Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big garda clampdown over weekend?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep went through 2 check points nothing said, except ''I suppose ya haddnt had a drink then?''
    ''No''

''on your way''

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Think i was caught speeding after coming out of the port tunnel and heading towards the point. Was doing about 60kms an hour in a 50. Wonder how many deaths or serious injuries have been recorded on that dangerous stretch of road. Didn't see too many on the back roads on sat night or parked in pub car parks neither. Shooting fish in a barell springs to mind!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

D_murph wrote: »
    i did a fair bit of driving on all 3 days of this weekend and i saw nothing here either :).

having said that there has been a lot of speedtraps here in the last month or so. most of them on that "death trap" of a Ballincollig bypass :rolleyes: but nothing on the "safe" back roads as usual.
    Worst of all is the fact that the Ballincollig bypass, like all Dual Carriageways in this country built to Motorway standard has a design speed of no less than 160 km/h(or 100 mph). So why can't we go at 160 km/h on it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

E92 wrote: »
    Worst of all is the fact that the Ballincollig bypass, like all Dual Carriageways in this country built to Motorway standard has a design speed of no less than 160 km/h(or 100 mph). So why can't we go at 160 km/h on it then?

i think we all know why that is ;). if the limit was proper, there would be no money made off it :rolleyes:. its disgustion to see how heavily they police this lovely safe road while ignoring places where accidents actually happen though :mad:. im surprised lately if i dont actually see them there TBH.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Speed Trap on Gorey Bypass other than that havent seen any all weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thats because if the speed limit was 160 km/h you would get muppets exceeding that speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

newmills wrote: »
    Think i was caught speeding after coming out of the port tunnel and heading towards the point. Was doing about 60kms an hour in a 50. Wonder how many deaths or serious injuries have been recorded on that dangerous stretch of road. Didn't see too many on the back roads on sat night or parked in pub car parks neither. Shooting fish in a barell springs to mind!!

I'd say you were unfortunatley, hopefully not of course! The Guards are always there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Travelled about 800 miles this weekend and not a single checkpoint anywhere, a few Garda cars here and there but no checkpoints. Why is it that they ask you where your going to or coming from? If your on your way to rob a bank your hardly going to tell them.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Cionád wrote: »
    Over the weekend seen two speed checks in Leixlip, and (i think) a gatso in Maynooth. - Not sure if it was a gatso but it was parked up on the path, under a bridge and didn't seem to have any other reason for being there.

Hi, what day/time and where were these? Was driving in Leixlip and Maynooth all weekend but never saw them :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

junkyard wrote: »
    Why is it that they ask you where your going to or coming from? If your on your way to rob a bank your hardly going to tell them.:rolleyes:

They can tell a lot from a response. You can lie through your teeth but they can notice signs of a lie depending on how you respond. Not everyone can tell a lie without giving an indication that they may be fibbing. Plus, if anything happens in the town or area they have a fair idea of who passed through, if they found any suspicous or watever.

They keep you talking to see if you have been drinking (can smell it, or notice if your speach is slurred etc). Sometimes the question answered will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

D_murph wrote: »

having said that there has been a lot of speedtraps here in the last month or so. most of them on that "death trap" of a Ballincollig bypass :rolleyes: but nothing on the "safe" back roads as usual.

Yes, windy backroads are the ideal place to put speedtraps. Nothng like coming round a blind bend to be faced with a gard with a camera 20 feet away. No way that could end badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Hi, what day/time and where were these? Was driving in Leixlip and Maynooth all weekend but never saw them :o

Saturday night they were outside Confey Church doing a Tax, Insurance and have you been drinking check.
    Monday Afternoon, outside San Carlo school catching people coming up the Captains Hill..

Thank you Mr/Mrs Ceilica driver who pulled into Avondale causing me to slow down belof the limit btw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Yeah i saw them on highly dangourous "straight" sections of road, but no more them a normal weekend, N7, N9 (before carlow fine wide section of a road, think around Moone not 100%). Didn't see drink driving checkpoints but thats cause i was drinking so walking but they were there to turf us out of the pub at 12 on sunday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Where did you get that information from ? Its not up to motorway standard, it has too many exits too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Saw none and that is over 1100 miles.
    Up to bushmills on Thursday from Tipperary, Down to Belfast, From Belfast to offaly, offaly to tipperary, tipperary to clonmel two or three times and Tipp to Limerick and back again. Saw none

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has anyone noticed that in the last few bank holiday weekends that we have had only 1 death at most compared to the usual 5 or 6, and that nobody in the RSA or the Guards has mentioned it?
    Never got these stats. "Yes, Jimmy got killed. Got killed last year as well. This is the 2nd year in a row"... Since new people get killed, I wonder how you can say that "less people" are getting killed, if the people who got killed last year, are, well, dead? If you play Mario Kart, you can say you are improving, as you get a better time each lap, but by these stats, the government is improving the time by having a totally different person try the lap each time, and patting themselves on the back for it...:confused:
    I believe that they are legally only allowed to ask you name & address, you do not have to answer where you're going to/from.
    Hmmm... not saying where you're coming from? House party? Pub? Let's get out of the car there please, sonny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I saw a garda doing a speed check on people LEAVING Toomevarra on Sunday.

