Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSE ? What do you need to get it ?

Options
  • 05-05-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with this ? What exams do you need for it ? The MS website makes no sense to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

MCSE 2003 consists of 7 exams

There are 4 core networking exams to do

They are
    You need to do 1 client exam and that can be either XP or Vista (2000 has been deprecated at this stage)

Then you need 1 design exam which is either of the following
    And finally 1 elective from a fairly extensive list. You can for example if you do the XP client exam, you can do the vista client one as your elective.

The MCSA 2003 is a subset of the MCSE and requires 4 exams. Most people go the route of MCSA and then to MCSE.

As you have stated you are not too familiar at Windows stuff this may be a road you dont want to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You might also want to take a look at the MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. The MCSE was dropped for server 2008 and these qualifications took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Ginger wrote: »
    MCSE 2003 consists of 7 exams

There are 4 core networking exams to do

They are
    You need to do 1 client exam and that can be either XP or Vista (2000 has been deprecated at this stage)

Then you need 1 design exam which is either of the following
    And finally 1 elective from a fairly extensive list. You can for example if you do the XP client exam, you can do the vista client one as your elective.

The MCSA 2003 is a subset of the MCSE and requires 4 exams. Most people go the route of MCSA and then to MCSE.

As you have stated you are not too familiar at Windows stuff this may be a road you dont want to go down

true might do linux+ first and then my red hats's ccna.

axer wrote: »
    You might also want to take a look at the MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. The MCSE was dropped for server 2008 and these qualifications took over.

the MCSE is still quite valid.. Only the name was updated to reflect the new naming practices of the new certs (MCTS,MCITP)

rom wrote: »
    true might do linux+ first and then my red hats's ccna.

Red Hat do CCNAs now :D

I am willing to bet that you meant, Linux+ followed by the Red Hat exams and then the CCNA exams.

Not a bad idea, still would have a look at Security+ while you are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ginger wrote: »
    the MCSE is still quite valid.. Only the name was updated to reflect the new naming practices of the new certs (MCTS,MCITP)
    I know the mcse is still valid but the MCSE neither equals the MCITP: Server Administrator nor MCITP: Enterprise Administrator directly - it is more than just a name change. It is something the OP should consider instead of the MCSE.

Advertisement