Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist Suntan

Options
  • 05-05-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

With all the nice weather we have had laterly ... I am sure I am not the only one who has started to realize that ... my cycling gear is the only gear I will be able to wear until the end of the summer ... even on the beach ...

No tank tops ... no skirts/ shorts ... Farmers' tan all the way ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

wetsuits on the beach for me:p Don't even have a farmer's tan, just a drinker's burnt nose:mad: Left the city the other day heading into clouds with 3 layers on - how stupid did I look sweating my way along the military road in full body armour while semi-dressed people were hanging out of car windows with summer music and ice creams. And I'm supposed to work today:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

oobydooby wrote: »
    wetsuits on the beach for me:p Don't even have a farmer's tan, just a drinker's burnt nose:mad: Left the city the other day heading into clouds with 3 layers on - how stupid did I look sweating my way along the military road in full body armour while semi-dressed people were hanging out of car windows with summer music and ice creams. And I'm supposed to work today:mad:
    ... maybe pack your uniform in your backpack ...? Unless you're a cycling Garda ... ? In which case ... don't they issue you with shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Think a cyclist suntan is worse than a farmers tan. Just in from a spin around howth noticed a nice brown tan down my arms. Took the gloves off. My hands are completely white except for the tips of my fingers. gloves went slightly down my wrist so that part is white also. Will have to sit out in the sunshine for a while to correct it. Great to see so many people cycling along the coast and up howth hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I got a similar thing this weekend - though I apparently had one shorts-leg a bit shorter than the other :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

from reading this and one of the other threads, it looks like a lot of people got caught out with the sun this weekend. I know I did. This is the part I hate about cycling.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    from reading this and one of the other threads, it looks like a lot of people got caught out with the sun this weekend. I know I did. This is the part I hate about cycling.

The best are the pro cyclists ... i just love the tan on them, when they show footage of them being massaged by the physio ... stripes!

I am a bit scared about the helmet mark tho ... no you cant's really hide that very well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

I've had many years of sporting a golfer's tan - bronzed right arm and left arm down the wrist leaving a very pale and pasty looking left hand from wearing a glove!

After the long sunny weekend of golfing in the morning and cycling in the aftenoon I've counted about 10 different shades of skin tone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Have some severe lines after yesterday's ride -maybe it's time to wear gillets when out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

We left Tallaght on Sunday morning in the drizzling rain and fog and headed to Wicklow. All dressed in our wet gear. At the top of the Wicklow gap all wet gear removed due to the strong sun and got home that evening to see two sun burnt arms and both calf muscles glowing red !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah they really fcuked up the weather forecast for this past weekend.... was supposed to be wet and cloudy.... if *that's* wet and cloudy, I can't wait to see Sunny and Warm! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'm thinking about spending lunch lying outside wearing only arm-warmers and leg-warmers (and a strategically placed face cloth) to try and even things out. might get arrested though.

niceonetom wrote: »
    i'm thinking about spending lunch lying outside wearing only arm-warmers and leg-warmers (and a strategically placed face cloth) to try and even things out. might get arrested though.

Depends on how strategic the face cloth placement is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Depends on how strategic the face cloth placement is :)

i was thinking of using it to cover the bottom half of my face to even out the whiteness left by the helmet. maybe i need two face-cloths....

i was thinking of using it to cover the bottom half of my face to even out the whiteness left by the helmet. maybe i need two face-cloths....

This conversation ends NOW dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Lines or no, I’m very happy with the colour I’ve got. Some people actually go out and buy fake tan, then pay money to go to the gym. And they sit in traffic on their way to work. It’s the sort of madness that’ll drive a man to italics.
    Cycling+Sun=deadly.

You can fit both hands under a single face cloth? That's impressive...

-sorry Raam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

I am a bit scared about the helmet mark tho ... no you cant's really hide that very well ...

Much to my annoyance I found this out this weekend. Particularly for a dude who has his head shaved really tight. I look like a bleedin tiger now, albeit a sunburnt tiger.
    Though Im grateful as my helmet saved me noodle this weekend after a particularly bad fall.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I cover up with factor ridiculous+ whenever heading out in the sun, so never get stuck with a patchy tan.

I'm yet to find a lotion that doesn't cause horrible sweats around the face though, so I generally let my face take the risk :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, tanline season is definitely upon us. The most ridiculous is the glove tan, especially if you've holes in the back of the gloves like I have. You get two identical patchs of tan that look like bruises on the backs of your hands. Occasionally the straps of my helmet get tanned into the side of my face, but it usually fades away after a few days. I get a good few laughs when I turn out to play football. The shorts are shorter than cycling shorts, so it looks like you're wearing stockings.

el tonto wrote: »
    ...it looks like you're wearing stockings.

That's it, I'm giving up this cycling lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

el tonto wrote: »
    Yes, tanline season is definitely upon us. The most ridiculous is the glove tan, especially if you've holes in the back of the gloves like I have. You get two identical patchs of tan that look like bruises on the backs of your hands. Occasionally the straps of my helmet get tanned into the side of my face, but it usually fades away after a few days. I get a good few laughs when I turn out to play football. The shorts are shorter than cycling shorts, so it looks like you're wearing stockings.

It's grand - just wear a mankini...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

112-tanlines.jpg

I guess we can always do like them ...

0,1020,891969,00.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This is what lies ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I guess we can always do like them ...

Those don't look like appropriate shoes for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

And you'd get some nasty chafing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

got caught one day last year, wasn't a particularly sunny day but I spent 6 hours on the bike, wearing a t-shirt and fingerless gloves. My arms went bright purple from the elbow to the wrist, white hands and white above the elbow. back of my neck was in bits too. It was a good 6 weeks before I was back to normal :(

ordered this the other day, Long sleeves and collar ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

beans wrote: »

I'm yet to find a lotion that doesn't cause horrible sweats around the face though, so I generally let my face take the risk :)

Try a moisturiser with SPF - Check out this thread on the Fashion board for more details. I find the Neutrogena products to be pretty good.

Advertisement