I rang Nenagh Garga Station and asked why they are clocking people leaving the villiage and not targeting people entering the villiage? Surely that would do more for Safety?? He just grunted and said they could do as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

There was a handheld check with Garda on motorbike on Friday evening outside Rockingham estate(facing towards Louisa Bridge). Another check(car) outside the school in Confey, was either Friday or Saturday. - not sure on exact times.

The Gatso was parked under the footbridge at NUI Maynooth on Sunday around midday, facing Kilcock (where the limit goes from 80-60-50 in sucession).

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yes, windy backroads are the ideal place to put speedtraps. Nothng like coming round a blind bend to be faced with a gard with a camera 20 feet away. No way that could end badly.

theres no need to put a camera on a windy backroad anyway as it will most likely catch no one. the speed limits on a lot of them exceed the limit on some good former main roads that have recently been bypassed or some 60kph stretches of "dangerous" dual carriageway :rolleyes: which can yield the speeding ticket quotas far faster anyway so why bother?

80kmh on a windy back road is "not a target" sure, but its still to much for the road as far as being a natural limit goes but 60kmh on a dual carriageway? if you were so hapless that you had to actually crawl like that on one, you should not even be on the road.

its always the same old arguments regarding the placement of speed limits on here but in real life, where are the accidents actually taking place? dual carriageways or back roads?

is drink driving being taken into account either when they happen?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sandwich: The usual routine is to tell you to the pull over and to "have a chat". Where are you going ? Where have you come from ? What are you up to ? Reason for journey ? etc etc.

Me and my mate ran into a checkpoint at 1:30am after a gig. He didnt do anything more than talk to us for nearly 10 minutes about music. He must have been bored considering no traffic what so ever lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I was in Virginia, Cavan yesterday and there was an unmarked garda car catching people speeding in the town. I mean I passed by the car a few times and he always had people pulled over. At one stage there was a Citreon going by the unmarked at no more than 55-60 kmph and the unmarked put on the lights straight away and tore off after the Citreon!

While I recognise the fact that people should not be doing anymore than 50 in a built up area, surely it would be more benificial to have that unmarked checking for speeding on a national road rather than the middle of a town!!!! And also the unmarked was parked down a laneway so how are you supposed to see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Cork-Limerick-Nenagh-Offaly-Athlone on Friday night
    1 static checkpoint, 2 speed traps, and a whole bunch at the scene of a nasty looking crash on the N20 near the Dorradoyle junction.

Coming back, on monday evening, No cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Kilkenny to dungarvan and back, and met one car in Lemybrien but they had a motorcyclist pulled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Real busy bank-holiday week-end for the Gardai down here in Kerry when we held the Rally of the Lakes ...
    - 71 cars were impounded, mainly young boy-racers who got their cars back on payment of a fee ...
    - 64 arrests in Killarney betweeen 2pm on Friday and 6am on Monday
    - 32 arrests in Tralee and 7 in Listowel

Their was garda re-inforcements, including members of the dog unit. We had the garda helicopter on Friday; was due again on Saturday and Sunday but not present because of technical difficulties.

It must have been one of the busiest in the country for the Gardai on the week-end just gone. The week-end was very peaceful and they always had it in-hand, the Gardai done a fantastic job, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Stekelly wrote: »
    Which is why all the unmanned cameras are deployed on stretches like that. Oh, wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

surely it would be more benificial to have that unmarked checking for speeding on a national road rather than the middle of a town!!!!

Where is it more dangerous to speed? On a national road, or in the middle of a town where there's pedestrians everywhere/people getting out of parked cars without looking before opening the door/etc :eek:

And also the unmarked was parked down a laneway so how are you supposed to see them!

That's the idea... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wertz wrote: »
    I dodged two checkpoints yesterday afternoon in the Dundalk area.
    Don't know exactly what they're going to achieve stopping cars at 2pm of a sunday on a main urban thoroughfare...especially when they place their checkpoints where they can be avoided, via turning off.

Why "dodge" or "avoid" them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Where is it more dangerous to speed? On a national road, or in the middle of a town where there's pedestrians everywhere/people getting out of parked cars without looking before opening the door/etc :eek:

I dunno... where? And why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Why "dodge" or "avoid" them? :confused:

Why not? Who needs to sit in a tailback on a sunny sunday afternoon?
    Oh and my tax is out :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement