Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking at getting a cuddy cabin

Options
  • 05-05-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting a boat around the end of the year, maybe early next year. Not anything crazy.. Maybe around 3-4k max budget. I've been looking on ebay and apolloduck - have seen a nice few for that price.

Ideally, just looking for something maybe 15-19 foot - to take up and down the suir on a day off.. maybe fish on a little too. I'd like something with a cabin, and a cooker for my unnatural love for cups of tea.

Any recommendations for a first time buyer? With my budget of around 3-4, will I have enough to get a 15-18 foot cuddy cabin that's reliable? As I understand it, a license is not required for boating. What about the following?

Insurance - Is this mandatory? I think I'd get it even if it wasn't.

Radio - I dabbled in amateur radio a few years back, so I'd imagine a license is required for marine frequencies. How intricate is the exam? Is an understanding of electronics and what not required, or is it more practical hands on? Is it required for the river, or more of a useful/hobby thing?

Place to keep - I'm not sure if I could park it up outside my house, it may be possible.. But What would the costs be for leaving it on the marina (I'm in Waterford city if that helps). Could you leave it there year-round, or is there bad weather conditions through winter that would make it unsafe?

Is their a security cert for boats to ensure they are river/seaworthy?

Is there much maintenance each month and year for the boat? Keeping it clean, checking for problem areas, engine checks, etc..?

And finally! Lessons, I'd imagine lessons would be recommended. Is there anywhere in Waterford that anyone knows of, or near?

John.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A lot of questions there, these guys would be able to answer them all;

http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

thanks, I'll check it out.

I registered on there but they never approved my account. Maybe they figured my name was a spammer or something. I re-registered with my real name. Hopefully they activate it.

They activated it, very helpful bunch over there. Thanks again Dyflin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

something like a shetland 535 would be suitable(there are already 1 or 2 in the harbour if i remember correctly), 30-40hp engine to counter the tidal current in the river. They are about 16ft and plenty stable, approved for coastal use (up to 3miles off shore). depending on what car you have it might be just trailed to the water but youll have to find a slipway, leaving a boat that size moored isnt worth the cost and there is a risk of vandalism, theft or sinking due to bad weather.
    Electrics arent necessary, handheld vhf, flashlight and fm radio all powered off batteries, gas powered stove and a kettle.
    Most people would recommend the powerboat course but its pricey. find somebody that has experience with boats to go with you for the first couple of times.

• Advertisement

Sounds Slig - I'm thinking of going with the shetland 535 or 536. 536 is a bit bigger and the cabin is roomier I believe. Does the 535 have a cooker like the 536 do you know?

both should have a cooker and a sink and a compartment on the other side for a porta loo, the 535 is has a very low cabin though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Very easy keep it in Waterford - the cutoff for the first price band is 18ft so if you were to get one that size rather than 19, you'll save yourself about €130 a year.
    Annual costs in Waterford are published on the web here.

Granny boat club also have a marina by the hotel in Canada Street, plus they have the slip at Granny - very easy to launch and recover boats if you don't want to be in the water all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I'm not sure there's any places available at the jettys in Waterford - I heard recently that they're full.
    Maybe someone else in the know can confirm.

However, as a member of Granny Boat Club, I can say that launching at the slip is very easy and well set up. Just be careful at low tide due to possible mud on the slip.

Yeah I saw the Granny one on the way to Dunmore. I heard they change per foot, opposed to ranges?

Slig, thanks.

• Advertisement

I emailed the Corporation a while ago about getting a berth and got this reply
    There are always berths available at the Marina although we do not have
    any designated berths. You can berth at either the Plaza or the Clock
    Tower.

Yeah I was under the impression that you can pay more for a designated area however.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yeah I was under the impression that you can pay more for a designated area however.

not that I'm aware of. In your case, you'd probably be small enough to get a spot on the inside and rarely get rafted to - all the bigger boats stay on the outside of the pontoons.

I wouldn't be worried either way :) I'm sure I'd scoot in somewhere.

I wouldn't be worried either way :) I'm sure I'd scoot in somewhere.

Might be worth PMing Scaldybelt about membership of Granny - I'm sure he'd be able to fill you in on any other details about mooring/launching/fees etc.. As Slig said, if you can, it may be as easy to just trail it to the slip when you want to use it - the grand you'd save on mooring fees/ anti-fouling would help pay for a trailer.

To answer your other questions (that I just noticed weren't addressed from the first post :D) - there isn't a cert for boats, but the RNLI will do a free sea-check on your boat for you and take you through a bunch of safety aspects - it's well worth doing. (although it's free, a donation is much appreciated - you may need them sometime!)

Officially a licence is required to operate a VHF but it's not really enforced - the authorities take the view that if they were to really enforce it, lots of people would just stop using radios and rely on mobile phones. Knowing a bit about radio etiquette and usage is worthwhile, if only to avoid a ticking off for trying to have a conversation on Channel 16!

Insurance isn't mandatory but it's not that expensive - get it.

Winter conditions on the Suir aren't particularly stormy so there'd be no problem there, but for something that size, I'd definitely be taking it out unless I was using it constantly.

Maintenance won't be much - especially if you trailer it in and out when you use it - a quick wash down each time (powerhose if possible) and it should be mostly fine. The majority of wear occurs on boats left in the water with fouled bottoms, salt water attacking the props etc... - a tilting outboard would save the engine, again this isn't an issue if you launch on demand - just remember that if you're not going to use it for a while to run the engine briefly in a bin of fresh clean water - clears out the cooling system nicely.

