Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postbank is open for business!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I know this is an old thread but Im wondering does anyone know if this has been fixed?

Im thinking of opening an account with postbank and want to get as much info as possible!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I know this is an old thread but Im wondering does anyone know if this has been fixed?

Im thinking of opening an account with postbank and want to get as much info as possible!

Cheers

afaik not yet. I have since closed my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope. The card is even less useful now. In the UK it only works in Sainsburys ATMs. It took me ages to get a few quid out one day. They need to join the link system.

Postbank has gone downhill totally. I reckon it is run by about 10 people. Their customer service is terrible. They won't even follow the financial regulators guidlines for dealing with disputes. I am in the process of closing my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Might be an indication of what will happen if the government end up taking a stake in the Irish banks.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Might be an indication of what will happen if the government end up taking a stake in the Irish banks.:(

Yep :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm intrigued. Please flesh out your comment, because I'm failing to see any logic or reasoning behind it other than a post for the sake of a post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maddensean

Hi all,

Here we are in the Year of our Lord, 2009, and here are my experiences with postbank for the past 12 months or so.

1. The card can't be used online . Full Stop.
    2. LOTS of retailers still do not accept PostBank Mastero Card, as recently as Aldi, July 09 (Is aldi not one of the biggest supermarkets in Ireland??)
    3. Customer service - Shockingly poor.. Usual trademark "waiting for retailers" to upgrade there system, to take mastero" or "Ask for the manager if it does not work" to, of which was the best yet " tell the girl on the check out its a mastero, maybe there pressing the wrong button & pressing MasterCard" - try telling that to a 25yo Eastern European in Aldi!
    4. Worst online service to date. You need to carry around this stupid "BankSmart" device, even just to log on to check balance etc, Why , oh why do we have to use this stupid little thing every time i want to check balance etc.
    5. Using the card abroad (spain, uk, usa) is just as tricky, with many retailers not accepting it,

and on a different note, i've jsut switched to Halifax & got there shiny new Visa Debit card, but, alas, i hear over the weekend that there going to be shut down soon... gutted!

End of Rant...

Executive Summary: Postbank = Crap-ola, dont go there...

I agree 100% with you on all of the above.

The worst thing is the 14 day clearing period for cheques, like wtf this is 2009 not 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Vananna

I've been with Postbank since they came to be and I am very close to closing my account with them. They are the most inefficient crowd I've ever had to deal with. I started a new job recently and my first months salary was paid by cheque. I lodged it into my account, left it for 3 working days, went to take money out to be told I had insufficient funds, it was only when I rang the bank that I learned that it takes 10 working days for a cheque to clear as " we are not a clearing bank"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in god's name is that all about???? I had just about got my head around the craziness of having to use the stupid smartcard device in order to go online to check my account and now this!!!!! I really want to switch to some other bank but I really don't want the hastle it entails. It can take forever!! Can anyone recommend a good bank to switch to??

Halifax. I have never looked back. Postbank are they worst.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Any bank really, opening a current account is usually a fairly hassle free procedure.

Not really.

Many want detailed history, PPSN etc. Others are less intrusive.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They can only request your PPSN if you are opening an interest bearing current account. It's because of the new taxation of savings leglisation. Also, you don't have to provide PPSN on opening the account, you may have to sign to say that you will provide it to them at a later date, but they can't refuse to open an account for you on the basis that you don't have/don't have proof of your PPSN.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Not really.

Many want detailed history, PPSN etc. Others are less intrusive.

So?

I would rather not bank with those people.

I would rather not bank with those people.
    :confused: they have to ask, it's government legislation. Personally I think it's an absolute pain in the arse, speaking both as staff and as a customer, it's just more paperwork and hassle, but unfortunately the powers that be say we have to do it. You can also refuse to give your PPSN if you wish, the branch just has to note it on the form, but they'll still open the account for you.

I think you have me wrong. I have no problems with government requirements. It is the non required info that annoys me. I had one bank wanting payslips, P60, etc just to open a basic current account. I was not looking for credit in any way shape or form.

I think you have me wrong. I have no problems with government requirements. It is the non required info that annoys me. I had one bank wanting payslips, P60, etc just to open a basic current account. I was not looking for credit in any way shape or form.

Wow! :eek: That's not right, I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do that. Something to do with the Data Protection act and what the information is going to be used for.

Toots* wrote: »
    Wow! :eek: That's not right, I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do that. Something to do with the Data Protection act and what the information is going to be used for.

They're well entitled to ask Toots under the guise of Anti Money Laundering. Some don't bother. In fairness I would be very reluctant to open an account for someone who couldn't verify an income. There are plenty of dodgy folk out there attempting frauds etc. Unfortunatly the minority make life hard for the majority.

The thing is that the way some banks operate their account opening procedures they are basically criminalising being unemployed/on state benefits by refusing them service. I won't name them but they are major banks with government backing.

I went into Halifax who used to be the very worst for asking for extra info, I opened a basic current account with just a passport and one bill and that was all that was required. I had my account opened straight way and had my visa debit card within a week. They did not want my life history, income details or what I ate for breakfast. It is amazing what a recession will do. ;) A year ago it would have been impossible.

If a bank won't open an account for an unemployed person purely because they are unemployed there are plenty of other banks that still will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

stepbar wrote: »
    I would be very reluctant to open an account for someone who couldn't verify an income.
    so someone who is unfortunate enough to find themselves unemployed could have the extra bonus of dealing with someone like you if they wished to open a bank a/c with your bank....Is that not discrimination

Advertisement