Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saluting other cyclists, what's the protocol?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Verb wrote: »
    How exactly do you judge the other cyclist to be your equal and if they merit a hello ?

If you don't know, then you ain't in!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Thinking about developing a ridiculously over-the-top acknowledgement a la Arnold Rimmer (Red Dwarf). The old flowery military salute - won't miss that one! Now to practice not going over the handlebars while using it...
    Maybe that should be the official Boardie salute? I've given up on the old 'Hitler-greeting' style, as I was getting funny looks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

rp wrote: »
    Maybe that should be the official Boardie salute? I've given up on the old 'Hitler-greeting' style, as I was getting funny looks...

Seconded, enough of this low key nod/girly-boy raising of hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I've actually gotten a nod or a wave from a few motorcyclists while out on the road bike. I find it great encouragement when your riding through a town and you get a few claps or cheers from people pushing you on.

Also, get the odd car rolling down the window right beside you and yelling encouragement, which I find puts me in the stitches and nearly falling off the bike. :D

All in the name of fun and laughs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

shapez wrote: »
    I've actually gotten a nod or a wave from a few motorcyclists while out on the road bike. I find it great encouragement when your riding through a town and you get a few claps or cheers from people pushing you on.

Also, get the odd car rolling down the window right beside you and yelling encouragement, which I find puts me in the stitches and nearly falling off the bike. :D

All in the name of fun and laughs!!

This recently happened to me was heading towards the bridge at leeson street coming from the donnybrook direction - bunch of lads in their early 20's went passed me in a punto, beeping the horn, shouting and yahooing and general "go on ya boy ya" type stuff

I also being in my early 20's caught them at the lights a few seconds latter, and slid past blasting the airzound - cue more cheers and shouting from the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

i nodded, smiled and waved at every cyclist i passed in the Phoenix Park on Sunday (loads of 'em). Not a single response, except for a nasty Father Jack like sneer from one lad on a roadbike.

i have to say that I was expecting a better response than that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Afraid I have to disagree with the OP here - I've always (90%+) given and gotten a nod, wave or a hello off any cyclist I've passed, leisure, mtb or roadie. I mustn't be on the fashionable routes where the bike snobs are:p If I make eye contact in the city I'll usually nod or acknowledge another person but I wouldn't expect cyclists to be going around like Crocodile Dundee in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

sorry to hear the messengers are sneering at your bike Verb, ignore them, some of them still cant fix their bikes(closed down my service centre-garage):D

Give them my salute, its a bit old fashioned but effective and you only use two fingers, and dont forget the smile.

I used to acknowledge most but with work and sometimes the situation it was not possilbe. not practical to do the leg wave, as so many of my motorbike buddies do, on a fixie. my friend is so focused(or daydreaming) that he never says hello.

No matter what we do, theres always going to be muppets who think they are better. ignore them or beat them.
    ride safe
    dotC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Some times I just don't see other cyclists on the other side of the road and I'll keep my hands on the bars when I'm going over uneven ground, often, or cornering. I don't salute commuters cos I'd never have both hands on the bars for any length of time with the amount of them on the road esp during this recent spell of good weather. I will say a "Good morning" or "Hi there" when passing a fellow drop bar cyclist. Having said this I didn't this morning :rolleyes: twice! Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

When I'm out I'll lift my right hand off the bars slightly and give a wave to anyone who passes on a bike in the other direction. If I know them, or if they are close enough I shout 'Alright?!' If the other cyclist is a tourist with all their touring gear on board I make an elaboate show of lifting my right arm right up and give them a big thumbs up as I have a tonne of respect for them and they seem to appreciate the gesture.

The only people who never reciprocate a wave are mountain bikers or cycling noobies on el cheapo bikes (you know the type, the people who wear big fat white trainers and wear shorts in the winter).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

el tel wrote: »
    The only people who never reciprocate a wave are mountain bikers or cycling noobies on el cheapo bikes (you know the type, the people who wear big fat white trainers and wear shorts in the winter).
    stop following me!
    and i do reciprocate the wave.
    on a slightly off topic note, did anyone around glencullen/sally gap area come across a bloke in a tweety bird outfit? he was hanging around a house a couple of miles past johnny fox's. odd.

Advertisement