Experience is better than lessons - get someone else to go out with you for a while - the tidal flows in Waterford can be tricky and many qualified people have trouble there when they first come in, so being aware of that is good.

You can check out the club site here:
    http://www.grannyboatclub.com/welcome.htm

This years fees are €80 euro for the year (launch as often as you like). That gets you a key to access the slip. It also gives you access to a permanently fixed hose in a locked cabinet which is useful to give the boat a hose down on the trailer before you head home. There is also talk of putting back a PortaCabin for changing/showering after water skiing etc, but that may be later in the year or next year.

One thing I'd say regarding the permanent mooring option is to have a good outboard lock on your engine(s), as there has been an increase in outboard thefts from marinas/moorings around the country. The thieves in most cases will come in amongst the boats at night in smaller boats, remove and take them away.
    For this reason (as well as the obvious annual saving on fees, I choose to trail my boat(s) home each time). At least at the house, I know that the trailers are locked and I can do jobs on them from time to time as necessary. Of course it also means I can launch wherever I wish around the country - coasts Shannon, lakes.

You should try and get a decent trailer included in whatever boat you purchase (especially if the boat is under 20ft).

PM me if you have any other questions. I may know of a suitable boat also.

Sorry to drag up an old thread - Thanks for the link Scaldy. I'm looking at a 15 footer, which I'm just going to use the slip for instead of mooring. I'll get in contact with the Granny club when I buy it.

Thanks for the heads up Eoin.

Delighted to be of assistance. I might see you down there some time in the future. PM me the boat name/description when you get it, I'll keep an eye out as I launch my 16ft skiboat at Granny from time to time also. :cool:

Excellent! Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Slig wrote: »
    Most people would recommend the powerboat course but its pricey. find somebody that has experience with boats to go with you for the first couple of times.

Training is not mandatory but i would highly recommend it for a first time buyer / skipper. I've sailed for years, am a yachtmaster and have used RIBs on and off. I learned a lot of new stuff on the 2 day Powerboat course I took recently.

A trained instructor is a lot more likely to give you better manouvre, MOB recovery, rules-of-the-road skills than a casual guest. Also a comprehensive awareness of weather, tides, hazards, emergency procedures and skipper responsibilities will be gained .Finally it's fun you will meet other new owners in the same boat (ba-dum!)

Cost maybe 200 euros? Money well spent and responsibly if you're going to be around boats for the years ahead.

5 providers in Waterford. See http://www.sailing.ie/training/courseSearch.asp

Good luck !

• Advertisement

Spinnaker wrote: »
    Training is not mandatory but i would highly recommend it for a first time buyer / skipper. I've sailed for years, am a yachtmaster and have used RIBs on and off. I learned a lot of new stuff on the 2 day Powerboat course I took recently.

A trained instructor is a lot more likely to give you better manouvre, MOB recovery, rules-of-the-road skills than a casual guest. Also a comprehensive awareness of weather, tides, hazards, emergency procedures and skipper responsibilities will be gained .Finally it's fun you will meet other new owners in the same boat (ba-dum!)

Cost maybe 200 euros? Money well spent and responsibly if you're going to be around boats for the years ahead.

5 providers in Waterford. See http://www.sailing.ie/training/courseSearch.asp

Good luck !

I didnt mean to sound anyway negative about the powerboat course, I am all on for licensing and I believe that it is daft in this country that the only knowledge you need to pilot any size boat is how to fill out a cheque.
    I havent done the course yet because I cant afford it but I havent been to sea yet either. I fully intend to do it in Athlone but its 250 euro for the one day beginners course and a further 350 euro and 2 days to get your internationally recognised cert.
    Money well spent but I dont have it

No slight mean against Slig whatsoever...

It is indeed a good idea to head with someone experienced to build up some time on your local tidal waters. Ideally training could be taken a little later. Learning will go on in any case with boat use and interacting with others.

I'm only recommending a powerboat course as a matter of experienced opinion and, like Slig, at a non rip-off price ;-) Start with level II not level I. I did mine in Dublin and I can't recall the exact price. Shop around of course.

Found a Shetland 535. Only 195 to birth it for the winter. Happy days :D

Best of luck with it.

Good deal - well done.

Thanks guys :D Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Well J,
    Did you go for the one in Carlow and if so, will we be seeing you on the river next week?;);)
    Mark.

Hifive wrote: »
    Well J,
    Did you go for the one in Carlow and if so, will we be seeing you on the river next week?;);)
    Mark.

Mark, I checked it out - but there was a bit of DIY work involved, so I'm collecting a different one this Friday with no DIY work whatsoever (same model, shetland 535) and a better engine with automatic start! Also, I rang the Marina about mooring, I just need to drop them in an insurance slip for the boat before I get my keyfob and I should be good to go by this Sunday!

So - I'll drop you a line once she's in the Water and you can get a look! :D

J.

Mark, I checked it out - but there was a bit of DIY work involved, so I'm collecting a different one this Friday with no DIY work whatsoever (same model, shetland 535) and a better engine with automatic start! Also, I rang the Marina about mooring, I just need to drop them in an insurance slip for the boat before I get my keyfob and I should be good to go by this Sunday!

So - I'll drop you a line once she's in the Water and you can get a look! :D

J.

Congrats on the new money pit:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Congrats.
    The two happiest days in a man's life - the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells it.

Advertisement