Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta engine trouble?

Options
  • 05-05-2008 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey,

I've a '99 Ford Fiesta. The other day, on the dual carriageway, it started feeling like the car had no extra acceleration. I was stuck on 80km/h. Engine temperature was ok, about half way. Revs were at about 3000. Then the steering wheel began to shake a bit, as if when the wheels are not properly balanced. When I got out, under the bonnet seemed fine. There was a bit of a smell of smoke beside the back right tyre. I took a mechanic out to drive it about 20 minutes later, and he had absolutely no problem, we were getting into 100km/h no problem.

I doubt it's a handbrake problem, because it's happened to my wife a week later.

Any ideas what it could be?

Regards,
    Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Did you check any of the wheels, where they hot?

Might be that one of the brakes were stuck, that might explain the smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

Ok, it's a possibility. It happened again today. Could be the back break that's at fault. Must get it to the garage tomorrow if possible.

I've been told that this type of problem can come from the clutch.

Brought it to one mechanic to take a look. He drove it around the place. He said the clutch either goes or doesn't, it's not a gradual thing, so probably not the clutch. I don't know. He suggested changed the plugs, pluglets (sp?) and the "something"-coil.

It was indeed the breaks. It had been rusted due to non-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

simon333 wrote: »
    due to non-use.
    Now I'm concerned about your driving style! :D

• Advertisement

I should clarify then :p
    After buying the car I figured out it hadn't picked up much mileage during the last year, so it was probably lying idle for months.

Advertisement