Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Box Advice

Options
  • 05-05-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,
    I am looking to bring my bike bag on plane from Australia.
    I am wondering what people's opinions are on just getting a shop to pack it in cardboard? How secure is this from damage? I have 3 connecting flights in total before I get back to Dublin so I'd be concerned about my bikes welfare from the those baggage handlers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

By the way trying to avoid buying bike box or bag as they cost a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

snack_ie wrote: »
    By the way trying to avoid buying bike box or bag as they cost a fortune

I had the same question a few weeks ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055270607

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If your bike is worth a few quid bite the bullet and get the bike box. No-one will be able to give you any assurances that your bike will survive the trip otherwise. 50 of us went to the etape a couple of years ago. about 20 had soft bike cases or cardboard. One of the lads with the cardboard boxes (wrapped in a soft padded bike carry bag) ended up with a cracked top of the line 7000 euro Pinarello.... The rest were fine although some had minor damage, scratching etc...

Advertisement