Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Roundup

Options
  • 05-05-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

So I am going to get busy with roundup tomorrow (weather permitting).

I have a young hedge running around my garden that is being throttled by grass that I cant cut with a mower.

My questions are

(1) how close to the actual hedge base can I spray the roundup ??

(2) do i need to get the surrounding grass down to a low level before I spray ??

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Avoid any drift onto hedge, Roundup is a veryy effective weed controller. No need (actually a bad idea) to cut grass prior to spraying, outside temps are high and wind is soft so really ideal conditions today to spray Roundup.

An alternative to Roundup (but too late in season to us eis Casoron G/Easy weed). This is a granular systemic weedkiller (similar to Roundup) but can be applied during wet spells, remains active for 12 months and does not affect deep rooted shrub/trees. So this is ideal for spreading around hedges etc.

Casoron G should only be used during Oct-April, avoid warm days as this can affect weedkiller, release gases and damage nearby foliage etc. Otherwise it is very simple, and easy to use. Perfectly safe for pets/plants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

I spray Roundup around the base of hedges with no adverse effects. It is not good at killing woody plants, but dynamite on grasses.

You don't have to cut the grass first, but it will look neater if you do.

Don't expect instant results - it takes up to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Many thanks.

I ended up mowing and edging my lawn yesterday so did not use any roundup.

Will get it down tomorrow under the hedge.

So, to get this right; to avoid disaster, I just need to avoid spraying any of the leaves on the hedge, otherwise it is bombs away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

It will only work on green foliage. It won't work on the brown twiggy bits of the hedge. Avoid the hedge leaves and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just an update...

It seems to be working very well, grass has turned yellow and is dying away.

However, some of the tougher weeds don't seem to be disappearing anywhere fast. I might have to reapply in places with a stronger mix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement