get from being a mod. becuase apparently it isnt anything to do with helping the community.

I still think that in this particular case, closing the thread with the remark that it won't lead anywhere was the best thing to do.
    Cuts and bruises avoided all round ..plus it sits there as an example of how not to start a good debate.

and it brings back the age old question of what is a good debate, and what exactly are the rules around what makes a good debate, and what doesnt.

and whos opinion are we eventually going to use as the yardstick for this measurement of good debating?

does the fact that someone swears mean they are no longer eligable to debate, or does it mean they are too emotionally invested in the theme and therefore all logical debate is never going to happen anyway?

surely those types of people cant give us a good debate?

why dont you write out everything we need for a good debate, and we will form a sub committee to see if it gets accepted? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I tell ya, WWM should have been elected Taoiseach!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

emma peel wrote: »
    I am definitely getting the feeling that my posting style, which is fairly outspoken, is not going to be a good fit, at least not in the PI forum. Maybe it's a Canadian vs UK thing, I don't know. Time will tell.

Well, PI tends to deal with OP issues, and these are not abstracts. You may be well into dealing with the finer points of somene elses post, picking it apart full stop by full stop in a series of posts, oblivious to the fact that there is an OP wondering when someone is going to deal with what he/she raised.While there is leeway, discussions and debates are more perhaps for humanities.

Your best best is to read the charter, have a look at how responses are formulated in threads. It will give you a better idea, if you think you think you will be able to post or not without having your blood pressure rise ;). As long as you follow the charter then you would be fine outspoken or not.

Its probably also a good idea to forget that you moderated a forum in a large site, and accept how particular forums on this site are moderated (good, bad or indifferent).

if you feel that you cant be arsed to facilitate the discussions that go on in the forum, then i suggest you consider why you are a mod, and if you decide that its not to allow others to share their point of view, regardless of how they put it, then you might want to consider handing in your badge and gun at the desk.

and that goes for any mod here.

we are not here to direct or dictate the conversation. we are here simply to react to misdemenours and allow users to use this site.

locking threads is tantamount to powertripping.

This is getting ridiculous now.

First off, I wasn't the one who closed the thread ..but I probably would have done so as well, for reasons explained above ...reasons that apply to ONE particular thread on ONE particular forum. Not ALL threads on ALL forums. So please stop generalising and insinuating that I am a "powertripper".

Secondly, if you can't be arsed to show me particular examples where I personally have stifled discussion or censored threads or whatever that went beyond a "reaction to misdemeanors", I'd appreciate it if you would desist from including me personally in your grand sweeping statements about bad modding / powertripping mods.

If, on the other hand, you want my "badge and gun" as you put it ...all you have to do is ask for it and you can have it.

This is getting ridiculous now.

First off, I wasn't the one who closed the thread ..but I probably would have done so as well, for reasons explained above ...reasons that apply to ONE p

articular thread on ONE particular forum. Not ALL threads on ALL forums. So please stop generalising and insinuating that I am a "powertripper".

Secondly, if you can't be arsed to show me particular examples where I personally have stifled discussion or censored threads or whatever that went beyond a "reaction to misdemeanors", I'd appreciate it if you would desist from including me personally in your grand sweeping statements about bad modding / powertripping mods.

If, on the other hand, you want my "badge and gun" as you put it ...all you have to do is ask for it and you can have it.

sorry, when i say you, im talking about the gerneal you, not you in particular :)

perhaps substitue the word 'one' into 'you', with the exception of the part which i did direct at you. im not having a go at you personally, im simply making a point. like i said, i know you were being facetious, and it wasnt directed really at you. apologies for not making that more clear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

emma peel wrote: »
    I hope you are not saying that everyone who posted in it is also a fool? *confused*

I don't recall saying that.
    In my experience, the OP may not be the greatest or most thought-provoking, but it might lead to a discussion that is.

Reading the forum charter will clear up the fact that PI is there for actual personal problems only, not for discussions. We have a Humanities forum for that.
    Shutting down threads because someone might do something seems like overkill to me, unless the poster has a history of flaming or trolling.

It wasn't shut down because it 'might' go somewhere, it was shut down because it was stupid.
    If wanting revenge on someone isn't a PI, what would qualify?

Read the forum and work it out.

Canadian vs Ireland don't ya mean? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Below is a perfectly good example of an old thread that was re-started again and locked needlessly

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905217

Why couldnt it have been left open in the first place? What harm would it have done?

Instead there's a new thread on the exact same topic..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287705

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

KevIRL wrote: »
    Below is a perfectly good example of an old thread that was re-started again and locked needlessly

Why couldnt it have been left open in the first place? What harm would it have done?

Thats a bit silly alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KevIRL wrote: »

Could have guessed you might post and refer to me. Again I call to you: If you dont like how I moderate, feel free to send me a PM outlining your concerns and ill take them into consideration.

I closed the thread because it was 2 years old and was brought up again to repeat the overall purpose of the thread. I think new threads are better then digging up old topics. On previous sites, we acted in the same way and I just carried over the same procedure here. Iv seen it done countless times over my years on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sully wrote: »
    Could have guessed you might post and refer to me. Again I call to you: If you dont like how I moderate, feel free to send me a PM outlining your concerns and ill take them into consideration.

LOL, cool the jets there Sully. It was the most recent example of an old thread being needlessly closed that I can remember from a forum that I browse.

I posted it here as an example of what I feel is an unneccasry closure of an old thread (IMO not all old thread are auto close threads, altho many are).

As for PMing you moderating that I disagree with, I have done this in the past and you acted on my feedback. And I would PM you again if I had issues.

My post here is not a critisim, merely an example. No need for the persecution complex.

Anyway, I'm not looking to drag this thread OT, so will leave it at that. Hope you see my point

Advertisement